First Cut

Deere-est

Left for work early last night as I was keen to get on and it was lucky for you guys I did aswell. Here are some photo's I took of a local farmers gear which he shares with his brother. These are taken on the dairy, the other brother runs a beef farm a couple of miles away. Chopping is a Claas Jaguar 820, raking was a Ford 7840sle (no pic) on the clamp was his Merlo (no pic) and trailering were an 8340 and two 6640's I think. I saw cleared fields near Glastonbury so someone got an even earlier start.

post-227-132638526284_thumb.jpg

post-227-132638526287_thumb.jpg

nice pics tris , not filling the trailers too much though are they ?, load light go fast ? or the trailers are keeping up due to the distance traveled ?

LIGHT LOAD SO TRACTOR CAN PULL IT (I'M NOT STARTING A COLOUR WAR AS I HAVE NOT MENTIONED ANY COLOURS)

I've not heard them around our way yet.

doubt i here anything over here!...all combines and root harvesters :D

may be lucky though, usually only baled silage fi it happens :-\ :)

Excellent pics there Tris, the best pics of the year, well so far anyway. Can't beat the Claas Shaguar ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers Tris, made my day after seeing that then looking out the window  :'(

Havn't started down here yet, and a fleet of 40 series Fords  :-* NCC will love that  :D

Still nothing cut up here yet I don't think. Off out this weekend to have a good look round though to see whats cracking. Had the pleasure of driving our 7740 on the road today :-\ wasn't that bad, except for 3rd and 4th kept locking up again ::) ::)::)

Same as FB never seen a forager working in my whole life :'( just alot of large combines like 480's and 580's with odd CR  ;D

You are missing out on one of life's most enjoyable experiences!

Silage harvesting is frantic, especially with the bigger harvesters.

I especially love it when a) the ground is a bit damp, and B) someone else is driving!

These pics were taken a couple of years ago. The farmer (the owner of the TM) wanted to be the first out, after a couple of very wet weeks. That was the outcome.

The Contractor was running a Massey 4270, a Fiat 110-90, and two JQs (6800 & 6910 if I remember correctly)

The John Qs had the horsies to get speed up to cross the wet patch in front of the gate. The 110-90, on the other hand, was taking three or four attempts to get to the gate because he couldn't get enough speed up, and couldn't maintain the speed he had built up. He did manage not to get bogged, which was an accomplishment in itself.

Here's an earlier pic of the 110-90 in a field back at the farmyard, and the FarmMaster that was on the pit.

I can't see why people go out chopping grass silage when the ground is a bit wet after all it gose in the stack and is not used used for age's could you not hold off abit and not mess up your land?

I have had stuff all to do with silage and don't realy know feel free to put me right anyone. :) :)

FP some of the farms round here are quite small so the first cut is taken very early . A chap called david heywood 2 miles away will soon have his first 60 acres of first cut done ,then a contractor comes in to plough as soon as the forager leaves the field so he can get his maize in . the second cut comes from the smaller fields which is baled :)

phill ,you'll get plenty of silage action at lackham , got a fair few big contractors round that way , tris could probably tell you who they are though .

SPN's right when he says it's frantic , apart from break downs or punctures it's flat out all day. it's not too bad for a farm operation ,but if yer on a contecting team  the level of concentration needded week after week does tire you out, but if you got a good crew & cb's then it can also be a lot of fun, even when yer knackered  :)