Siku JD 6920s conversion

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

on the real deal the weights would be closer in to the front as the weight frame only sticks out about 6 inch from the grill, which is about where the front is on the model. The problem is the bit underneath this on the model, which to be accurate shouldn't be there but is part of the housing for the front axle, then the weights would sit on the frame and be closer in to the front. I've removed this on some that I've done, including the 6420, but it does mean that you need to fit a new front axle 

WP_20181028_21_22_33_Pro (2).jpg

Thanks John :) that conversion is brilliant! Is it merged with a 3650 or 3350? I had a look at mine and your right, it's too blimin thick! I think I might just leave mine as I don't have any axels or wheels that would suit it. 

Well it's still a lot better than the a frame style linkage.  Have mine sitting with a gaping hole in the front at present as I can't decide what to put on it, wish Britains Toy Farm still did those white metal replacement linkages, though I suppose the thick chassis would still stick out like a sore thumb!

My skills are a few light years away from John's convo so replacing axle is off the table.

7 hours ago, T.H Conversions said:

Thanks John :) that conversion is brilliant! Is it merged with a 3650 or 3350? I had a look at mine and your right, it's too blimin thick! I think I might just leave mine as I don't have any axels or wheels that would suit it. 

It's been a little while since i did that one, but i believe it was based on a Siku Massey chassis with the shortened bonnet and cab from the 6920, the wheels from a UH Valtra, and the rest was scratch built, so a bit of a mix and match! As Alastair suggested, if you're careful you can remove the lower part of the chin back to the cover over the front axle and that would allow you to sit the weights on the piece that is left, which is about the right size and shape for the weight frame.:)

WP_20181029_05_50_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20181029_05_50_41_Pro.jpg

9 hours ago, alf aphid said:

Can you not trim that “chin” off partially, even if not completely? I haven’t got mine to hand, so maybe talking rubbish!

2 hours ago, 844john said:

It's been a little while since i did that one, but i believe it was based on a Siku Massey chassis with the shortened bonnet and cab from the 6920, the wheels from a UH Valtra, and the rest was scratch built, so a bit of a mix and match! As Alastair suggested, if you're careful you can remove the lower part of the chin back to the cover over the front axle and that would allow you to sit the weights on the piece that is left, which is about the right size and shape for the weight frame.:)

Thanks guys, I'm gonna have a go at taking that off...

this bit ? IMG_7580.thumb.JPG.1451d3650195673e0bf88535b8b92323.JPG

9 hours ago, CX820Joe said:

Well it's still a lot better than the a frame style linkage.  Have mine sitting with a gaping hole in the front at present as I can't decide what to put on it, wish Britains Toy Farm still did those white metal replacement linkages, though I suppose the thick chassis would still stick out like a sore thumb!

My skills are a few light years away from John's convo so replacing axle is off the table.

Hehehe yes that chassis is a pain

my skills are also way behind Johns, I've never found a good way of bonding things

5 hours ago, CX820Joe said:

I was just about to say "great, I've got one of those" but it's the Ros XB100 I've got!

Really suits the JD though.  Not looking forward to trying to glaze the cab though

Hehehe thank you, yes seems to go quite well. You can pick those hurlimanns quite cheaply on eBay

no im not either, do you have a method? I used a cd case last time :) 

31 minutes ago, T.H Conversions said:

Hehehe thank you, yes seems to go quite well. You can pick those hurlimanns quite cheaply on eBay

My method is probably to see if someone will do it for me for a fair price!:D

10 hours ago, T.H Conversions said:

What I've found very useful for glazing cabs is sheets of acetate, it's flexible enough to cut with scissors and bend around slight curves, but rigid enough to hold its shape, and it also takes the glue very well......and the beauty of it is the wife uses it for her cake decorating, so there's always plenty of it to hand;)

I should make an attempt to do it myself I suppose...no confidence that's the trouble. I still remember trying to glaze the cab of the earliest Siku Lexion combine and made an utter pigs ear of it.  Can't harm to have a go

2 hours ago, 844john said:

What I've found very useful for glazing cabs is sheets of acetate, it's flexible enough to cut with scissors and bend around slight curves, but rigid enough to hold its shape, and it also takes the glue very well......and the beauty of it is the wife uses it for her cake decorating, so there's always plenty of it to hand;)

Thanks John,What glue do you reckon would be best? I've done it before and it has misted

Archived