Volvo FH16 'The Lion'

Been pottering on with this for a couple of months now, started of as a remote control 4 wheeler with no windows and odd sized wheels

IMG_20151202_142913.thumb.jpg.2224ed8185

I've cut the windows out, ditched the old chassis, built an interior which I'm going to re do as not happy with it, laser cut a chassis, part built the mudguards and slaped some paint and decals on.

102_2555.thumb.JPG.efbefa0f98ae7870eaed5

102_2556.thumb.JPG.732a931475b0691791ffe

102_2557.thumb.JPG.427d6527ffb37549cc67a

102_2558.thumb.JPG.08bfff39b40e451002c56

Still to do is

• Windscreen
  • Chassis- finish and paint
  • Various tanks
  • Finishing details

Very pleased with how this has gone so far, thanks for looking, comments welcome

12 minutes ago, MadMark said:

When are we going to see a D series Ford James or even a Foden;);D;D

D series... never muuuuu ha haaa

Foden, maybe quite soon, forestry commission ran a few that I'd like in the collection, I have built a foden winch tractor before come to think of it.

Next up is a batch of Scania 143 Streamlines, then I'm looking at resin casting some Ergomatic cabs for Leylands, AEC's etc.

looking good james some serious work to get it that far by the looks have not got a clue about your laser cutting but looks like you make some different bits for your models,like the lion roaring

Fairly major surgery there James but looking all the better for it :) Has to be said that I like the way your making full use of all model building tools available, and its good to see laser cutting being used along side basics like a craft knife and steel rule, do you have any plans to get into 3D printing as well?

Thanks very much Paul, with regards to 3D printing, not at the moment no. Largely just the price that puts me off, I think it needs few more years for the price to drop that bit more and the production speed to possible go up before my interest is really peaked. Maybe if I was a couple of years younger and still at school where they'd just got a 3D printer when I left I'd be doing abit of printing.

• 1 month later...

nice work James,I saw those lorrys on ebay and thought it could be made into a push a long model although a bit pricey,I didn't mind the small standard wheels as I've seen those on a lot of European lorrys,gives you a lower loading and ride height is the purpose isn't it?

Thanks Jamie, I'd seen them in ebay too,listed as UH a while back and at about £75 also thoight they were too dear. This one came from Belgium for about £50 thanks to Joe, catkom, for the website link, which was a more reasonable price. The standard wheels it comes with are larger than the ones I've put on and very skinny which was the problem as it meant like the newray and welly ones they were out of scale. Think you're right with why the foreign vehicles have them on though

I haven't seen the Volvo one, but have seen the new look merc ones, they were selling them in my local shop for about 50 , with a basic dump trailer, body was fine, but the chassi and tip system needed work on the trailer , Lorry would need the Windows and internals as your doing 

I did see the new merc online looks good too,thinking a nice scratchbuilt bulk trailer to go with either if I can find one reasonably priced and would be a bit different  over the newray  and welly units which have fixed front axles.

I was begining to think you were lying about a brand new shape one Sean until this cropped up on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/JeGo-powered-by-Siku-Control-Norddeutschland-313652695488822/photos_stream, I'd almost say it was scratchbuilt but pretty sure its from an RC base model, looks to lack the detail of the Volvo or even the older Merc that Mark and Joe have posted. Still never seen one for sale mind. There was some of the older ones available at the Great Dorset Steam Fair for £35, probably should have got one in hindsight.

12670782_455142338006523_6236811015951597807_n.jpg

12809622_455142354673188_6522192030188555084_n.jpg

Same guys are making a rather nice job of a volvo too

12809504_454366151417475_6693642082597154359_n.jpg

Going to wait and hope that the new Welly trucks come along soon though rather than convert another RC with the hope that a new Merc and Scanny are done, the new Renault would be much appreciated to but I'm doubtful of that as only Newray have doen those and not Welly.

No wasn't making it up James , but that's not the one I have seen, it's a white one, is rc as the Volvo is, my local model shop had them in before they moved, not been in since, not had time. It had a lot better body detailing and paint finish than that one 

1 hour ago, Tractorman810 said:

No wasn't making it up James , but that's not the one I have seen, it's a white one, is rc as the Volvo is, my local model shop had them in before they moved, not been in since, not had time. It had a lot better body detailing and paint finish than that one 

This one by Jamara Sean,http://jamara-shop.com/Mercedes-Actros-Tipper-1-32-white-40-Mhz

Regards

Joe.

that Volvo you put up james the gold one looks well ,get the lion roaring james ,just looking at the pics like the shunter in ways yard f86 had afew  trips in one of them back in the day ,looks like she got a problem , do need more 1/32 scale trucks you say newray and welly bringing more out would like to see that james , new scania cab soon I read as well james you heard any thing.

Joe, those Jamara ones are the Actors MP3 model from about 2004-2011ish rather than the stunning looking MP4.

Let us know if you do see anymore of them Sean as it'd be interesting to see

Seen a few photos of the new Scanias under testing in the truck mags Graham, as featuring in Marks links, can't see much changing with the design, why change what's not broken? I suspect most of the new bits are transmition and engine wise for EU regulations etc, I think I read somewhere about them being expected to bring out a 780-800hp model to beat Volvos FH750.

Graham, I was speaking to Peter, Convo at the Lakeland Model show and he has said that there will be a few new welly trucks. I've tried to contact both Welly and Oxford Diecast but not got a proper reply from either, I meant to enquirer at the Oxford Die cast tent at the Great Dorset Steam Fair as Mr Oxford is usually on the shop front there, Oxford are the main UK distributor for Welly, but didn't get a chance.Going of there current range we'd be getting A Scania R series Streamline, possibly Topline, Mercedes Actros MP4, MAN TGX and a Volvo FH04. All would be greatly received.

Jamie, I suspect the Dickie is 1/24 as most of their models are, the 17cm is probably the box size.

Archived