Decals - Releasing the secrets...

Stabliofarmer

Question

John very kindly asked me about how I do decals recently, and rather than a half hearted reply I thought I'd put together a full guide that anyone on the forum may find useful, so here it is.

To start with I'll say that there are probably better, simpler, faster methods out there, particularly if you can shell out the cash for some of the fancy graphics packages. Also as I get more use to using Inkscape I get the feeling the jobs of paint.net and publisher can be combined in that single free program. But anyway, this is what I do.

I'll start with what I use on the computer side to draw up decals as this is the bit people keep fairly secret. 

Software (the different computer programs)

• An internet browser (Chrome)
  • Microsoft Publisher (Word or Google docs will do the same job
  • Paint.net (this is free to download online)

The first start point is to get the relevant info to draw up the decals. I'll focus on a tractor bonnet decal as I imagine this is most relevant to forum users, and is much simpler to describe than say a whole truck livery.

My first port of call is a google search. For example 'ford tractor bonnet sticker'.

113826341_Decal1.thumb.JPG.1389da33824d34b427226a86c0827ebb.JPG

This may throw up exactly what you're after, in this case if I want to decal a 7610 then it's simply copy and paste the image and resize to print (explained later). This isn't always going to be the case though, sometimes you can get close. In this case any of the Agri Parts UK photos would be useful, if it wasn't for those pesky water marks! I'll try and explain how that can be minimised/ removed. In other cases they simply don't exist but we can get the info we need from something close to make exactly what we want. I'll come to that after the waterslide removal.

Waterslide removal. 

*This process can also be used to crisp up a real photo, so if you have access to the real machine photograph the decal as square on as possible, and import your photo into paint.net and follow the same process. Particularly useful if real machine decals are faded or slightly damaged.

This is where paint.net comes in handy. A very similar interface to MS Paint that comes pre-downloaded on Windows computer it is just advanced enough to handle the task we need it for.

So I start by pasting the image from google into paint.net (copy and paste it, or save the image and import).

Then the tools we are using are the colour picker, paint bucket, and tolerance bar. Use the colour picker to select the closest colour part to an individual colour, once selected use the paint bucket to fill that area. The paint bucket will turn everything close to the colour you tap on into the colour loaded in your paint bucket. The tolerance bar controls how close the colour needs to be. If your whole page turns one colour the tolerance is too low, if only a few pixels change colour the tolerance is too high.

The ford 7810 photo as copied into paint.net

2046448657_Decal2.thumb.JPG.dbfa0f77cc1138fb66d51b8734c43ca1.JPG

And after the process of colour picking, paint bucketing and repeating. Tolerances used ranged from 25% to 50% for this task. The black and white where selected from the colour pallet rather than using the colour picking tool to give sharper colour. The red lines haven't been touched here. I would use the line tool to draw a new line over the original rather than try to paint bucket a fine line.

740094272_Decal3.thumb.JPG.eb35ad78a12b381c89a6402bde47e538.JPG

The tools used and where to find them.

With this complete skip to the resize step further on.

837417009_Decal4.thumb.JPG.5b9d879f4907cd6a5c37375ddb634dd6.JPG

If you where unfortunate there would be nothing close enough to use, say if I wanted a 7710 for example (no idea if one exists but it keeps with the theme).

Here we have to draw up the decal. This can involve various tasks. If I wanted a 7710 decal when in paint.net I can use the select tool to copy the 7 and paste it over the 8. If you don't have a good start point I use publisher and an online font finder. To explain this I'm switching to a recent truck build and moving over to MS Publisher although all the features I use are available in Word or PowerPoint, I use publisher because I'm familiar with it and well, this is the sort of stuff it's designed to do.

Publisher allows you to draw a variety of shapes and set them to a colour (it even has a colour pick tool like paint.net). This is used to draw up any background shapes, so the black and red in the ford decal. The font is trickier. I use a font finder site such as https://www.fontsquirrel.com/matcherator and copy an image of the type of font I want to use. It will return either the exact font or something similar. Then hopefully you can download the font, some are free immediately, some you can dig around on the internet and find a free version, some you can't get hold of. Depending on frequency of use you may see it as viable to buy the font, but this is unlikely and you'll mostly settle for something close. A quick google will guide you through the process of downloading a font.

Once downloaded you can use the font exactly as you would any other font already on your computer. Either type in a text box, or create a piece of 'word art' in your chosen font. I would recommend the later as you get a much more manoeuvrable item than a text box.

In the below example both versions of MacTaggart are downloaded fonts, then made into word art, with one colour lined up over the other to create the shadow effect. The MacTaggart 73 is drawn up using varius shapes and colours laid on top of each other, once finished I highlight them all, right click, group, then right click again, save as picture, import the picture and it can be resized without distorting).

2077505097_JohnDecalPhoto.thumb.JPG.daab8a54f6c3099bd9c273e4eb84b75a.JPG

That's all I know about drawing decals, well sort of, I've also done things like draw round cab shapes with greaseproof paper, scanned that into the computer, resized and drawn round it to determine fancy liveries on a truck panel for example, but thats going abit ott for now).

Next up is re-sizing.

6 answers to this question

Resizing via publisher

So for this I'll explain via the following photo of a cow. This is as copied form paint.net after touching up the background. However its clearly too large compared with the other decals. To resize I start by cropping the image to a section that I know the size I want it. In this case I know I want the golden circle to be 2.5cm wide.

1492371122_Decal6.thumb.JPG.00cf58699b92b96c8fe948891a7bd659.JPG

So I right click and select the crop tool, I then drag the crop from either side until its at the edge of the circle. 

902035810_Decal7.thumb.JPG.ab39a005378db209a0a49b312efd9593.JPG

You can see the cropped out parts of the photo, the lighter blue to either side, clicking away from the photo will stop the crop function. The image is now ready to resize.

873429541_Decal8.thumb.JPG.d60ddb9f0bc87ae98da0bbc35fa881af.JPG

Select the image and at the top of the page select the 'format' tab, in the toolbar at the top you can now see 'size', at the far right. I'm simply going to change width from 9.96cm to 2.5cm...

1751399873_Decal9.thumb.JPG.4ad1acaa6ea49073665b50df7e41ca09.JPG

And voila, a 2.5cm circle, I know go back to crop and pull the edges out to retrieve the blue border I previously cropped out. Obviously this is a fairly simple shape but the crop tool allows more complex shapes to be resized. Taking a Ford bonnet decal as an example again you would crop vertically to either red line, and then resize so that the image is the height of the decal (5mm or similar) then uncrop the image and the full decal set will have been resized.

You can now move to printing an making the decals, which I'll move you onto a YouTube video for as it's easier than me explaining, you'll find it easier to understand, and to be honest its the part of the process I have most bother with, there's something I get wrong, but I'm not sure what, that produces very inconsistent results when it comes to applying the decals and their longevity. 

This is the best video I have found related to model vehicles, in it he shows how he draws his decals. He's lucky enough to a)have and b)know how to use, the very expensive adobe graphics software packages. What I demonstrate above is the 'student spec' version! He also then shows how to print, seal and use them while providing a nice level of detail explaining not just how, but why you're doing the steps.

I hope this helps, I'll admit its abit mindboggling, and I am probably making alot of work for myself, but it works for me so I'll stick to it for the time being. Any queries just ask!

Thanks again James for taking the time to produce that, I'm sure it's going to prove very useful to a number of people. As I said earlier, I don't understand a word of it yet, but then I don't need to as we have a fourteen year old, so she can explain it all to me in words that i do understand, as long as she has the patience! To be fair, it's not the first time we've made use of our kids tech skills.....we even got them to set up the parental controls for us when they first got a computer!:D

Archived