Greetings from Norfolk

Phipps

Hello-Just wanted to thank firstly the admin for getting me validated here.

Secondly,greeting to you all from myself.My name's Andrew Phillips,but the nickname's been Phipps for some time now(in fact,since the numbers in my age were the other way 'round when I was 14!).

It was about then that I loosened my interest in Britains Farm models & I stopped buying things at about 15-16 years of age.Mainly started other interests(the natural progression most of us make at that age into going out,dating etc).

Anyway,at the ripe age of 41 now,I've just discovered a cupboard at my dad's place chocca-full of unboxed Britains farm items which are going to be cleaned,checked,repaired(if needed,but most of it seems intact) & I maye have a few spare items I would happily swap in the future.I must point out that it is an interest I have & I am NOT a professional trader in any way.

Just keen on filling a few gaps within my set,so if anyone can help,I would be grateful.

Thanks

Andrew

Thanks for the greetings & warning Gavin.I'm aware that a lot of things I'd like are classed as vintage,but I have to confess been overdoing things on the OO gauge model railway front of recent(another hobby).Been back into this aspect of models(1/32 Farm items) less than one week & bought two tractors(a MF7490 & New HollandT6070) for £30.

I really only hanker after a Massey Combine 760,a MF200 trailer & either an Alfa Laval or Bauer slurry tanker,all roughly from the 1980s era.A horsebox from that period would be useful too to go with my spare Land Rover.

From there,I'm hoping to find a few places that do replacement items like stickers & also anywhere(outlet-wise) that produces farm buildings or materials for DIY buildings.Very lucky in one sense that there's so much stuff stored at my Father's,I only need 4 or 5 odd items.

BTW-Don't know if this is okay to mention,but I'm in North Norfolk,around the Holt area,so I can enjoy both Railways as well as seeing Farms/machinery on the land.I meet a NH T6080 on a regular basis whilst driving a school bus.

Edited by Phipps

Hello and welcome. The area around Holt is beautiful as I had a cousin who was a teacher there. People think Norfolk is flat and uninteresting but they have never been into the north of the county.

We have something in common as OO gauge (1:76) is one of my collecting interests although farming related along with 1:32 but mostly the pre- and immediate post-war variety. I also love model railways and I do believe we are not alone in that!

Buildings, materials, stickers etc? You have come to the right place. Plenty of info on where to get all of those - forum members as well as external links to suppliers.

welcome aboard! you'll enjoy your time here and if searching correctly, you wont have any trouble in finding what you are looking for.

for Britains parts, there are a few addresses you can mail to. one is Dave Towse, the other Henri Walker, contact details are probably somewhere on this forum, but i would need to check..

for models there are also a few trade places (and this forums classifieds) that might have those on offer. Ebay is one of them, but also farm toy shows (the english members on here, will probably know if there are any in your area)..

for your diorama needs.. there is really only one person to go to (lady ferguson on here) Mandy of hollylovestoys.com

enjoy your time on here and please dont hesitate showing your hobby related endavours or ask questions..

welcome aboard! you'll enjoy your time here and if searching correctly, you wont have any trouble in finding what you are looking for.

for Britains parts, there are a few addresses you can mail to. one is Dave Towse, the other Henri Walker, contact details are probably somewhere on this forum, but i would need to check..

for models there are also a few trade places (and this forums classifieds) that might have those on offer. Ebay is one of them, but also farm toy shows (the english members on here, will probably know if there are any in your area)..

for your diorama needs.. there is really only one person to go to (lady ferguson on here) Mandy of hollylovestoys.com

enjoy your time on here and please dont hesitate showing your hobby related endavours or ask questions..

I couldn't agree more - Mandy is the business and if you want tractor drivers she has some stunning ones.

As for farm toy shows - Spalding is 1st April and well worth visiting - we'll all be there (a lot of us at least) Meet up at the Model Farmer stand (or in the pub on Saturday night 8) )

Thanks for the grettings & warning Gavin.I'm aware that a lot of things I'd like are classed as vintage,but I have to confess been overdoing things on the OO gauge model railway front of recent(another hobby).Been back into this aspect of models(1/32 Farm items) less than one week & bought two tractors(a MF7490 & New HollandT6070) for £30.

I really only hanker after a Massey Combine 760,a MF200 trailer & either an Alfa Laval or Bauer slurry tanker,all roughly from the 1980s era.A horsebox from that period would be useful too to go with my spare Land Rover.

From there,I'm hoping to find a few places that do replacement items like stickers & also anywhere(outlet-wise) that produces farm buildings or materials for DIY buildings.Very lucky in one sense that there's so much stuff stored at my Father's,I only need 4 or 5 odd items.

BTW-Don't know if this is okay to mention,but I'm in North Norfolk,around the Holt area,so I can enjoy both Railways as well as seeing Farms/machinery on the land.I meet a NH T6080 on a regular basis whilst driving a school bus.

That makes two of us then, I live and work 6 miles away from Holt

Welcome aboard Phipps.. well done for taking the plunge and writing such a lovely introduction for us all. It's a real pleasure to have you on-board and I look forward to watching you slowly become 'digested' by out lovely hobby all over again as you re-live your youth. I'm a young and spritely 45 myself... and like you, spots and ladies took over for me at 15-16 ... anyway... if you ned any help just ask - that's what us moderators are here for.

Gavalar... is Holt Cheese Shop still going... was once of my customers in about 1988!

Fraid that the Cheese Shop's not there anymore,but you'll have to give me an idea roughly where it was in the town in relation to Larners/Bakers etc.One end's got a War Memorial & the Railway Pub,the other has an electrical shop & the King's Head Pub.

I can always post up a link to Holt with pics if this helps.

Thank you to everyone who's made me feel really welcome.A feeling of warmth in terms of community spirit & good to know our town's popular with folk other than just Stephen Fry, Roger Lloyd-Pack & sometimes Camilla PB who shops here!!

A popular pastime a few years back was a vintage tractor run through town from the coast to Hunworth(3-4 miles south) once a year on a Sun morn.It might be an event that is still going but I'm not sure......

A beautiful part of the country up there - I know it well as my parents took me on holiday up there every year until I learned to drive! Still go up there pretty regularly now with my wife and kids - stay near Stiffkey - which I don't think is far from Gav based on the pictures posted up over the last couple of years.

Did your latest Britains models come from Starlings in Holt by any chance? They don't have much of a range there but they still have 1 or 2 bits around. There used to be a great toy shop near the war memorial a few years ago - I bought a Siku Lexion 480 from it - but it's sadly gone now. Sometimes Trevor has a Britains model or two kicking around at Howell's 'Superstores' in Binham - might also be worth a look....

Hi MROL.The stuff I've bought this week was all online I'm sorry to admit.Just picked up a John Deere 7280R tractor (my 3rd in a week ???).My idea was 3,4 or 5 tractors,but not to go daft

There are still one or two bits in Starlings(mostly hay bales & Hereford cattle) but two of the tractors are the same Case IH Steiger.Don't know whether it's a 535 or 600,but it's priced at £22,which doesn't seem too bad for such a huge-looking thing.Didn't know Binham Stores sold the stuff(we ARE talking about the little shop with petrol pumps & a forecourt,yes?)

Overall,I don't feel that there's much I should add,as much of the 1980s things at the old place just need a cleaning down & general sorting out.All the animals,animal buildings,implements,fence,walls,hay bales etc have as much relevance now as they did nearly 30 years ago.It's only some modern machinery could be added.

Can anyone recommend a good,all-round Harvester I should be considering later in the year?

Edited by Phipps

Binham stores doesn't usually have much - maybe 1 or 2 things (one of which is usually a landrover) and their normally in the 'general merchandise' area to the left as you walk in (and yes, I do mean the one with the petrol pumps - the shop is to the right of the pumps).

On harvesters - Britains are releasing a new JD on tracks at some point soon - so that could be good if you like dark green. Or Siku have a Claas Lexion 770 on tracks due later in the year as well - if you prefer light green! UH also have a New Holland coming out on tracks - I suspect that will be pretty pricey - £70-80. There were a few non-track machines last year - but this year all seems to be about harvesters with tracks!

A beautiful part of the country up there - I know it well as my parents took me on holiday up there every year until I learned to drive! Still go up there pretty regularly now with my wife and kids - stay near Stiffkey - which I don't think is far from Gav based on the pictures posted up over the last couple of years.

Did your latest Britains models come from Starlings in Holt by any chance? They don't have much of a range there but they still have 1 or 2 bits around. There used to be a great toy shop near the war memorial a few years ago - I bought a Siku Lexion 480 from it - but it's sadly gone now. Sometimes Trevor has a Britains model or two kicking around at Howell's 'Superstores' in Binham - might also be worth a look....

You're not wrong there, I'm at Langham so only a village or two away. If Arkwright has any Britains models in Binham I'd be surprised if they were at a "good" price :lol: :ha ha!:

His fuel's never been cheap,so being a village store,you can hardly expect to find a bargain.

Reminds me of my Auntie's local shop in Clare,Suffolk being well-stocked for Britains things in the 1980s.It was there I found the MB1500 I have upstairs.........

greeting andrew, welcome to ftf, another norfolk boy eh, gav will start feeling at home if this keeps up :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: at least i wont have to go and see him now whem i am up that way, never like crossing the border into the dark lands when i am up that way

Cheers there Tractorman.The odd thing is I'm an exiled Geordie who's lived in the county since 1984 & prior to that,I'd lived in the Anglian region since I was five in 1975.I guess it's the area's influence that has kept my interest,but I'm not actually a farmer,nor worked on the land at any time.It was my Mum who started buying us the toys(my first things were some animals & the Fergie 595 you see in my avatar picture).

Just been home to bring back two boxes worth of items.All need a good clean,but already my Renault & the Fergie 2680 with the silvergrey cab have come up a treat.Can't believe that 2680 is nearly 30 years old cos it looks great.

Edited by Phipps