Ford 7610 Super Q cabbed tractors - Model and Real Deal.

It's been a little a while since I put one of these topics together, so following on from the previous Massey Ferguson based threads i've set up....a change of colour. Time for a slice of blue and specifically the Super Q cabbed Ford 7610. I have fond memories of a good number of these tractors working locally on farms as a child, but more recently have caught up with several other tidy examples both working for contractors and farmers as well as some taking part in ploughing matches too. 

Given my addiction for collecting subtle variations of specific models of classic tractor in miniature was my main reason keeping this particular topic aimed exclusively at the later generations of 7610.

Here's the models I currently have residing in my collection.

MarGe Models 2wd Gen II

P1260698_zpsedaf6c7c.jpg

MarGe Models 4wd Gen II

P1140838_zps768a2f13.jpg

DBP Models 4wd Gen II

P1160163_zpse60f5072.jpg

Martyn Reeve 2wd Gen III

P1110504_zpsc09dd6f8.jpg

P1260704_zps0f1802da.jpg 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moving onto the real machines i've photographed. Starting with the 2wd examples.

Preserved example, seen at the excellent Newby Hall vintage rally.

P1190184_zps8bcdaca6.jpg

Classic Tractor contributor Paul Stevenson's very tidy machine.

P1210331-Copy_zps4d7f41cd.jpg

A large dairy farm I used to live close still use this one as their scraper tractor.

P1110238_zps0e157ee1.jpg

Another version in preservation I captured in action at a local working day last year.

P1240952_zps388be7a4.jpg

P1240962_zps316d2fe2.jpg

The 4wd machines i've captured starting with an absolutely pristine example I discovered yoked to a living van at the National Ploughing Championships in 2010.

DSC09957_zps901f7621.jpg

Followed another pair of tractors being used in the competition itself.

DSC09398_zps5310d0b9.jpg

DSC00169_zpsaa015f43.jpg

Brothers Morris and Howard Pearson used this example as their front line tractor until very recently when it gave way to a more modern blue roofed 7740.

DSC07481_zps44ad8771.jpg

Bought originally as a "hobby" tractor by contractor Richard Dowson having been tidied up and rebuilt now performs an active role in his fleet as the company's third raking tractor.

P1190771_zps2d5901c9.jpg

Whilst I discovered this one at York Machinery Sale back in 2004.

IMGfordq_0007_zpsd843c697.jpg

Loving that 7610 on the Jag with Easterby in tow David........ That could be one mean set up in 1/16th...... but for now i'd best keep dreaming unless UH pull a 10 series out of the hat :laugh:  :laugh:

Proper "old school" set up isn't it Paul, definitely one of my favourites. It's been on the same farm since new, who, with the exception of a loader equipped John Deere 2250 have always ran Fords. The 7610 is still in use on the farm but in a secondary role now to a blue roofed 7740 which in turn replaced a 2wd AP cabbed Ford 7610 which had been ran into the ground. They also have a Ford 6600 which is the still the farm's main spraying tractor. :)

I'd absolutely love to see that whole set up in model form whether it be 1/32nd scale or 1/16th scale. Certainly would look brilliant in 1/6th scale. :) 

another nice topic david,6610 my uncle had which replaced a ford 4000 and i drove a 7810 with a post knocker, so a slight connection,keep the topics coming David,its the nearest i can get to a 7610

Thanks Paul, appreciated. I nearly thought about doing the complete range but decided that there was scope with the models out there and the photographs of the real ones I have taken to focus on one particular model number. Great to hear you're enjoying these topics and also your own memories of ten series tractors. I've a few more ideas for these types of topic and i'll definitely be doing one on the 7810. :)

Great topic & great tractor. Fords pocket rocket from the 80's. I remember back in my childhood days a local contractor having a Gen 1 7610  4wd AP Cab  on a Tarrup double chop which was regarded as one of the biggest tractors in the area at a time when tractors ranging from a 4000 to a 6600 were avarege size machines. Our  silage contractor had a 7700 & I wondered which machine ,7610 or 7700 packed the most power!!! I tought the 7700 ,but when I was smart enough to read up on brouchers of both in regards HP ,i soon realised i was wrong.  The  7610 packed 6 HP more at 103 vs the 7700's 97HP. 

Nice thread you got going these little tractors are full of character great pictures thanks for sharing

Thanks ever so much Phillip. I absolutely love tractors from this era, largely thanks to the childhood memories I have of them but also because they look the business. These are also my own personal reasons for focusing on collecting model tractors mainly from this era too. Character, absolutely spot on, these tractors have it in abundance. Thanks again for your kind comments. :)

Great topic & great tractor. Fords pocket rocket from the 80's. I remember back in my childhood days a local contractor having a Gen 1 7610  4wd AP Cab  on a Tarrup double chop which was regarded as one of the biggest tractors in the area at a time when tractors ranging from a 4000 to a 6600 were avarege size machines. Our  silage contractor had a 7700 & I wondered which machine ,7610 or 7700 packed the most power!!! I tought the 7700 ,but when I was smart enough to read up on brouchers of both in regards HP ,i soon realised i was wrong.  The  7610 packed 6 HP more at 103 vs the 7700's 97HP. 

Thanks ever so much Justin. I really enjoy setting up topics like this and i've plans to do a few more based around other older tractors and series of tractors too. Great to hear some of your own personal memories too. My Uncle used to run a Gen I AP cabbed 4wd 7610 equipped with a Tanco loader as his main tractor in the early to mid nineties. I'd absolutely love someone to make me a model of one. He ended up replacing it with a second hand 7810 Jubilee. As for the 7700 i've found the whereabouts of an immaculate barn stored example that has been living practically under my nose........until I moved. All being well when I return to North Yorkshire on one of my photographic excursions i'm hoping photograph this tractor. :) 

Well as owner of a 2wd 7610 SQ II this is easily my favourite topic on ftf in a while.Our 7610 is pretty much identical to the one you pictured disc harrowing although ours is not as tidy as that example.The 7610 in my opinion was one of Fords best ever tractors necause of its small size but big power.It also really punched above its weight as ours performed just about every job imaginable like mowing with a John Dere 1360,ploughing with a 4 furrow Fiskars,Drawing Silage with a 16Ft Murphy Silage Trailer,Spreading Slurry with an 2000 gallon tanker and believe me alot of other jobs.After 25 years of hard work I have decided that I'm going to restore her hopefully I'll be able to bring her back to her former glory and may even set her to work.The one thing about the 7610 that facinates me is that if you told some one that you pulled a 10 Ft mower or a 4 Furrow plough with a 100hp 2wd tractor that was built within the last 10 years they would think you were crazy.The only time I ever saw the 7610 struggle was with my uncles 2000 gallon tank on a hilly field and the 7610 is 2wd.When the 7610 spent her days on the JD 1360 mower she used to be mowing with a 8210 on the same mower (Well it was a Kuhn FC300 but there the same thing),my uncle used to be driving and my uncle tells me that he spent most of the time up th 8210s backside blowing the horn and that was in the field you dont want to know what he did on the road with the 7610 being 40k and the 8210 only being 30k.

Well as owner of a 2wd 7610 SQ II this is easily my favourite topic on ftf in a while.Our 7610 is pretty much identical to the one you pictured disc harrowing although ours is not as tidy as that example.The 7610 in my opinion was one of Fords best ever tractors necause of its small size but big power.It also really punched above its weight as ours performed just about every job imaginable like mowing with a John Dere 1360,ploughing with a 4 furrow Fiskars,Drawing Silage with a 16Ft Murphy Silage Trailer,Spreading Slurry with an 2000 gallon tanker and believe me alot of other jobs.After 25 years of hard work I have decided that I'm going to restore her hopefully I'll be able to bring her back to her former glory and may even set her to work.The one thing about the 7610 that facinates me is that if you told some one that you pulled a 10 Ft mower or a 4 Furrow plough with a 100hp 2wd tractor that was built within the last 10 years they would think you were crazy.The only time I ever saw the 7610 struggle was with my uncles 2000 gallon tank on a hilly field and the 7610 is 2wd.When the 7610 spent her days on the JD 1360 mower she used to be mowing with a 8210 on the same mower (Well it was a Kuhn FC300 but there the same thing),my uncle used to be driving and my uncle tells me that he spent most of the time up th 8210s backside blowing the horn and that was in the field you dont want to know what he did on the road with the 7610 being 40k and the 8210 only being 30k.

Thank you ever so much John, really appreciate your kind comments and thank you for sharing your experiences of your own tractor. Great to read through and I hope you have the opportunity to restore her to her former glory. :)

Proper "old school" set up isn't it Paul, definitely one of my favourites. It's been on the same farm since new, who, with the exception of a loader equipped John Deere 2250 have always ran Fords. The 7610 is still in use on the farm but in a secondary role now to a blue roofed 7740 which in turn replaced a 2wd AP cabbed Ford 7610 which had been ran into the ground. They also have a Ford 6600 which is the still the farm's main spraying tractor. :)

I'd absolutely love to see that whole set up in model form whether it be 1/32nd scale or 1/16th scale. Certainly would look brilliant in 1/6th scale. :)

Well...... if you give me a bit of time to trawl through my 1/32nd stuff David i've a good feeling i could re-create that silage scene ;) I've the Marge 7610 and a jag 51 chopper.... and i think i could have a trailer that resembles that easterby.................

Another fine Topic, David. I'll see if I have any 7610 collection photos to add. I'm a big fan of the Marge line-up so far with the exception being the 4wd versions. Looking at the real deal coupled to the living van and comparing it Dave Perdues 1/32 replica it looks like a DBP Ford 7610 4wd is the only option, what an impressive model that is!

Well...... if you give me a bit of time to trawl through my 1/32nd stuff David i've a good feeling i could re-create that silage scene ;) I've the Marge 7610 and a jag 51 chopper.... and i think i could have a trailer that resembles that easterby.................

That would be fantastic Paul. Seeing an older Easterby trailer made in 1/32nd scale would be brilliant in itself, but, to see the entire outfit in model form and part of one of your layouts would make for a wonderful sight. :)

Another fine Topic, David. I'll see if I have any 7610 collection photos to add. I'm a big fan of the Marge line-up so far with the exception being the 4wd versions. Looking at the real deal coupled to the living van and comparing it Dave Perdues 1/32 replica it looks like a DBP Ford 7610 4wd is the only option, what an impressive model that is!

Thanks ever so much Tris. I really enjoy putting these topics together and definitely have plans for a few more in the future. Whilst i'm a fan of the MarGe examples I just can't seem to warm to them in the same way I have with my DBP and Martyn Reeve 7610 variations residing in my collection. The DBP example is a little gem of a model and I was very greatful to a fellow enthusiastic collector for offering me this version. I think it looks an absolute treat lined up with the others. As for the real machine yoked to the living van , what a beauty. It was in completely original condition, or so I was told, having had very little use. :)    

Looking forward to any further contributions to this thread from yourself and any other forum members. Whether they be memories, or photographs of the real deal and models. :)

i used to drive a q cab 7610 on a y plate with a rubic's box in her,took a bit too get used too but she was a honey why i did !!!! 

I remember having an evening on a good friend's 6610 equipped with the same box....good tractor, just the operator that needed some refining. ;D

Archived