Norev - Claas Dominator 96 & Dominator 108 Comparison and Review

Since the long awaited 1/32 scale Claas Dominator 96 combine harvester from Norev has arrived at dealerships and stores I thought it might be nice to do a little review and also compare it with Norev's previous and first Dominator model; the Dominator 108sl Maxi. Both models are limited editions of 3000 pieces. They come in a Claas coloured dealer box. I bought my Dominator 96 model from the Claas shop website for € 70,00 ex. postage costs. (About £60,00)

The Dominator 96 was first launched in 1978 and has 5 straw walkers. Under the bonnet is a 150, and later 170, HP Mercedes 6 cyl turbocharged engine. Header widths of 390, 450 or 500 cm (13, 15 or 17 feet) were available.

IMG_4566_2_zps43365f30.jpg
First impression (7,5) As discussed on the Norev 2013 topic this model initially looked very plasticy. Luckily this is not the case when you unpack the model from it's large box that also contains the header and a header trailer. The model suffers, like many others, from a grain tank lid that won't raise and a fixed rear axle. It seems to be well detailed otherwise and the colours are, compared to the 108, slighly darker green which matches the real life paint scheme at the time. The front wheels look a bit small but are probably correct. The rear ones are fine although some real machines were also fitted with cheaper and smaller ribbed tyres.

IMG_4568_2_zps92a4792a.jpg
Unpacking (8 ) The Styrofoam easily comes out of the box. Cut the wires underneath and the whole machine comes loose and is easily unpacked. It is a little smaller and a tiny bit lower than the 108.

IMG_4572_2_zps4693a5a9.jpg
Quality and finish (8 ) As expect from Norev the quality and finish can be described as good to say the least. On my model the rear tow bar for the header trailer had come loose but this is easily fixed. If you compare it with the 108sl you would say it has less detail to it. For example; the vanes from the radiator screen is less details, the lights are less realistic and also the rear straw rack's on the chopper are not painted silver. Both are cast in the spreader hood though and both the spreaders can be swivelled in and out of work. The top is mainly made of metal and the side panels plus most parts are plastic. The header is 100% plastic and feels very breakable.

IMG_4580_2_zpsdce02829.jpg
Detail of Realism (8 ) All the major parts are there. Even the V-belt for the grain tank auger can be found at the back. The stairs raise and lower, like on the 108, and the feeder house is well detailed and can raise and lower. It's cylinders are fairly loose though. As described before I feel the Dominator 108 is just slightly better. Especially when it comes to the fine details. However, all the bits are there and you certainly will not be disappointed. There is nothing else available on the market in this bracket, unless it's scratch build, and it will offer a lovely collectors model for decent money.

IMG_4592_2_zpse6a939a3.jpg
Conclusion: A photo of the combine in transport position. The dividers cannot be taken off, which is fair enough I guess, but does not look good. You can however easily remove them if you like for displaying the combine on a diorama if you like. Another option, which I quite fancy myself, is mounting one of PMA 32's excellent Matrot side knifes for cutting oil seed rape. If you add all the numbers I come to a 7,8 which feels justified. It gets a big thumbs up when it comes to value for money and build quality. Thumbs down for the fixed and ugly rear axle and the grain tank lid which won't raise.

IMG_4598_2_zps9248239b.jpg

Some measuring I've done roughly. The length is about 25 centimetres. This would be 800 cm in real life. Claas quote 1050 cm in the brochure so it seems there is something wrong. It does not seem to be out of scale though.

IMG_4600_2_zps223d5ada.jpg

Width of the model is 10 centimetres which would be 320 cm in real life. Claas say 300 cm in the brochure but i'm guessing that is on skinny tyres. Again, the model doesn't appear to be far off.

IMG_4596_2_zps303ab3bd.jpg

Cutting width of the header is exactly 12 centimetres as well or 384 cm in 1/1 scale. This closely matches up to Claas' 390 (13 ft.) header option. A 15 feet would have probably been more realistic but more expensive to make I guess.

IMG_4591_2_zps75801b0d.jpg

Just in case you're wondering... the C510 header from the 108sl does fit! Maybe if you've got some light crops to cut it will take it. In fact the drive shaft on the 96 is more realistic than the 108's PTO shaft which is situated on the model but not linked up to the feeder house.

That was my little review and comparison. Any questions or comments? Feel free to say so!

Good review Niels, lots of good photos.

I think its a really nice model of a late 70's/early 80's high end combine, will look good with Repliagri IH 1460.

Re: scales - 1050cm length will be with the header - without the header it was given as 769cm. As with the Dominator 108, Norev seem to be pretty accurate when it comes to dimensions.

My only minor gripes with the model - would have been a better match with 15ft header, and i think the front tyres look a little "toy" like, with a flat looking tread (maybe its been working on flint type ground... ;))

All in all, very nice addition to the growing range of classic class combines, bring on the Senator!!.   

Good review Niels, despite a few people saying a 15ft header woud suit it more, I have seen a few dommys with 13ft headers, our old one included. I think it may have been an area trend.

great review niels, thanks for taking the time to post it up. as i have said in the norev 2013 thread, i am really happy with my one. we had one of these machines on the farm for a good few years until it went in for a mega 202. i might be wrong, but was the beacon on the cab on some of the real machines? ours only had one beacon, and it was on the top of the rear hood, above the chopper. another small thing that could of been added would have been the water carrier that sat on the platform on the right hand side of the cab to cool the cab cooling fan [ it never did work very well ]. also up in the cab, there is no machanical gear stick up on the right hand side. overall though, as you have said, a great model for the money. BRING ON THE SENATOR!

Good review Niels, despite a few people saying a 15ft header woud suit it more, I have seen a few dommys with 13ft headers, our old one included. I think it may have been an area trend.

Very true of course. It's all down to field size and farm size.

Archived