1/32 County 764 Highland skidder scratch build

This is definately the future of model building, and what a work you have done so far! Getting everything drawn must have taken a bit of time I suppose. But indeed a great start and a great 1:1 model to be building!

I agree, this looks like it's going to be an amazing build. With regards to your question James, I think it depends on what you want from a model. If your after a perfect representation of the real thing, there is no doubt in my mind that this is the way forward. However, for me, I can't help but think that, from the perspective of someone who enjoys making models, this would feel more like assembling a model kit than setting to with some styrene and a knife and making your own personal model. I have to admit that I'm in awe of the quality and accuracy that 3D printing can produce, and also the people who produce the drawings,(being a major technophobe!:D), but there are a lot of very talented builders out there and i still think and hope there will always be a place for a craft knife and a cutting mat 

Edited by 844john
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 844john said:

I agree, this looks like it's going to be an amazing build. With regards to your question James, I think it depends on what you want from a model. If your after a perfect representation of the real thing, there is no doubt in my mind that this is the way forward. However, for me, I can't help but think that, from the perspective of someone who enjoys making models, this would feel more like assembling a model kit than setting to with some styrene and a knife and making your own personal model. I have to admit that I'm in awe of the quality and accuracy that 3D printing can produce, and also the people who produce the drawings,(being a major technophobe!:D), but there are a lot of very talented builders out there and i still think and hope there will always be a place for a craft knife and a cutting mat 

The first thing with 3d modelling on cad is the time.  I've been at this in my spare time for about 3 years now, measuring a real machine and drawing all the parts, so unless you're doing this full time its certainly not a quick process, far quicker to get out some styrene and start building something, so there is that drawback to it.  I want to build a few other County's, so the advantage is I can use the parts on the cad for other models.

Even when modelled and 3d printed, there is still a lot of traditional model building required to complete a model.  A lot of people hand make a master part out of styrene and then cast in resin, using 3d to create the master means you can get a lot more, more accurate detail, but you still end up with a resin casting.

Another point to remember is that although you could just 3d print the complete model, I don't think it would actually be a very nice thing, and incredibly delicate.  Some parts on this model I won't be 3d printing, because they are far better made from a bit of styrene or brass.  One of the problems with 3d printing is that if you print something thin, it will tend to warp, and is very easy to break, whereas if you used styrene it would just bend.

My personal approach to this is to use 3d printing where it is required, such as masters for castings, tiny detail parts, etc, but if I was to build say a grain trailer, then I think you'd be better with some styrene or brass, maybe use a 3d print to create a master for the mould for the tyres.

I think 3d printing certainly has its place, and is the way forward, but its not going to replace traditional model building completely.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
14 hours ago, ginjaninja95 said:

Out of interest have you drawings or is it off pics? The lever of detail rival's manufactures drawings 

The basic dimensions off sales literature, etc, then hours measuring actual machines, and filling in the gaps from photos.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After failing to source suitable lights to use on my models I decided to have a go at making some myself.  Pretty pleased with how these turned out.  Had trouble getting the camera to get a decent photo.

20240217_233921.jpg

Edited by Fang
  • Like 3

Impressive stuff Andy, I've always had trouble with clear resin curing, but then I've always bought the cheapest one!

I saw mention elsewhere of putting a reflective surface behind? I think something like tinfoil or aluminium tape may work well, however silver paint has always looked abit dull when I've had a clear part up against it. Photos show headlight recess painted silver then the resin light in place, might have been more the poor quality of the resin though.

IMG_20170926_220212.thumb.jpg.e23526233d053c423f2aa8168cbd0673.jpg.7447fc684721a814a628f966840b9ade.jpg

IMG_20170927_150514.thumb.jpg.dfcb484d373a56b0f4dcc32c4b164030.jpg.629a60b8709a012335ce497bd7810592.jpg

• Like 2