Henton 12 ton trailer

I hate them too mate !!! I don’t see the point in 2 we put them on our trailers as you couldn’t see the ones on the tractor if you was to follow it. Never had them on in the day though. Pointless there more than visible !!! I understand at night. I can’t stand them on older tractors either. Looks awful haha 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, tabmodels said:

Lovely bit of work there Sam, top shelf as usual! Looks like a tricky build with all the linkages but you've nailed it and it looks superb :)

Cheers mate I really appreciate that. Sure was tricky and fiddly but we got there in the end ;) just got to get some clear lacquer on now 

Migraines more like mate :D most I’ve seen use electrical wire for the rod attached to the chassis that opens it automatically. but I wanted it to look right which made it 10x harder. Glad I’ve sussed it out anyway the next shouldn’t be so hard. I’ve got 1 more to build I might make a grain trailer with it too :) see how my arm is anyway. Will need to source some more suitable wheels! Glad you like it mate ;) 

tidy work sam, only thing i would say is paint the outer sleves of the rams, doesnt look right all silver, it will work, just give it a sand over with a fine wet and dry,and a metal primer ,then top coat, ,i foumd out the hard way with paint flakes until i sanded first 

FD4891C8-EC3B-4B0B-B60F-DD0F57C26811.jpeg

1 minute ago, Tractorman810 said:

tidy work sam, only thing i would say is paint the outer sleves of the rams, doesnt look right all silver, it will work, just give it a sand over with a fine wet and dry,and a metal primer ,then top coat, ,i foumd out the hard way with paint flakes until i sanded first 

FD4891C8-EC3B-4B0B-B60F-DD0F57C26811.jpeg

Thank you Sean. I was thinking that myself. I did do that on my mf 200s but what puts me off doing it is masking off the other shiney silver bits to the ram. Last time I did it there was all horrible residue off the masking tape and it made the ram feel clunky and not smooth :/ nice petit trailers love the twin axle mate :) 

you wont need to mask them,,certainly never  have on mine ,  just paint it in the down / closed position, that way the only bits with paint on are the very end that attachs to the body ,which i usualy make a plastic end for anyway , and the outer sleeve. any that gets on the inner one just peels off due to the chrime finish under it ,and that will only be the very top rolled end if that makes sence   

the small ones a dads tractors one , but the big boys all my work, individual wood planks and fully working , dropping sides ,grain shoot with top swing or drop rear door , only thing i didnt do was silage tops as pettit dont do them that size .got plans for some more for the layout, 2 small 6 ton single axel ones, a pettit and a ransoms one like we had for real, all wooden planking ect 

13 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

you wont need to mask them,,certainly never  have on mine ,  just paint it in the down / closed position, that way the only bits with paint on are the very end that attachs to the body ,which i usualy make a plastic end for anyway , and the outer sleeve. any that gets on the inner one just peels off due to the chrime finish under it ,and that will only be the very top rolled end if that makes sence   

the small ones a dads tractors one , but the big boys all my work, individual wood planks and fully working , dropping sides ,grain shoot with top swing or drop rear door , only thing i didnt do was silage tops as pettit dont do them that size .got plans for some more for the layout, 2 small 6 ton single axel ones, a pettit and a ransoms one like we had for real, all wooden planking ect 

I’ll give that a whirl just concerned about messing it up now it’s done but would look better ! The brass sleeves fell out one ram so put a small bit of Tamiya masking tape on the bottom and seems to be fine now. 

I’ve drawn up a ransomes trailer Similar to one I used one a few times,  can’t remeber what size it was but I’ve got it in my folder ready to build. Would be nice to make a few. Next though is the ETC MILL trailers for me. Once my arms better that is. But yes there’s a few ETCs I’d like to build. They was made just up the road from me at ellesmere 

13 minutes ago, mb86 said:

Look forward to these next trailers mate, I have a ransomes trailer brochure if you need any dimensions or info out of it. 

Your a bundle of info mate!! Yes please I could do with some screen grabs won’t be building it yet but be handy to know if I’ve scaled it correctly :) 

i wouldnt worry about takimg that one apart now sam, not worth it, but deffo worth it for any others, ones you sand it up you can add hoses etc as they bond better , just glue a tiny bit of plasti rod on, then once its painted you can slide the hose in no issues and glue

i have a ransomes and pettit brouchure,  both are pretty much identical style wise bar the colours, same dimensions the works . took a while to find them as both are 12 pagers side tips the lot .

13 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

i wouldnt worry about takimg that one apart now sam, not worth it, but deffo worth it for any others, ones you sand it up you can add hoses etc as they bond better , just glue a tiny bit of plasti rod on, then once its painted you can slide the hose in no issues and glue

i have a ransomes and pettit brouchure,  both are pretty much identical style wise bar the colours, same dimensions the works . took a while to find them as both are 12 pagers side tips the lot .

Yes your probably right mate. I’ll Remember that for the next one. I’ve not got a ransomes or Pettit brochure. They must be very rare, only got mf 200s, weeks and Warwick. 12 pages... I bet that’s an interesting read ! I’d love one 

22 minutes ago, Cheshire Farm Models said:

Your a bundle of info mate!! Yes please I could do with some screen grabs won’t be building it yet but be handy to know if I’ve scaled it correctly :) 

I'll sort you those out no problem. 

6 minutes ago, mb86 said:

I'll sort you those out no problem. 

Don’t suppose you have a salopian trailer brochure mate ?? My dad has begged me for years to make him one after using them in his youth at the barber estate on a brand new 590. I just cannot find any pics... I’ve seen 1 they’ve got a mesh floor on them 

37 minutes ago, mb86 said:

Afraid not mate, would those latterly be Salop trailers?

No worries ! They may not of even had brochures for them. And I think so mate. I’m not sure. I thought they had something to do with Salopian Kenneth Hudson... better known by its abrevation S.K.H it has me baffled I can’t work it out 

26 minutes ago, prickles said:

salons did do brochures  they built the first commercial available/production monocoque tipping trailers.  very lightweight by todays standards and bodies prone to getting mis shaped very quickly  . due to low weight made excellent silage trailers for tow loading behind trailed harvesters.

Found in the brochure for the forager. 

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Cheshire Farm Models said:

Thank you mate. I try my best :) 

I’m getting the urge to get on with my MF weeks again. Must get my finger out, my excuse is babies, boy do they take it out of you!! Don’t let my wife hear me say that, she says I go to work for a break! 

17 hours ago, alf aphid said:

I’m getting the urge to get on with my MF weeks again. Must get my finger out, my excuse is babies, boy do they take it out of you!! Don’t let my wife hear me say that, she says I go to work for a break! 

I’ve got a batch of 10 twin axle bale trailers in the pipeline this year, also 5/6 smaller batches of silage trailers !! I also need to pull my finger out!! with me it’s customer orders taking forever to complete - I’ve cut down on them now so should be fine come 2/3 weeks. I couldn’t imagine having the littlens about all the time, I bet your up all hours of the night !! Enjoy it whilst there young models can wait for a min 

Archived