Henton 12 ton trailer

Another one finished off. Some different photos this time. Showing more of the joints and fixings allowung this model to tick ! I’ll probably take a few more photos again once the sun has calmed down !! I tweaked this one a tiny bit. I couldn’t get hold of another set of Britain’s marston wheels so I chucked a pair of Nc dump trailer wheels on it and I’m very pleased they suit the trailer well. The other tweak was to the door mechanism I had to fit extra braces for added strength (hidden by the wheels) oh and last but not least I painted the rams up, usually something I never give a thought but Sean pointed it out and they’ve come out a treat :) 

B8A33313-B781-4FA5-8977-A9892440C450.jpeg

6C0C9E6C-2FD8-46F9-8B85-FF7607687E64.jpeg

3B050A14-FA45-452D-BF83-CA9B2E79F9E4.jpeg

FFB4DF27-8C44-4FA4-A4A0-8BAE8B6F5276.jpeg

4D3E1C3F-BBB6-4CF7-BB8C-C56F31BFB23D.jpeg

8D756E72-FE63-414E-A093-D5E26074A17D.jpeg

4CBD15D2-7EF5-441A-A988-852D63B17A07.jpeg

04CEB6EB-3E5B-4046-9ABE-1C6C612816CE.jpeg

7BB8EE85-BE96-425B-A717-BB23409B4E00.jpeg

2170F9EB-D5B8-4587-A82B-41950E0FF78F.jpeg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, mb86 said:

Superb sam, really tidy. The nc wheels look spot on, they have nicer tread than the marston ones. 

Cheers mate. Glad you like it. Aye I’m chuffed with the wheels as you say the treads real nice and I drilled the holes out on them and it worked a treat. For once I’m happy with the wheels haha. Have to look at getting them cast ! 

19 minutes ago, 844john said:

very, very nice Sam, that paintwork looks fantastic

Thank you mate. I did this one differently, the last one I stupidly fully assembled the whole model and the back door had serious issues with the paint securing it in place ! So this time I built the body,  the rear door with mechanism and finally the chassis all separate and painted them separately too. I did struggle with the inside of the body. With it being all enclosed the over spray is absolutely dreadful !! Only way around that is to build the sides and assemble afterwards but then it’s allot of faffing for just shiny paint :/ 

Lovely trailer Sam, tell me what dimension of brass did you use? I’m planning a 7 tonne Griffiths next and the design looks very similar, I think the brass would lend itself, I particularly like the additional weight too. What did you glue it to the plasticard with ? 

3 minutes ago, alf aphid said:

Lovely trailer Sam, tell me what dimension of brass did you use? I’m planning a 7 tonne Griffiths next and the design looks very similar, I think the brass would lend itself, I particularly like the additional weight too. What did you glue it to the plasticard with ? 

Thanks allot Alf. With this one I didn’t use brass. I ran out so I had to bodge this one. The brass one which was the first one was very very heavy. I got it from B&Q. I still have a small strip left. But this second trailer I actually used 2 strips of styrene with a gap down the middle which I filled with body filler to create the larger horizontal braces. I couldn’t waste time going to the model shop so this was the only option. Hopefully you can’t tell !! I will have a rummage through my draw and see if I can find some suitable sized brass for your griffiths as I’ve just had a restock and let you know !! And send that price list I forgot about :O sorry mate ! As for glueing the bits on I use superglue and plastic weld. Although it can be iffy using weld on thinner card as it melts it to create the bond sometimes you can see it on the other side like on the headboard of this trailer it did it ever so slightly. It’s essential I won’t sell a model without weld now. Once it’s cured the part you’ve welded will be very secure and ridged.

22 hours ago, Cheshire Farm Models said:

Thanks allot Alf. With this one I didn’t use brass. I ran out so I had to bodge this one. The brass one which was the first one was very very heavy. I got it from B&Q. I still have a small strip left. But this second trailer I actually used 2 strips of styrene with a gap down the middle which I filled with body filler to create the larger horizontal braces. I couldn’t waste time going to the model shop so this was the only option. Hopefully you can’t tell !! I will have a rummage through my draw and see if I can find some suitable sized brass for your griffiths as I’ve just had a restock and let you know !! And send that price list I forgot about :O sorry mate ! As for glueing the bits on I use superglue and plastic weld. Although it can be iffy using weld on thinner card as it melts it to create the bond sometimes you can see it on the other side like on the headboard of this trailer it did it ever so slightly. It’s essential I won’t sell a model without weld now. Once it’s cured the part you’ve welded will be very secure and ridged.

Thanks Sam, so given your experience would you recommend the brass route? Im mindful that actually too much weight can probably create its own issues. In truth it’s only when you pick them up the added weight is nice, I want to go for combination of what looks best but equally isn’t a complete bugger to build!! 

On 5/15/2018 at 9:34 PM, alf aphid said:

Thanks Sam, so given your experience would you recommend the brass route? Im mindful that actually too much weight can probably create its own issues. In truth it’s only when you pick them up the added weight is nice, I want to go for combination of what looks best but equally isn’t a complete bugger to build!! 

Sorry for late reply mate. Okay so short and simple answer... No. Using brass can be a challenge in itself. Put it this way - I can solder very well and I would still not bother using brass. For me plastruct is ample. You can create very very strong models from plastruct with half the effort and dare I say you can be more accurate with plastruct. I will reinforce this is just my own opinion to other readers!!! :) plastruct/evergreen is the best in my opinion. However I do encoroporate small amounts of brass into about 90% of builds. For Things like railings and angles. It can be very very useful as plastruct can’t hold angles and certain bends like brass. It’s hard to explain but as you become a more experienced model builder you will know yourself when is the correct time to encorporate it into your models mate :) that’s a small insight from what I’ve learnt anyway. I’m fully self taught I only joined the forum last year I think. I know a few of the top boys have been to college and studied model making but I think you can find out what you need through perseverance and dedication.

21 hours ago, Cheshire Farm Models said:

Sorry for late reply mate. Okay so short and simple answer... No. Using brass can be a challenge in itself. Put it this way - I can solder very well and I would still not bother using brass. For me plastruct is ample. You can create very very strong models from plastruct with half the effort and dare I say you can be more accurate with plastruct. I will reinforce this is just my own opinion to other readers!!! :) plastruct/evergreen is the best in my opinion. However I do encoroporate small amounts of brass into about 90% of builds. For Things like railings and angles. It can be very very useful as plastruct can’t hold angles and certain bends like brass. It’s hard to explain but as you become a more experienced model builder you will know yourself when is the correct time to encorporate it into your models mate :) that’s a small insight from what I’ve learnt anyway. I’m fully self taught I only joined the forum last year I think. I know a few of the top boys have been to college and studied model making but I think you can find out what you need through perseverance and dedication.

Thanks Sam very much for that. I’m probably not that surprised at your answer. I will stick plastics at this stage! Just need to get my tipping rams sorted on the Massey’s before starting the next! 

Thanks again 

• 1 month later...

Great build with the trailer.  I'm building a custom silage truck.  What did you use for the rams?  Are they radio aerials? 

That's what I was going to use.

I'm using an aoshima fuso kit cab and chassis and custom making the tip deck and bin

Archived