Top 5 tractors of all time!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I gather the top two were at your current job? What about the others? When the 8000 series came out I always hoped for a drive in one but sadly never did nor have yet :(

We did have a 4650 here, wasn't mine when I started back in 1989 they bought me a new jd4455 then after that I had the 8100 my dad also drove a 4650 so I got to drive both of them a few times, would love to own one now, the tw was at my first job when I left school and and the other two were also tractors my dad drove so I got my hands on them too

Nice mix of tractors in any case, Phil. Nice ot have those memories too I should think. 4455, eh? What a lovely great hulk of iron B)

Your right the 44 was a great tractor , it's funny if you park one beside a 6930 the 44 looks small now, but even our 7530 can't seem to do what I did with that tractor , I used to pull six furrows and have a front mounted furrow press it would give the 7230r a run for its money ,

This is a difficult question to answer. I have many tractors that have made a lasting impression on me. There were a lot of very memorable tractors in my early days at Sussex Tractors and from my teenage years too. I have driven all of the tractors listed and these are the ones I'd like to own.

John Deere 4020. The first 100+ horsepower with powershift; that I drove briefly as a teenager.

Ford 7000. In its day a powerful and versatile tractor that sounded nice and performed well.

County 1164. Noisy and cumbersome with loads of character. Brought out the yob in me! >:D

Muir Hill 161. A real snorter of a tractor. Twin exhausts, a V8 Perkins and a 9(?) speed non synchro Eaton gearbox.

Ford 7810. The best Ford I ever drove. At its best with a plough behind it. A well balanced tractor that Ford's said there was no demand for. Ford's were asked for a six cylinder tractor about ten years before they made one. At the time we lost loads of sales of 7600's to John Deere with their 3130-3140's. The 7-6 was a great tractor, but the drivers preferred the quieter and smoother six cylinder engine.

Can I have another five favourites?.............. I s'pose not! :- So I can't mention the New Performance Super Major, the David Brown 990 Selectamatic, the Ford TW35, the Ford 8830 Powershift or the International 956............ can I? ;D

In no particular order;

• County 1454
  • Muir Hill 121 (there's a surprise :angel: )
  • Deutz Agrostar DX 6.11
  • Massey Ferguson 1250
  • Ford 8830

I could do a top 100 to be honest ;D

The 8830 looks a brute, loving the MH 121 and the county too

• 1 month later...

My best top five are: 1, John Deere 7710 so over enginered and well built, pull the house down tractor. 2,Ford 7610 2 wheel drive super q series 2. What a pocket rocket !! 3,John Deere 3650. Timeless classic. 4,John Deere 2140 2 wheel drive. Yet another timeless classic. 5, Ferguson Tef 20. Where it all started for me first tractor ever owned.