• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, mb86 said:

Brilliant once again Ian, each time we see a model from you you have added more and more detail. Love seeing them mid build like this, it's a bit like looking down the assembly line at fleet. 

Thanks Martin! A lot of the detail is usually tucked away inside the cab or behind the wheels, hmmm, County assembly line, that would make a nice display piece!

26 minutes ago, alf aphid said:

If I win the lottery Ian, you will have a lot of work! 

hes already got a long list of work i suspect alaistair ,dount hes got time for more , even i am on his waiting list for something :D and yes its blue :blink:

does look nice that,on the grill front did you consider doing a wax mould ? seen it done before on some fine stuff on youtube. the guy basicly cut his part out from wax block with fine knifes ,a sort of solid mould i guess ,once happy he , took a resin cast  from it until he perfected it ,then took the rubber mould from the final resin part as its form. if he got the wax part wrong, he just dripped some wax back in, let it set and tried again . seemed a bit long winded at the time, but he got perfect parts from it once done .and didnt waste much bar a few resin tests till happy  

11 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

hes already got a long list of work i suspect alaistair ,dount hes got time for more , even i am on his waiting list for something :D and yes its blue :blink:

does look nice that,on the grill front did you consider doing a wax mould ? seen it done before on some fine stuff on youtube. the guy basicly cut his part out from wax block with fine knifes ,a sort of solid mould i guess ,once happy he , took a resin cast  from it until he perfected it ,then took the rubber mould from the final resin part as its form. if he got the wax part wrong, he just dripped some wax back in, let it set and tried again . seemed a bit long winded at the time, but he got perfect parts from it once done .and didnt waste much bar a few resin tests till happy  

Thanks Sean, never even heard of that technique but sounds like a good idea. I sometimes have to mould and re-mould to get the part that I want, narrowing it down. It is long winded especially waiting on rubber moulds setting before they can be used. The issue I have with raising the white outline part of this grill is not only is it difficult, but once it's done I'd have to hand paint the white parts in! I'm thinking it would be a less than perfect finish, the print on the other hand is a bit of a compromise, but nice straight clean lines;)

i hadnt until i saw the video, was just looking for it but cant find it right now, . it looked a good idea,as the wax could just be refilled and he started again if he wasnt happy , once happy he just mixed  a small amount of resin,and did a test one, adjusted etc until happy, 

Archived