Brians Farm Layout

b_emmons

Have finally taken the plunge to start a Layout, and after a visit to the local Hobby Craft store I brought 3 3foot x 2foot basic artist canvas boards. They have a nice wooded frame and I will be cutting and mounting 5 mm foam board to fill in the back for strength, and using woodland scenic vinyl grass mat and road kit for ease of construction. Large concrete areas will be made from suitable card stock, and gravel roads will be made using grit and white glue as it will stick nicely to the canvas.

I have ordered a few Masons attic's secords (seconds I think) barns from Ebay to use for sizing, and if lucky should make into presentable buildings with a little work, and with some box playing they look a good size to me, and I hope to make each board a separate diorama that can be joined together to make a large layout for displaying at shows :)

All help and advice will be appreciated as I have no idea what a farm yard should look like :D 

board 1.JPG

board 2.JPG

board 3.JPG

board 4.JPG

board 5.JPG

board 6.JPG

board 7.JPG

board 8.JPG

board 9.JPG

46 minutes ago, Paul Palmer said:

will be following this Brian,good luck

Thanks Paul.

Just trying to make a light weight and portable base that can hopefully withstand a few knocks, and is easily expandable to future proof it and allow it to attend different sized shows, so can show a full layout or just odd parts showing various vehicles off. will be 3x2, 4x3, 6x3, 8x3 etc depending on how many I add. have enough boards for up to a 6x3 layout at moment :)

• 2 weeks later...

Progress on the first board has been made, and it has shown me area's I will have to work on for the two farm yard boards to get a fairly level yard surface :)

have added the reinforcing from behind and field has a nicely undulating surface for the grass base layer :D

Little green tractor was helping, and enjoyed tearing around the 36x24 inch grass field :D 

board 10.JPG

board 11.JPG

board 12.JPG

board 13.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Have had to have a rethink on making the boards and now using 3.8mm ply that works fine but still keeps the boards fairly light, as I found the foam board will not work :)

Now have 4 frames and have started to make the main farmyard boards, that still require the grass verge and road added at the front, but the general size looks good for the two three bay barns I have. The road bends at the entrance to the farm and fields in  a similar way to some farms around my area :) (boards/photo's 1 and 2)

The silage clamp will have one or two bays removed from its length to make it the same as the barns and might also be made one bay narrower so it still looks large but will not dominate its board :) it will have a concrete base to match up with the farm yard and the rest will be Grass field :) (board/photo 3)

The glue I used for the grass field has not worked correctly (the glue made by same people as the grass mat) :( so I will have to eventually run the Gregoire Besson over it, followed by the Horsch 8 metre seeder to relay it :D (Board/photo 4)

A bit of a learning curve as first time I have used the mat, so glad it was not on the to be built new model railway layout :D 

DSC_0219.JPG

DSC_0220.JPG

DSC_0221.JPG

DSC_0222.JPG

Looking good Brian.

I found it to be very difficult to stop the green matting from warping like that. I remember I had a little hand roller trying to smooth it, but 5 mins later there would be bubbling somewhere else on the board.

11 minutes ago, SPN said:

Looking good Brian.

I found it to be very difficult to stop the green matting from warping like that. I remember I had a little hand roller trying to smooth it, but 5 mins later there would be bubbling somewhere else on the board.

I am finding some areas are just lifting off where  I used the mat adhesives, yet areas I used normal white craft glue have stayed down so will try white glue on the road/verge area and see what happens :)

• 4 months later...

might finally be making some progress :)

basic farm yard boards made and being painted :) 

and two fields are now made and seem to holding up :)

Changed back to using paper backed flock grass sheet's by Peco :)

layout 5.JPG

layout 6.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, T.H Conversions said:

Looking good Brian, some lovely machinery you have there

Thank you :)

I was also selling off some of my collection as I had changed some items for better detailed models and also now keeping to a Claas, Valtra and Chellenger main collection but keeping my collection of classic machines and some other equipment :)

and plenty of work still to do :)

8 minutes ago, b_emmons said:

Thank you :)

I was also selling off some of my collection as I had changed some items for better detailed models and also now keeping to a Claas, Valtra and Chellenger main collection but keeping my collection of classic machines and some other equipment :)

and plenty of work still to do :)

Good to focus on collecting certain things and selling stuff that you don't really need, I find it hard to sell things though hahaha :unsure:

3 minutes ago, T.H Conversions said:

Good to focus on collecting certain things and selling stuff that you don't really need, I find it hard to sell things though hahaha :unsure:

I had run out of storage space :ph34r:

Archived