John Deere 730

7 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

Whats the width of the thing on the front wheels alistair? To be honest it does look more than 10 ft from that pic, it  does stick out past the wheels . But if your drawing is to scale , and looks wrong it prob is going by any brochure info your using . Your also In the position where that pic could have a newer header on it , added a few years later . As headers kept getting bigger every year in those days , still do now i guess . Does the brouchure list anything in it?  When you get to stuff this old its hellish hard to be sure whats original on them pics wise when you hunt the web, and very few will exist any more as well

Thanks Sean

im sure it’s 12 foot. 10 would look tiny. It’s just that my drawing using a 12 foot dimensions makes header stick out well beyond the wheels. Trouble is, like you say haven’t got a real one, and brochure dimensions are so crude there is no way of knowing where they are measured to and from plus cab is a uk thing not in any brochures that I have seen. 

I think my drawing looks about to scale otherwise but just a bit perplexed by the header. 

Only widths I really know of Combine are total, but unsure if that’s track width, body width or to an outer extremity such as steps. Also know drum width, but that’s it!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jd’s are a bit weird at times ,the 975 i did was a real pig to find decent info on, and thats a bit newer even the real one i found had a newer header on it. the thing to remember is, thats an old combine, in those days 10ft would have been huge ,it may pay to build it to what looks right on the eye  rather than to true scale width wise ,so it sits better to your personal view, as i said if it looks wrong it is, but the opposite works as well ,  if it looks right ,then stick with it, even if its out slightly scale wise  to the real deal .even more so if your limited on the machines dimensions. the header may be true, your machine is out 

4 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

jd’s are a bit weird at times ,the 975 i did was a real pig to find decent info on, and thats a bit newer even the real one i found had a newer header on it. the thing to remember is, thats an old combine, in those days 10ft would have been huge ,it may pay to build it to what looks right on the eye  rather than to true scale width wise ,so it sits better to your personal view, as i said if it looks wrong it is, but the opposite works as well ,  if it looks right ,then stick with it, even if its out slightly scale wise  to the real deal .even more so if your limited on the machines dimensions. the header may be true, your machine is out 

Yes I was thinking my total widths might be out, but in my opinion it doesn’t look wrong, unless of course I’m at a completely different scale!  I’ll have a fiddle tonight ! 

one thing i did learn from my uncle thinking about it,was,the max width in most brochures is the normally the outer edge of the widest tyres, so fronts on a combine,rears on a tractor, they didn't normally inc any parts ,unless they were fixed overhangs, steps used to lift up and fold, so wouldnt have counted. something to do with gate widths ect in the past .

Thanks Sean, had a bit more of a fiddle this evening and I’m happier, it’s funny how a combinations of maybe a few errors in different places can add up, and you also have to be so careful with photos and the way they can lie to you regarding perspective. So important to get the drawing stage right to avoid wasted time and materials later on!

Little bit more progress, I have the basic cab cut out too, so haven’t been quite as slow as the pictures would indicate! I’m just a bit stuck on what the near side of the cab looked like, I can’t find a pic and so  can only go on what I can see through the windows of the offside photo. Might just have to make a bit of an educated guess, unless anyone can help?.....

7F7705C1-A708-4659-BB05-2D08466F6E53.jpeg

5E14E6B6-D0B7-49B2-A92D-95644B124F2E.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/26/2020 at 3:21 PM, Cheshire Farm Models said:

You dont give yourself enough credit mate! The skills you've picked up and put into full use are amazing. Well done. 

Hey Sam, long time no see. Thank you! Would like to have a bit more of a go at it shortly. You on with much at the moment ? 

9 hours ago, alf aphid said:

Hey Sam, long time no see. Thank you! Would like to have a bit more of a go at it shortly. You on with much at the moment ? 

I cant keep away too long, theres too much interesting stuff going on ! This build is amazing. I cant wait to see what your next steps are. I'm on with a few Griffiths/Marston silage and grain trailers. A special trailer build for Martin and an Mc1 cab for a beautiful mini agripassion John Deere 1640. Amongst that I'm try to do the odd bit on my self propelled Reco Sf 7000 project! 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Cheshire Farm Models said:

Lovely work as always mate. Have you a soft spot for the iconic Lotus Carlton? 

Ha ha thanks Sam. No more progress tonight, got some bloody cold coming!

Yes on the Carlton front, had loads of carltons and senators over the years, and the climax was the lotus Carlton, I think mine is third from middle at front. Flogged it a couple of years ago though :(

Archived