Universal Hobbies DB 1490 4x4

Just got round to unboxing my UH 1490 4x4. For a £50 model the 3 point hitch is a joke, completely misaligned and therefore seized. Drawbar the same. Off course a mirror fell off but you can live with that, much like the real thing. Can also see why Case had complaints about the headlight position when the weights half obscure them. Other than that I like it! Will just have to get the rear wheels off and strip the 3 point. Probably make a decent drawbar so I've got more choice on drawn equipment.20190707_203212.thumb.jpg.ae93d8326e7a52fa1fd8f579a24ddac0.jpg20190707_203240.thumb.jpg.a5956f20ef39a06dab492d948364a074.jpg20190707_203600.thumb.jpg.65ead0ab47dcb629573753c4832edafb.jpg

interesting, i just had a look at mine after seeing this, and whilst the rear linkage doesn't appear seized, i can move them , one does move the other side ,however the 2 arms are certainly not in line, what i can not tell without removing it from the base is if its the wire tie thats holding the model down thats causing it as it does look  to be very tight to the  arm linking the linkage  and the top lift arm part ,sorry its proper names gone right out of my head, i mean this one . its also that tight it seems to have bent the actual linkage arm that side ,which may also be part of the problem 

B4A6490A-950A-46DC-8776-31D0352C9265.jpeg

Makes you wonder if the process of wiring them to the base is causing a problem, not a lot of clearance in there. Looking from the back there is slight movement in the left arm but the right is solid as though it has gone past top dead centre not to return. Biggest problem is  finding small enough screwdriver, don't think adjustable spanner is an option here.

Most David Browns I recall from my childhood had a 4lb lump hammer and a vice grip in the tool box. Fixed everything that went wrong with them.

Also, very disappointed that they got the 14x34 wheel wrong as well as the 13.6x38 wheel on the 2wd.

I suppose there is always the option of swapping on the wheels that get taken off the Britains 1412 when you are making it correct by putting on Scaledown Ford 7000 wheels..

Grrrrrrrr!

When UH are using screws on the base ..they have them too tight & you can end up rounding the tiny little heads with your little  Philips screw driver ..i think it's probably happened to every collecter here at some stage...now they are wiring them down to the bases & damaging the model in the process.. Quality control in China needs to wake up it seems !! You pay enough these days for these models..no one should end up with one damaged due to circumstances beyond our control.. 

I still can't understand why manufacturers insist on screwing and tieing models to bases, for me Wiking and Siku have the best methods of restraining a model in it's packaging, and they can be removed and put back in seconds without damaging anything

1 hour ago, 844john said:

I still can't understand why manufacturers insist on screwing and tieing models to bases, for me Wiking and Siku have the best methods of restraining a model in it's packaging, and they can be removed and put back in seconds without damaging anything

Uh  will just say its more eco friendly john agree though the early uh polly packing , 3 bits of tape holding the half's together was way better , to be honest the boxes took less damage as well as it held them out, most now are bent in around the window area now and the corners get damaged, dont recall that  on the early ones either

3 hours ago, 844john said:

Here here

Archived