orchard farm and contractors !

Well niels we should b able to cope with what we have got in pits , especially now all the cows are out grazing by day , so that's slowed down feed consumpition considerably  , we do have the option of getting in more from neighbouring farms should we need it ! The aim was to have the AD plant up and running around this sort of time , that's why we put plans in place last year when it was all in the pipeline , pays to think ahead !!

I see, thanks for clearing it up Julian! Have you already planted hybrid rye to cut as wholecrop for this year or will that be something for 2016? The cold start this spring must cause AD plant owners a headache. Crops will produce biomass more slowly so will need to be left longer (or cut with less yield) and maize will go in the ground at a later date, which could be difficult come harvest time.

Will the Orchard fleet be changed regarding the AD plant or can all excising machinery cope with the extra work load? It must be annoying for you that British farmers can't run large three axle silage trailers because of road legislation and have to cope with 16t grain trailers on silage boards? At least that is what I see coming past!

I see, thanks for clearing it up Julian! Have you already planted hybrid rye to cut as wholecrop for this year or will that be something for 2016? The cold start this spring must cause AD plant owners a headache. Crops will produce biomass more slowly so will need to be left longer (or cut with less yield) and maize will go in the ground at a later date, which could be difficult come harvest time.

Will the Orchard fleet be changed regarding the AD plant or can all excising machinery cope with the extra work load? It must be annoying for you that British farmers can't run large three axle silage trailers because of road legislation and have to cope with 16t grain trailers on silage boards? At least that is what I see coming past!

Niels,Stewart trailers of Inverurie do a three axle 20 tonne trailer with silage sides,http://www.stewart-trailers.co.uk/products/tipping-trailers/311 but I don't  know the legal side of that,maybe in the pdf,??

Regards

Joe.

Well niels we are looking into more machinery to add to the fleet , just because of the sheer work load which will be placed on the fleet , Myself and Alex have researched some machines which we think will make an improvement , 1 of which is the purchase of 2 new fliegl ejector trailers , we are looking into other machines to fit in with Alexs CTF system , trouble is a lot of the roads around us cant really cope with over sized machines , so more research will be ongoing !As to the grass it is predominately rye grass which is sown , as the older grasses will come up after 1st cut of silage and then will be replaced with a maize crop mainly for the Ad plant , I hope this helps niels . , At least with the new legislation in place from the 1st of march we can run within the law comfortably I hope !!!!!

Well niels we are looking into more machinery to add to the fleet , just because of the sheer work load which will be placed on the fleet , Myself and Alex have researched some machines which we think will make an improvement , 1 of which is the purchase of 2 new fliegl ejector trailers , we are looking into other machines to fit in with Alexs CTF system , trouble is a lot of the roads around us cant really cope with over sized machines , so more research will be ongoing !As to the grass it is predominately rye grass which is sown , as the older grasses will come up after 1st cut of silage and then will be replaced with a maize crop mainly for the Ad plant , I hope this helps niels . , At least with the new legislation in place from the 1st of march we can run within the law comfortably I hope !!!!!

Thank you Julian, those Fliegl trailers are certainly very nice. What do you think of loading the crop in lorry's? It seems to be done more often these days with modified Maus' or high tipping trailers. Would help your road transport issues maybe. I know East Anglian roads and yours must be similar if not worse.

Watched a farming DVD last night with some shots of a Danish dairy farm that are fully CTF (not for maize I reckon). Their width is 16m. Mowing, raking, forage wagon, slurry injecting all done on 16m tracks. Machinery is modified to fit that width. Very impressive!

• Like 3

Thank you Julian, those Fliegl trailers are certainly very nice. What do you think of loading the crop in lorry's? It seems to be done more often these days with modified Maus' or high tipping trailers. Would help your road transport issues maybe. I know East Anglian roads and yours must be similar if not worse.

Watched a farming DVD last night with some shots of a Danish dairy farm that are fully CTF (not for maize I reckon). Their width is 16m. Mowing, raking, forage wagon, slurry injecting all done on 16m tracks. Machinery is modified to fit that width. Very impressive!

Thats our plan Niels! We have a Maus ready to convert and the big Fliegls will stay in field and the Maus will load into a combination of lorries and tractors and trailers keeping mud off the road, staying legal weight wise and cutting field compaction as much as poss.

We have both done some research of CTF forage systems and the grass side of things would work a treat with our 12 meters but maize and wholecrop are looking not possible, open to any ideas and suggestions however

• Like 1

What a dreadful last 24 hours weather wise , wind been a knightmare but at least the rain hasn't turned up which was forecast so ground been drying out really quick .We been out on the spud ground had a little play with the bed former just to see what the ground comes up like , The lads setting off for more umbilical work ,spreading on stubbles ready for maize , Taken the chance to get the spud planter in the workshop for a look over and the box lifter , the latter needing a grease up and 1 new oil pipe . All being well we can get some spuds moving after the easter weekend now !

post-4042-0-11544200-1427831506_thumb.jp

post-4042-0-15986000-1427831558_thumb.jp

post-4042-0-75243200-1427831603_thumb.jp

post-4042-0-18684000-1427831655_thumb.jp

Thats our plan Niels! We have a Maus ready to convert and the big Fliegls will stay in field and the Maus will load into a combination of lorries and tractors and trailers keeping mud off the road, staying legal weight wise and cutting field compaction as much as poss.

We have both done some research of CTF forage systems and the grass side of things would work a treat with our 12 meters but maize and wholecrop are looking not possible, open to any ideas and suggestions however

I see, much like Flawborough then :-). You will carry out the conversion yourself and not buy a Palandt converted Nawaro bunkermaus then? I think it is a very good idea but to complicated and to expensive to run. An elevator (much like a beet cleaner) the width of the trailer (slightly wider) would be sufficient.

Like I said before in your own topic I can see possibilities for maize and wholecrop at 12m. Drill with your Horsch and put a 16 row drill on the back. Krone 16 row header. I don't know if the spout of the forager is long enough to reach 12m and if you could lengthen it? You could mount a hatch on top of the Fliegl and blow in the crop from the side like the Americans do. Can reach 12m like that? Mowing rye could best be done with a Krone Big M 500 as it cuts 15m max. Has a grouper put it on one swath Krone picks it up. Highest capacity that way. Video of the CTF 16m mower I saw:

Ol: Your right that is just a plain ridger from Grimme 4x 75cm rows: http://www.grimme.com/de/products/bodenbearbeitung/gh. It certainly isn't a bed former, can't reach that depth.

I see, much like Flawborough then :-). You will carry out the conversion yourself and not buy a Palandt converted Nawaro bunkermaus then? I think it is a very good idea but to complicated and to expensive to run. An elevator (much like a beet cleaner) the width of the trailer (slightly wider) would be sufficient.

Like I said before in your own topic I can see possibilities for maize and wholecrop at 12m. Drill with your Horsch and put a 16 row drill on the back. Krone 16 row header. I don't know if the spout of the forager is long enough to reach 12m and if you could lengthen it? You could mount a hatch on top of the Fliegl and blow in the crop from the side like the Americans do. Can reach 12m like that? Mowing rye could best be done with a Krone Big M 500 as it cuts 15m max. Has a grouper put it on one swath Krone picks it up. Highest capacity that way. Video of the CTF 16m mower I saw:

Ol: Your right that is just a plain ridger from Grimme 4x 75cm rows: http://www.grimme.com/de/products/bodenbearbeitung/gh. It certainly isn't a bed former, can't reach that depth.

My questions are Niels do any model makers do a bunker maus? Also is 16 rows of maize at what spacings equal 12m? Id like to also find out if i could block every other coulter on my sprinter would drill maize? Iv tried looking on Krone UK and can only find a 12 row header which is 10 meters, i know kemper did a whooping 20 row!

Not sure if this is of any interest Alex,but it is on Horschs Facebook page,https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stroco-Agro-Horsch-in-Denmark/104426139623964?pnref=story

Horsch%205_zps0zprk1rc.jpg

this is a very bad translation,??Bejstrup's Maestro 24.75 SW is ready for duty in North Jutland mulch. Maestro'en with a 18-foot wingspan is in "UK Edition" Edition with sporløsnere, big bags crane and drag to the cart with seed and fertilizer

Regards

Joe.

Edited by catkom3
  • Like 1

Is maize at 12m literally that or is it CTF, as every video I've seen of UK maize is tractors ripping themselves, their trailers and the ground apart just trying to get across the ground making the idea of CTF to run on the same lines in the field pointless? Or am I missing some vital info? 

Not sure if this is of any interest Alex,but it is on Horschs Facebook page,https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stroco-Agro-Horsch-in-Denmark/104426139623964?pnref=story

Horsch%205_zps0zprk1rc.jpg

this is a very bad translation,??Bejstrup's Maestro 24.75 SW is ready for duty in North Jutland mulch. Maestro'en with a 18-foot wingspan is in "UK Edition" Edition with sporløsnere, big bags crane and drag to the cart with seed and fertilizer

Regards

Joe.

Thats what we want!!! No way is that only 18 foot, more like 18 meters i would of thought, cheaper option would be to block coulters on the drill, i know Dillington block every other coulter and drill maize with there Vaderstad Rapid and have done for years!

The idea is all good in principal boys , but again it comes down to the shear size of the machines , and with what I quoted earlier there is no way we would get some of that kit in to where we need to get to , some cases its a job to get a 4 rota rake around ! Looks pretty darn impressive though !!

• Like 1

Is maize at 12m literally that or is it CTF, as every video I've seen of UK maize is tractors ripping themselves, their trailers and the ground apart just trying to get across the ground making the idea of CTF to run on the same lines in the field pointless? Or am I missing some vital info?

Well James, as you said tractors, trailers, ripping up the ground, not doing the soil profile or structure any good what so ever, compacting it too hell, the following crop will inevitably suffer, so why grow maize using CTF? Well our combined reasons are: Julian is looking to cut compaction as i am, 800 acres of Julians crops for his AD is going to be grown on Oakley land (increasing to 1800 next year) where we are already on an arable 12m CTF, at the moment this land is being kept separate to the land on CTF so not to undo any work CTF is doing with tractors and trailers all over the field compacting 95% field area, what we are really looking to do is to cut this to just 25% by keeping to 12m lines, it would mean we could travel in conditions when others couldn't as the ground firms up under lines, efficiency dramatically increased with the wide working widths, but more importantly from my point of view at Oakley is this land would not have to be kept separate and could be included into the arable rotation, widening it like this with the introduction of maize, hybrid rye, fodder beet and most importantly grass would do the land wonders and decrease disease risks and resistance located with constant arable cropping, something i am really keen to improve. Hope this justifies our reasons :)
  • Like 2

Horsch Maestor 24.75 SW specs etc https://www.horsch2.com/en/products/seeding-technology/single-grain-seed-drills/maestro-sw/ and,a wee video,

Regards

Joe.

Im in love Joe, that would fit in perfect, and we could get that around not too bad because of the low transport height, what you reckon Ju? Edited by Oakley Farms
  • Like 1