McAfee Internet Security - is it a good deal

I got an email the other day saying my McAfee Internet was due for renewal at the cost of £54.99 a year which was what I have paid in the last two years and the year before an introductory offer was £ 34.99. I then got in my Costco deals booklet fom 13th August to 2nd September and included was McAfee Internet Security 2012 PLUS McAfee Family Protection 1yr/3pcs for £ 27.99 less £ 14 = £ 13.88 ex VAT and £ 16.78 including VAT.

I asked one of our IT guys and he said he used some other provider and paid £ 49 for his home security and ve careful to read the small print on Costco's deal. Undeterred I emailed McAfee saying what I could get it in offer for and could they compete with that and was there any difference in the products supplied. They came back with a fairly long winded e-mail but the long and the short of it they dropped £ 30 to £ 24.99 for next year. For the difference between that and what Costco were offering I could not really be bothered to get it from Costco or find out if it was indeed the same cover and there was nothing hidden in the small print.

I was just wondering what others used as security and what sort of cost they pay. I can operate a computer but when it comes to problems etc I have no idea and have no interest as long as it is safe and working properly ;D ;D

Edited by BC

Well I did speak to someone else at work and they used some "freebie". I have had McAfee a while now and never any problems so to be honest I don't really grudge £ 24.99 a year I mean what do to get these days for just over £ 2 a month.

So have I spent £24.99 for nothing really that I could have had for free and and which that nearly quarter of a century pounds could have been spent on Britain's models :huh: ..if so well that makes me rather... :angry:

I have been using McAfee now for 4 years. Previous to that I used Norton but found that Norton, together with its 'utilities', 'firewall' and other stuff contained within it, such as automatically downloading add-ons such as Google Chrome, made the computer very slow and caused internet and web pages to freeze and not respond, I eventually discovered that it was Google Chrome that was the cause so uninstalled it but it was still slowing down the computer. I was also told that Norton, although updated all the time, is so old now that the hackers can get around it very easily. Going back to McAfee, I have just installed the 2012 'total protection' version with 3 licenses purchased from an eBay outlet for £19 and a few odd pence, a bargain. There are many versions of McAfee available and give you computer protection to different levels, some have more protection than others and youi must read the product details as to what's covered by the programme. Beware 'free' anti-virus software, especially those that you download from a website, these can also contain stuff that you dont want or need and can have an adverse effect on your computer and its performance. If you buy off the internet or from eBay, make sure that you're getting the disc in its box and that you're not just buying a keycode number that is emailed to you when you pay. I find that buying a genuine anti-virus protection product off the internet can save you up to 2/3rds of the shop retail prices. If anyone goes for McAfee, go for the 'total protection' up-to-date version as this will cover everything you do on your computer and is always actively working for you in the background, keeps you notified, advises you when things are suspect and is very user friendly, I would now, once getting used to it and how it operates, use nothing else.

Edited by powerrabbit

Thanks for all the responses folks...turning into a rather interesting topic reading all the responses so far..since I must admit I have relied on support from my employers on PC's etc over the past 20 odd years ;D ;D ..and well over the past few years our service desk / helpline has gone to India...and well I will say no more ....they can manage my nick name but struggle big time with my surname which well really does make me... :angry:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4606e78c97

This is what I use and recommend to friends and family - and I'm an IT consultant, if that carries any weight? :D

It allows you to protect 3x PCs, so if you only have the one you can cover friends/family too.

Besides, at that price, you can't argue!

/m.

Edited by malcy_p

Beware 'free' anti-virus software, especially those that you download from a website, these can also contain stuff that you dont want or need and can have an adverse effect on your computer and its performance.FROM POWERRABBIT, well as i said i use AVG and never had a problem,and its free!!!

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4606e78c97

This is what I use and recommend to friends and family - and I'm an IT consultant, if that carries any weight? :D

It allows you to protect 3x PCs, so if you only have the one you can cover friends/family too.

Besides, at that price, you can't argue!

/m.

So even at £ 24.99 I have paid over the odd's for laptop piece of mind :huh: .....well hey ho ...that is life...you live and you learn 8)

If you buy a programme that you trust I'm not sure you can really put a price on any anti-virus protection, better than paying a computer 'expert' £300 to get rid of a virus.

i have had mcafee for a good few years now, got 4 pc cover for 24 quid last time out, usally pays to let them ring you, never had any issues, and its what we use at work to. had friends who use free ones and a good few have been hacked and lost data , ones been cloned card wise to .not saying all free ones are bad, but you get what you pay for.

would never ever have bloody norton again, that was a very very slow system and caused no end of conflicts software wise on all the laptops/ pc

Regarding Norton, you've said it all Sean! My Brother had unidentified problems with his computer, kept shutting itself down, would not open programmes, internet would not open, pages would freeze, all sorts of issues. His PC expert came out to look it over and said that it was full of viruses and had a couple of trojans in there somewhere, I told him to uninstall the Norton and see what happened, Norton uninstalled, problem solved. The majority of new computers have a 30 day trial Norton pre-installed, if you buy a new computer, let it run for the 30 day period and then install a different anti-virus programme.

I used to have McAfee and I found that it slowed the computer down quite considerably and trying to erase from your computer is almost impossible. I changed a few years ago to the full AVG paid version and until this week I have been very happy with it. Unfortunately this week I got a trojan claiming to come from West Yorkshire Police that was asking for me to pay to have my computer unlocked. I managed to restart in safe mode and disable it but our IT at work then recommended Kaspersky as the best on the market at the moment.

Along with others I wouldn't use Norton even if they paid me to have it.

Norton and McAfee are two very nasty words to me. I use the free version of AVG and have done so for years. Never had any problems with it.

I'm not saying Norton and McAfee are crap. It's just that they come with SO MUCH sh*t which is all dumped, installed and run on your pc. Toolbaars, check thingies, clean up etc.. etc.. makes your already slow pc even slower. That is what I hate about most virus scanners. AVG is reasonably ok.

Edited by Niels
  • Like 1