Griffiths 8 ton grain trailer.

How we all doing ? 

Thought I'd share this griffiths 8 ton grain trailer I made for a customer. Proved to be very fiddly but worth it, trailers seem to be a very popular request these days and I've made a good number of various makes to date.  However I am very pleased for once as I'm usually very judgey of my own work. 

The rams are fully functional which was a real head scratcher how to get one to stop when its completed its stage and allow the other one to continue lifting. But we got there. Also added some chassis detailing with the axles and handbrake etc. The axle itself all works independently, handy for the customer as he using this for diorama work. So this will follow the contours of the ground nicely. 

I really am considering making a few silage versions as these trailers originally came from Clywd Wrexham about a 15 minute drive from me, so I've used my fair share of them. After that I think (stand to be corrected) Marston came along and took over, but I'm not sure at all how the story goes after them being Griffiths.

Hope you all like. 

20200211_103549.jpg

20200211_103042.jpg

20200211_103535.jpg

20200211_103525.jpg

20200211_103414.jpg

20200211_103356.jpg

20200211_103053.jpg

20200211_103106.jpg

20200211_103349.jpg

20200211_103459.jpg

7 minutes ago, 844john said:

very nice Sam, I like that a lot!

Cheers John glad you like it. As I say very tempted to do a silage one now. Slightly bigger 10 tonner like the one I used. Because I actually enjoyed building this one. My Mrs even commented how she didnt hear me swear once :D 

2 minutes ago, Cheshire Farm Models said:

Cheers John glad you like it. As I say very tempted to do a silage one now. Slightly bigger 10 tonner like the one I used. Because I actually enjoyed building this one. My Mrs even commented how she didnt hear me swear once :D 

Go on Sam, you know you want to! Funnily enough, my wife never complains about any bad language whilst working on my models either....then again, I am about 20 yards away in my shed!:D

24 minutes ago, mb86 said:

Brilliant build Sam. Love the extra detail on the chassis. 

Cheers mate was well worth doing if you have OCD like me :D Haha. 

I've just finished your spreader I'll PM you some pics of it with the two different wheels soon mate let you decide what ones are going on it mate. That's hurt my head more than this trailer L o L 

6 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

looking good mate surprised you didn't go for the pick up tools for the multi stage rams sam, lot easier and stronger than plastirod ect,which i guess you used? once you do a couple it actually become very easy to do, 

Thanks Sean nice to hear off you mate, if I'm honest I wasnt sure If I could get any small enough to look realistic so I made my own, but yes your right would of been sturdier. Although this is actually pretty good and you dont have to pull as hard to lift the body up like you do with pick up tools, but if you can point me in the right direction to getting small enough pick up tools I'll use them next time as they did the job perfect on my henton build. 

47 minutes ago, trigger82 said:

That is just lovely looking are you going to make more of them I buy one of you if you are . 

20 minutes ago, Ferret90 said:

Stunning job Sam :wub:

Thank you two I really appreciate the kind words as I've always said makes it worthwhile hearing your feedback.

i use these ones sam, you can get them a lot cheaper, usually i pay 99p each ,just the first i found, the 1st 3 stages of these are spot on,  used on my pettit and for the mf 80 rams (1st 2 stages) plus a load of other bits, if you want to paint the outer one then all i do is give the chrome a light sand over, always paint with the rams all in the closed position, that way you get a bit of paint on the top of each,like real ones .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLUESPOT-MAGNETIC-PICK-UP-TOOL/324055067544?hash=item4b732feb98:g:d-QAAOSwBJxeLrlC

2 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

i use these ones sam, you can get them a lot cheaper, usually i pay 99p each ,just the first i found, the 1st 3 stages of these are spot on,  used on my pettit and for the mf 80 rams (1st 2 stages) plus a load of other bits, if you want to paint the outer one then all i do is give the chrome a light sand over, always paint with the rams all in the closed position, that way you get a bit of paint on the top of each,like real ones .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLUESPOT-MAGNETIC-PICK-UP-TOOL/324055067544?hash=item4b732feb98:g:d-QAAOSwBJxeLrlC

Thanks ever so much mate. They sound ideal I'll order a few ones and hunt about for the 99p options L o L. I seem to remember them being a pain though I'm sure little brass inserts fell out of the last one I did ? I take it they stiffen it up to allow them to hold weight and you just cut each one down to desired length and then reassemble with them little brass tab things. 

you will need to cut them down lenght wise by half, just grip the end with the little dimple in it with some long nose pliers, and dremel the other end off,that way you keep the shape, then pop back into place and re insert the section, allows you to get a longer stroke whilst keeping the whole cylinder in length, i tend to cut the inner one to lenght first, then work backwards or thin to fat size wise ,to cut the outer layers i just roll a sharpe knife blade on them, few full rotations and then just snap them. if i had time i would do a video, but i just dont have time right now .but its easier than it sounds

Lovely Sam, funnily enough just the other night I started to build the 7 tonne version of this trailer. There are a few angles and details on these ones that make for slightly more tricky building. I’m only really just getting started, but I can see a few headaches .....

and yes you are right AS group took them over then demised themselves several years later 

9 hours ago, alf aphid said:

Lovely Sam, funnily enough just the other night I started to build the 7 tonne version of this trailer. There are a few angles and details on these ones that make for slightly more tricky building. I’m only really just getting started, but I can see a few headaches .....

and yes you are right AS group took them over then demised themselves several years later 

Cheers alf mate, honestly after seeing the job you made on the mf 200 I think you'll be fine it was surprisingly nice to build, only thing I found harder was probably the braces going horizontally on the body to actually look correct it takes some planning 

4 minutes ago, Cheshire Farm Models said:

Thank you mate, on with the 10 ton silage version today. John's twisted my arm :D

I've got a half built 8 ton marston,started back in august,will try and push on with it know I've seen yours,Im using cut down aerials off small radios for the rams,I ordered some pick up tools and they were too big in diameter.

2 minutes ago, Fenside MF said:

I've got a half built 8 ton marston,started back in august,will try and push on with it know I've seen yours,Im using cut down aerials off small radios for the rams,I ordered some pick up tools and they were too big in diameter.

They can be badged as a Marston, Griffiths and a Mf 700 if that's of any interest mate as there all the same. Have a Mf 700 brochure here if you want to have some dimensions off me and pics as they will be exactly the same as the trailer your making. 

I am gonna purchase the pick up tool ones Shaun suggested in the link above as I asked the seller for the dimensions and there near enough perfect. I have been stung like yourself though and ordered loads of pick up tools and when they arrived they weren't fit for anything 1/32 scale. My fault entirely. 

3 minutes ago, Cheshire Farm Models said:

They can be badged as a Marston, Griffiths and a Mf 700 if that's of any interest mate as there all the same. Have a Mf 700 brochure here if you want to have some dimensions off me and pics as they will be exactly the same as the trailer your making. 

I am gonna purchase the pick up tool ones Shaun suggested in the link above as I asked the seller for the dimensions and there near enough perfect. I have been stung like yourself though and ordered loads of pick up tools and when they arrived they weren't fit for anything 1/32 scale. My fault entirely. 

Thanks for offering Sam but I've got the mf brochures for sizes,just need the will power to finish started builds off :lol:

Archived