Market Deeping model railway club

Anybody else saddened by what happened to this club?I can only imagine how devastated I would be if I'd set up for a show and walked in the next day to see my models smashed on the floor.As fellow modelers this could easily have happened to some of us.

4 hours ago, Dusty Dan said:

Sorry to hear of this, but what exactly happened to them? 

It's very sad Corky. A bunch of youths broke into a school where a model railway club had put on a display and totally ransacked everything, destroying the layout and the models that we're on it, apparently some of the items destroyed had taken 25 years to build. I just can't think what must go through someone's head to make them do something like this. This type of person needs to be stamped on straight away in my opinion, as a pattern of criminal activity often emerges, this time they got their thrills breaking and entering and destroying someone's property, next time will it be breaking in to steal from a pensioner?......

train-wreck-you-351489-760x428.jpg

37 minutes ago, Paul Palmer said:

what those youngsters need is a bloody good slap

That's the problem though Paul, no one can lay a finger on them now, gone are the days when the local bobbie could give them a clip round the ear or they got a caning at school....and they know that no one can touch them. But then, apparently that's progress......

Those youngsters need a good kick up the hole..unfortunately that will probably not happen .   Such a nasty thing to do. Time and effort destroyed . And I assume the displays were probably set up as a fundraiser for a good cause or charity. Soul destroying ..

Catch them hopefully, then make them or their parents pay some restitution, financially. Have them do community service. At most, send them to talk to a child psychologist. The parents may have tried to raise their kids right, maybe not, but somewhere, someone failed.

I have seen and read about vandalism over here, different scenarios. I could never understand it. Boredom, the thrill of destroying something? I am very glad that I have never had to experience it with my children or grandchildren. If these kids don’t get straightened out it could lead to bigger crime. 

Wha, such devastating kids ... they should be well punished for these actions! This is probably one of the reasons why for example the exhibition hall in Zwolle is guarded over night during the show.  

23 hours ago, 844john said:

That's the problem though Paul, no one can lay a finger on them now, gone are the days when the local bobbie could give them a clip round the ear or they got a caning at school....and they know that no one can touch them. But then, apparently that's progress......

how right you are John

That be soul destroying to walk into a room and see that... it's bad enough when you accidentally being a bit ham-fisted damage one of your own models..... i have a lot of sympathy for the railway club must be sickening for them after all the hours gone into building those layouts and taken in just a few minutes of mindless vandalism... the vandals themselves need to be found and given a bit of pain themselves, though like said, todays generation have no fear of the police, and the powers that be aren't really powers.... more like wet-wipes for nursing the youths to protect them after they do something like this..... 

Although it isn't just with the youth that get wet-nursed... it's across society in general... when an 16 stone rugby player complains to the Health and safety manager that tightening 6 axle bolts takes him out of his physical comfort zone.... and gets excused the job.... 

It's about time we went back a couple of decades when people had more respect for each other and each other property, had a slipper or board rubber thrown at them for mis-behaving in class to give them the understanding of keeping right and have a fear of the law....and leave school to work, not sit about doing drugs, drinking and having half a dozen kids to make sure the state looks after them..... i think this sums it up

51904358_2247372648860568_5697083361466515456_n.thumb.jpg.f09199d6b5bd2e881335104212472412.jpg

couldn't agree more Paul, I often wonder what the older generation think of our society today. These were people who fought for their country and also worked hard to build a better world in which to live and bring up their families, and now like you say, we live in a country where some families will never have worked for several generations, living off the state and contributing nothing to society. Crime rates are steadily rising, as these youths have too much time on their hands and find it much easier to slip into criminal activities than to get a job.

A few years ago we had some nice lads try to steal our quad bike. Usually it is securely locked and chained in a building, but it was lambing time and due to needing the shed for pens it was in the hayshed, but blocked in with a tractor. It later transpired that they had come and had a look around a few nights earlier, spotted the bike, then returned on the Saturday night with a key for the tractor. Luckily, it was a relatively calm night and I was woken at about 2am by the tractor being started. I went outside (remembering to take the pick shaft that i keep at the back door) but as i opened the door there was a shout and they took off. The ignition barrel of the bike had been punched out, and it was hot wired ready to go just as soon as they'd moved the tractor. Luckily I got out before they managed to get away with it, but it still cost me over £100 for a new ignition. As the police said, if they put as much effort into a job they would do well for themselves......

Paul....you hit the nail on the head there buddy.. Youngsters are outa control everywhere.. I just wonder what kind of world my 2 little daughters will be living in down the line . It scares me just to think ..

22 hours ago, 844john said:

couldn't agree more Paul, I often wonder what the older generation think of our society today. These were people who fought for their country and also worked hard to build a better world in which to live and bring up their families, and now like you say, we live in a country where some families will never have worked for several generations, living off the state and contributing nothing to society. Crime rates are steadily rising, as these youths have too much time on their hands and find it much easier to slip into criminal activities than to get a job.

A few years ago we had some nice lads try to steal our quad bike. Usually it is securely locked and chained in a building, but it was lambing time and due to needing the shed for pens it was in the hayshed, but blocked in with a tractor. It later transpired that they had come and had a look around a few nights earlier, spotted the bike, then returned on the Saturday night with a key for the tractor. Luckily, it was a relatively calm night and I was woken at about 2am by the tractor being started. I went outside (remembering to take the pick shaft that i keep at the back door) but as i opened the door there was a shout and they took off. The ignition barrel of the bike had been punched out, and it was hot wired ready to go just as soon as they'd moved the tractor. Luckily I got out before they managed to get away with it, but it still cost me over £100 for a new ignition. As the police said, if they put as much effort into a job they would do well for themselves......

Too true John, i think i good few of older generation will be saddened to see how society in general has turned out, not just with the youths but also those in positions trying to guide the mindset of the them. Some things have got too far and some how need dragging back into line.... a bit like the PC brigade changing the black sheep to rainbow sheep, obviously the PC brigade have never been on a sheep farm and seen one with their own eyes or even on a Brewery tour down at Masham for a pint or two..... 

Fair enough there's always been the odd dodgy character about in the past, but some of the youth of today see it as a way of life......

5 hours ago, justy 46 said:

Paul....you hit the nail on the head there buddy.. Youngsters are outa control everywhere.. I just wonder what kind of world my 2 little daughters will be living in down the line . It scares me just to think ..

Cheers Justin, that will be a sobering thought of what lies ahead in years to come when you see how times have changed over our generation, but look at it another way, yourself and your wife will pass on to your daughters the way you were brought up through childhood, with family values, much the same as most folk our age and older were brought up,  i think it's more peer pressure to do things now to be seen to be "in with the crowd"  as that's what they do.... so we must do that too. 

Archived