The weather

chris.watson

If anyone can see where the sun has left its hat, please get it to put it back on. 40mm here in Essex since Saturday. Really feel for you guys further north that have a later harvest. We have finished, but then we have 18 foot header on 450 acres. Contractor next door that farms 7000 acres has 2400 still to cut, and to make it worse, he runs a Claas and a case, both 35 foot headers, and on the second last dry day we had, the case went up in flames.

We have had similar if not more rainfall to chris, usally at night , sometimes so hard its woken me up. Can honestly say i have never seen it rain that hard before, we have a bucket out the back, just because i cant be bothered to put it away, and its been emptied once this week already, todays the first sun i have seen in close to a week,

We had nearly 3 inches of rain on just saturday night and sunday night. Not seen a combine move for 2 weeks! Bit of whole crop being lifted and a lot of soil being dragged on to the roads. Maize crops all poor and looking like late october for cutting ( depending on frost). Did manage to help bale some first cut hay 10 days ago, 7 weeks later than last year! So dont visit Dumfries if you are looking for the sun. The other month when the hottest day on record was recorded in the south east of England we had rain and it got upto 13 degrees here.

• 2 weeks later...

99% of the harvest has been done in my area, we've had a very good summer, not too much rain to stop anything really, August was recorded locally as one of the wettest in recent years but this was pretty isolated thundery rain and not everyone had a soaking, we certainly didn't. It did rain last night, 12mm recorded on my rain gauge but now at this time it's broken cloud and warm sun.

There was a lot more still stood than i expected out the north of exeter way tim, and a good few arroundthe south hams, kind of weird as inbetween them theres also a good few that have been planted already to. Fleet estates outside plymouth have a fair bit to do, saw their jd s695i parked in a very black looking wheat crop this week

Seems like the lower ground has been getting the most rain Sean, up on the higher ground it's been missing us, I spent Wednesday and Thursday turning my garden and the soil is bone dry, we get the breeze and wind up on the hills as well which dries everything out, farmer two miles out the road from me combined a field of oats last Monday and baled the straw Thursday.

• 1 month later...

Started raining here in the early hours of the morning now at appox 9-30am it slowing up looks like it may stop not looked at rain gauge yet but tramlines in fields lay full and other little lakes have appeared on some headlands .Now of out to get wet for 2 time this morning   

Archived