Oakley Estate Farms

1 hour ago, SPN said:

thanks Stan,i knew about the lemken,and horsch,i had one of those,it was just that i hadnt seen that kuhn one before,but that kuhn one doesnt look like the one Alex has

Not a great deal happening on farm at the moment, lots of wheat and rape outgoing on Nov movement contracts which keeps the handlers busy, managed to send Mark up to Drews to collect our row crops and some weights that we have been waiting for, still waiting for 2 more to arrive. Philip brought back the pisten bully from Orchard to be put away in the shed for winter. Workshop jobs are now starting and we have changed wheels on our Larrington trailer to bigger wider ones to help footprints, and the 2 black Fendts have had bigger boots fitted.

image.thumb.jpg.8398648a94a9ecf6fe1a8ae5image.thumb.jpg.9a04b76cac8a093a280c7e3cimage.thumb.jpg.42da3fe11c61ff3f34c48659image.thumb.jpg.63a6eeb4b64b067cba27a4ae

• Like 4

In my opinion and some would argue, one pisten bully will do the work of 2 wheeled loaders on the pit, with consolidation 10 times better, 

Better Consolidation = less wastage

Less wastage = more gas production

More gas = higher return

= bully paid for?

I can see why it is only a machine for very large dairy units and ad plants, versatility is not its strength. 

Edited by Oakley Farms
  • Like 1

Def a second hand machine with out a doubt, such a big outlay for a brand new pit machine, only doing AD work too its not the thing many would hire in on dairy farms round here, certainly has great output and capacity, and you know me and tracked machines ;) the other way to look at it is i'll mount a slug spinner on the back for salt spreading and will be alright if it snows!

• Like 1

Hi Alex, enjoying your updates and pictures, it is all on a far bigger area than I'm used to farming. You say the pisten bully gives better consolidation, but aren't they designed for minimum  compaction, therefore a wheeled loader would be better suited to pit work? I'm not picking fault, I'm no expert on the matter! I can see that they are able to shift more crop. Are they limited to maize? I can't see them coping with grass easily. 

12 hours ago, Oakley Farms said:

Indeed Joe, looking at them they are very fast on the pit and compaction second to none, just starting to creep into the UK. Whats that on the back of yours, a radiator pack?

Yes Alex,an external radiator,a lot of the GreenTech machines have them,their bound to heat up a bit on short runs up and down the pit,I also put two sets of weights on mine thinking extra weight could only be a good thing,

PistenbullyGreentec400003re_zps2d15af6f.

Here is a link to Off-Piste Agri http://www.offpisteagri.co.uk/about-off-piste-agri.html

Regards

Joe.

• Like 2