Welly Trucks

Stabliofarmer

2 hours ago, Deere-est said:

Do you strip the paint off first, before painting James? Or for you run it down and leave it as a base coat, I'm guessing this method may be OK over white but any colours may taint the respray colour.

Welly paints abit odd. Standard paint thinner will take off the black around the cab and under the grille but even a couple of days in nitromer wont touch the base paint. Ive always just gove it a quick going over with scotch bright or 2000 grit sand paper to create a key and then prime. Not had any issue with paint contamination on any of the older ones which were all blue or orange. I know it is a common problem with an italeri volvo cab which is red plastic which if painted over with white turns the paint pink. That might be an issufar with things like the skirts and air kit on the red one which will be dyed plastic. Their trick to combat it is a base layer or matt black. But in short, no I dont strip them and havent yet had a major issue

Got to see the new trucks out of the box today, very impressed. The detail is good and the wheels are slightly smaller than older wellies making them sit abit better. Will still benefit from a wheel swap. The Scania stands out as the better of the two. The MAN is a little too long, the wheelbase from front to second being the same as an old 4x2 unit. The Scania is a great length and lots of chassis details that are the same as the real vehicle. Included is some photos of each and comparison photos of the old and new Scanias.

IMG_20161216_131122.jpg

IMG_20161216_131517.jpg

IMG_20161216_130941.jpg

IMG_20161216_130948.jpg

IMG_20161216_130955.jpg

IMG_20161216_131017.jpg

IMG_20161216_131031.jpg

IMG_20161216_131045.jpg

IMG_20161216_131054.jpg

IMG_20161216_131105.jpg

The Automaxx wheels are far better. I have probably a dozen or more Automaxx trucks which were set for selling.... I'm having second thoughts now! I only bought them for the wheels mainly, anyway but even with what little model time I get, they may have to stay! What's the story with the V4 in the shed? Nice to see them up close and out of the box. It's a real shame they didn't streamline those front corner panels, though. Are you going to try and cut them back and fill them in, James?

Same here Tris with the AutoMaxx trucks. I have sold a few but may keep what i have left. Also may keep the Siku low loader trailer after I see what it looks like behind a 6X4 MAN. It may help having the long chassis.

I've ordered off eBay a red Scania R730 6x4. a blue MAN 6x4 and an orange Scania R470 4x2. Would also be interested to find out where the white R470's are available from.

P

On 12/17/2016 at 0:00 PM, Jdeere6910 said:

Got to say they look even better on the Automaxx wheels, just ordered a white 6x4 to see what they are like in the flesh.

@Stabliofarmer have you got any of those white R470's for sale? I can only find the orange ones now

3 hours ago, PDH said:

Same here Tris with the AutoMaxx trucks. I have sold a few but may keep what i have left. Also may keep the Siku low loader trailer after I see what it looks like behind a 6X4 MAN. It may help having the long chassis.

I've ordered off eBay a red Scania R730 6x4. a blue MAN 6x4 and an orange Scania R470 4x2. Would also be interested to find out where the white R470's are available from.

P

The white R470's came from Bulgaria via eBay, just a case of keeping an eye out for when they come up. At the moment I don't want to sell them as they where such a good price I can use them for parts.

13 hours ago, Deere-est said:

The Automaxx wheels are far better. I have probably a dozen or more Automaxx trucks which were set for selling.... I'm having second thoughts now! I only bought them for the wheels mainly, anyway but even with what little model time I get, they may have to stay! What's the story with the V4 in the shed? Nice to see them up close and out of the box. It's a real shame they didn't streamline those front corner panels, though. Are you going to try and cut them back and fill them in, James?

I have my own wheel concoction to go on these, an automaxx britains hybrid. The FH04 is a cheap RC model with the windows cut out and repainted, slowly getting there with it. The full topic on it is here http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/topic/24082-volvo-fh16-the-lion/ . I have streamlined the old welly in the past and its not too awkward a job.

IMG_20160925_213611.jpg

Currently I've got one of these in paint as it is as I really like that 2012 model with the vents and latest grill, has a real mean look to it. I'm currently deciding between streamlining or t cabbing the other one.

Thanks for the info, I've seen that in the past come to think of it. Mainly in Italian websites though with a phase to Actros too, in red or yellow I think. Shame some of these companies don't push them more because they'd do very well. Even left alone they're ok but yourself and some of the European sites have shown what can be done with them. I do like the highline cab you've made too, very tidy work cutting and rejoining the roof, James.

Theres a number of variants of the RC Merc. They were for sale at the great dorset steam fair two years ago for £35. Kicking my self that I didnt get one. There is also a Euro 6 shape DAF XF but I haven't tracked one down yet for a decent price. It is a shame they're not all more readily available

• 1 year later...

Archived