Bluegreen archives

bluegreen

Also In 1991 Claas were demoing the new 260hp  118SL and I got a couple of pics of it in the field with Stetchworth estates 1 yr old NH TX36.

The pair of 228s with 25ft headers were bought in 1995 by Bartlow estates to handle 4000acres of cereals and pulses. They were probably amongst the last sold in the UK.  I think that pic was taken in 1999 in their last harvest.  And I don't think Ive seen a Commander working in the UK since, unlike the still plentiful Dominators.

P1060109.JPG

P1060112.JPG

P1060116.JPG

• Like 8

Thanks for posting them up -

Great photos, and a great period for machinery give me them over a lexion and big CR any day!

Really good background info as well, keep the pictures and the info coming.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I thought I would stick with older Claas harvesters for a while before posting pics of other brands.   So firstly two evening pics from the late 80s of two 1984 Claas 116cs plus 20ft heads and one 106 with 17ft.

And then three pics of a brand new 1987 Claas 115cs with 17ft header working near Newmarket.

Finally a 116cs  with a "Huge"  22 ft header  which was the biggest I had seen in 1987.

P1060132.JPG

P1060133.JPG

P1060134.JPG

P1060131.JPG

P1060130.JPG

P1060139.JPG

• Like 7

No Joe, they were Chris Browns from Bury st Edmunds contracting near Kennet church....................he switched to three JD 1188s the next year.

The 115cs was Robert Claydons of Ashley /Gazeley   and no clue about the 116 except it was near Haverhill.

What and where did your Dad drive Mark??

Next up Stetchworth estates,  in 1987 they merged farms with their neighbour and both had orders in with Claas for a pair of 108sl machines.........................so they ended up keeping all four for a couple of seasons on the 3000 acres of cereals.  They also kept all their tractors for two years until they decided which way to go which meant a mixture of brands as one farm was Ford the other MF.  They usually started all four machines together and then split off into pairs at opposite ends of the estate.

P1060128.JPG

P1060129.JPG

P1060138.JPG

P1060136.JPG

• Like 6

In 1989 Vesty farms of Thurlow bought 6  Claas 108s and 108sl combines for three of their four farms and then in 1990 changed two 98s machines on their fourth farm for one of the first generation Claas maxi 108sl combines with 20ft.  These were only available for that year and then replaced with the snazzy white panelled, white augered versions for 1991.

P1060140.JPG

• Like 3

Hi Mark, as I recall I did take one picture of a 8080 working on Primrose Hill Moulton in a field that Barons of Moulton manor farm work these days.   I never could work out whos machine it was as all the fields surrounding that one were harvested with claas machines.  Did your Dads farm do contract works?    I will dig the photo out and put it up when I do a New Holland sequence of pics.

In the meantime heres a brand new 1991 Demonstrator Claas maxi 98sl

P1060142.JPG

Edited by bluegreen
  • Like 3

No sorry Mark never saw that one.   I did used to look round Uptons farm next door which was mainly Fiats and a few Fords.  And Ive always kept an eye on the CNH test centre in between both those farms as well.   I was first person to get pics online of NH T7000, TSA, CASE  MXU ............somebody else got to the Puma just before me.

Hundon Hall near Bury st Edmunds ran four Claas 108sl combines from 87 to 1990 and then in 1991 were the first to get a new 118sl pictured below on wide tyres.  I thought they would have more the next season but instead bought a Axial flow 1680!!  And then a Claas 228 as well in 93, before going over to NH in 1997 along with a few other big farms with TX68s.

As I recall the four Claas machines came rolling past me on my bike and turned into the field to be cut............I followed them and waited for them to get set up but just as they had cleared an area around the headland the heavens opened and I had to dive for cover from the deluge!   That put the tin hat on my plans and I had to make do with a couple of shots of them parked up instead.

P1060144.JPG

P1060141.JPG

• Like 3

Yes that's right Mark, Ive seen several Fords NHs CASE machines over there years before they got launched.  The Puma 210 was the best one in sept 2005,  I took one look at it and knew CASE were going to be right back in business after the MXM disaster!!

Stetchworth Estates went from four 108sl claas machines to two and a NH tx36 and then down to two when they bought this pre production 218 mega 20ft  in 1992..................its funny,  I thought it was just a rebadged 118sl with the APS unit fitted in the intake area, but comparing the pics above it looks a bit bigger with more vents in front of the grain tank.

P1060143.JPG

Edited by bluegreen
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, chris.watson said:

Great pics Phil. For me, this is the golden age of farm machinery. The machines these days just don't have the charisma that they had back in the 80's and 90's. 

I think a few of us are now arriving at that conclusion Chris,  the new stuff is impressive but theres no heart in it.....................The last classic tractor made in my opinion was the JD7810 and since it was phased out in 2003 everything has become far too computerised.   In hindsight JD killed it when they launched itec pro and left the driver as mostly a passenger.

I'm going to change my layout soon, especially now the last classic combine is about to be made (Claas Commander 228cs).............I will put that on it with my JD fleet of 3 and 4000s and a pair of the 7810s and maybe a Magnum or a TW and that will be that.   My new stuff can sit on the mantelpiece instead of the other way round ha ha!.

In fact the pics below mark the changeover from machines made by men with just a little computer assistance to ones made with a lot of it.

The year is 1995 and the farm is Oliver Walstons (very apt ha ha)  and in the very charismatic corner are the JD4255 and the Brimont trailers which I know Mark will like:)..............just qualifying in that group is a new JD7600...........................then there is a pre production Claas 480 owned by Walstons and a prototype 460 in the same field. 

For me the Lexions arrival was the death of combine charisma,  it was so obviously totally designed by computers!!   Very impressive of course but for me personally it was such a massive departure in style from the 228 I just didn't like it.    I would actually say that the current 780tt is probably the best looking harvester anyones made todate although the red and yellow machines and JD are all good lookers!!    But it is heart and soul we are talking about here and theres no doubt the computer had really taken over from man upon the Lexion 480s arrival.

P1060147.JPG

P1060146.JPG

P1060148.JPG

Edited by bluegreen
  • Like 5

I remember the first 480 lexion I saw Phil, it belonged to a contractor called John Harrison, out of steeple bumstead in Essex, it had "acre eater 1" on the side of it, and by God did it eat acres. I remember how futuristic it looked, but now it looks somewhat classic. I hope after the imminent commandor release, someone makes a good, detailed 480, and for me, the Claas model stable will be complete, well, I say that, but a mega would be the icing on the cake.

2 hours ago, bluegreen said:

Yes that's right Mark, Ive seen several Fords NHs CASE machines over there years before they got launched.  The Puma 210 was the best one in sept 2005,  I took one look at it and knew CASE were going to be right back in business after the MXM disaster!!

Stetchworth Estates went from four 108sl claas machines to two and a NH tx36 and then down to two when they bought this pre production 218 mega 20ft  in 1992..................its funny,  I thought it was just a rebadged 118sl with the APS unit fitted in the intake area, but comparing the pics above it looks a bit bigger with more vents in front of the grain tank.

P1060143.JPG

Don't mean to butt into your thread - but saw this 218 a few years ago, and always wondered if it too was a pre production machine as it was on a K plate which I thought seemed too early for them?

Keep them coming!

P1010110.JPG

• Like 1

Hi Joe, Stetchworths was a K plate 92 as well,   Claas often send out several pre production machines to customers a year before they officially launch them.

Hi Chris,  It was John Harrisons Claas 228cs with the 30ft header on it pictured earlier in this thread.   If you look at the side on shot of his 228 someone has written "This is a combine"  in the dust...............at that exact moment in 1994 the 228 + its 30ft cut was the highest output machine in the country.

• Like 1

Very interesting Phil, thanks for the info. We had Harrison's come in a month ago to swath our whole crop Spring barley with their Claas maxi swather and the guys were saying they now only farm just over 2000 acres. To much competition for whole farm contracting now apparently

• 2 weeks later...

A couple more old Claas pics,  the first is one of the 4 Dom 108sl machines run by Stetchworth estates on its very first field hence the shiney green auger!

The next was one of Vestys 108s machines back in 1989 a picture taken with a special lens to make the sky darker blue....................I soon got fed up with that.

P1060216.JPG

P1060201.JPG

• Like 2

I was very much into my Massey combines back in the late 80s,   this 865 was on its final season in 1987 as the farmer had pre ordered one of the first MF38 machines for 1988.

And talking of MF38s here is a real rarity,  a 1987 pre production MF38 sat in TNS yard at Kentord near Newmarket.   It had red wheels and a red door pillar unlike the 88 full production model.

P1060206.JPG

P1060202.JPG

• Like 5