North East Model Farm & Construction Show 5th May Aberdeen

Big A

Did you attend Andrew ,...I never saw you...if you did any photos :huh:

Yep I was there. thought I saw you speeding back in to the hall just as we were leaving around about 12ish.

I have quite a few photos which Ill have to get organised.... Just have my fingers in too many pies at the moment with a few starting to burn :

Will also have to add wash/polish tractor (and no not a model...) to the list soon :-

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"fit yer needing ma loon is a book o Doric sayings fir fin yer next up tae eberdeen, a Scottish phrase book will be nae eese tae ye up here fan yer trying tae spik tae country fouk intae the toon fir a day oot. The Doric's the mither tonge up in this neck o the wids, so yid better hud Chappin an sort ursel oot wi a book on the Doric. This wee corner o scotland his it's ain lingo a the gither"

See how you get on trying to figure out the above Paul, just having a wee laugh at the expense of all you southerners. I will leave it to bc to translate if you're struggling.

Moral of the story is. Don't bring the Scots translator purchased south of the border with you as once your past Dundee you'll need to translate again to the Doric and/or variations of... Buchan, East Coast, Inland all have subtle differences....

Experience to testify this. Friend of mine is from the Broch Fraserburgh area (30 miles north of Aberdeen). she went down to Dundee and called someones young boy "a bonnie little lounie" (spelling). She was pretty close to getting a mouthful until someone explained it.

for the curious...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doric_dialect_%28Scotland%29

Looks like a grand show, Andy and Brian and the figures certainly stacked up going by the footfall. Growing year on year in size and stature and a nice buzz coming through a couple of topics too. Good on ya fellas.

We have worked out the amounts going to charity now and will hand them over in the next few days, when one of us can get a minute to actually deliver them!!

This year we are pleased to donate £800 each to CLAN and BIG charity groups. :)

We have worked out the amounts going to charity now and will hand them over in the next few days, when one of us can get a minute to actually deliver them!!

This year we are pleased to donate £800 each to CLAN and BIG charity groups. :)

Excellent stuff! Well done to you all.

"fit yer needing ma loon is a book o Doric sayings fir fin yer next up tae eberdeen, a Scottish phrase book will be nae eese tae ye up here fan yer trying tae spik tae country fouk intae the toon fir a day oot. The Doric's the mither tonge up in this neck o the wids, so yid better hud Chappin an sort ursel oot wi a book on the Doric. This wee corner o scotland his it's ain lingo a the gither"

See how you get on trying to figure out the above Paul, just having a wee laugh at the expense of all you southerners. I will leave it to bc to translate if you're struggling.

I ken fit ye meen Dode but will Paul ;D  ;D

Yep I was there. thought I saw you speeding back in to the hall just as we were leaving around about 12ish.

I have quite a few photos which Ill have to get organised.... Just have my fingers in too many pies at the moment with a few starting to burn :

Will also have to add wash/polish tractor (and no not a model...) to the list soon :-

I look forward to see your photos Andrew....now hurry on its only 51 weeks and a bit to next years show ;D  ;D

I'll see how I get on Toyboy and Bill might have to fill in the gaps.........

"what your needing my boy is a book of  Dialect sayings for when your next up to Aberdeen, a Scottish phrase book will be of no use to you up here when your trying to speak to country folk in the town for a day out. The Dialect is the mother tongue up in this neck of the woods, so you'd better go shopping an sort yourself out with a book on the dialect. This little corner of Scotland has its own language altogether.

I don't mind you having a laugh, we'd confuse you too if you came down here ;)  :laugh:

I think  the posts above have said everything that can be said about the show, all I can say is it was brilliant as usual. I would loved to have been there for the whole day, but only made it for a few hours , and boy did they fly in. Thanks to Brian (Mr Softie) for giving me the heads up that there was only one show model left when I bumped into him just inside the door, delighted I got one ;)  I got a few othere models to add to the collection, and I think I may start saving for next years show, as I could have got alot more !! Some really amazing dioramas, and as already mentioned the detail in some of them was amazing! Something to aspire to I guess. I was lucky I got home from work for the show, I was beginning to worry I wasnt going to make it,so I think I will be booking holidays next year to make sure I'm home! Brilliant to bump into some of you guys from the last time I made it to it and nice to meet some new people too, will hopefully make it to Blacpool sometime Shaun ;) Anyway to wrap up my bladdering, well done to you guys (Bill Andy, Brian etc) it was a show to be proud of as always, and I cant wait for next year!!

I haven't heard any bad reports about the show Ronan all positive comments which is good and the icing on the cake (in addition to Lynn's lovely Ford cake) was Andy and Brian have been able to donate £ 1,600 to the shows 2 nominated charities. A total of £ 3,100 has been donated to local Aberdeen charities since the first show in 2011 at the smaller venu at the Marriott  Hotel in Dyce....an average of over £ 1,000 a year aint bad in my opinion.

Now i must go away and send follow up reports to the local rags which promoted the show since I see it as equally important doing follow up reports and a thank you to the editors for using the articles on the build up to the show.

Today I had to drop my mum off at the Post Office in Kemnay so whilst waiting for her I took the opportunity to go to the card shop Sidelines and the butchers Clarence Lingard and thank them both for displaying show posters. It was such a delight to hear how pleased they were about the success of the show and the fact that £ 1,600 went to local Aberdeen charities. Anyway I can go back to them again next year for advertising but if the truth be known I really wanted to treat myself to one of Lingards steak and kidney pies for my tea ;D  ;D  Talking of butchers I need to visit John Dossett the butcher at Kintore to thank him also  and well he does a mean steak and kidney pie as well but with puff pastryl 8)

they will go well in germany thats for sure, having watched the german collectors  going round zwolle, with the list of every siku model made, hunting them down ,belive me they will pay what ever it takes to get it, the bronze model farmer ones now go for 300 odd euros there,was one at last years for that, and it sold as did the hawk hire mcmoricks from spalding, we cleared 10 add boxs approx 60 in total) worth of them in pretty much one day, could have sold even more if andy had them

Archived