Opinion on Scaledown models, how difficult are they?

Jack390

Question

23 answers to this question

They are very straightforward to build. I recommend them highly.

Getting the rear axle to be exactly 90 degrees to the line down the middle of the bonnet is probably the most challenging thing (for me anyway).

I've built the MF65, Ford 6x 5000 and these Fordson Major variants

20181218_222106.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have built a few in the past ,they are ok if you take you time and not expect to build it after tea one night, deciding how far to build before stopping and spraying/hand painting is the problem as for example mudguards might be different colour ,even if same colour its hard to paint the rest with them on ,same with bonnets . you should be ok with hedge cutter as all same colour apart from the rams , like i said take you time check thing fit before applying clue and you will be ok    

• Like 2

The main difference is that you are working with metal instead of plastic, so a slightly different approach to preparation and how you use the glue. Nigel supplies a type of superglue that goes off slowly so you can make adjustments. Highly recommend that.

Getting the 3 point linkages together can be tricky and is probably the fiddliest bit. I've used wood glue on 3 point linkages a couple of times as it is more forgiving.

Planning the painting is another fiddly bit on multicolour models. The mudguards and footplates on the 6X are one piece, so have to be masked. I made the mistake of painting the grey first. With hindight I should have finished all the blue before going near the grey.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SPN said:

The main difference is that you are working with metal instead of plastic, so a slightly different approach to preparation and how you use the glue. Nigel supplies a type of superglue that goes off slowly so you can make adjustments. Highly recommend that.

Getting the 3 point linkages together can be tricky and is probably the fiddliest bit. I've used wood glue on 3 point linkages a couple of times as it is more forgiving.

Planning the painting is another fiddly bit on multicolour models. The mudguards and footplates on the 6X are one piece, so have to be masked. I made the mistake of painting the grey first. With hindight I should have finished all the blue before going near the grey.

Thanks for the information, the kits I’m interested in appear to be straightforward colour wise, with the hedge cutter being one colour. Cambridge rollers I can just paint the rings before assembly . I assume for the hedge cutter it comes supplied with decals?

• Like 1

Hi Jack

Just built the bomford trimmer over the last couple of days, it was fairly straight forward a bit fiddly getting the pins in and the rams, the hardest part was the flails but it was my first time building one and i found it alright once i got my head around the instructions

PXL_20221124_203914628.jpg.7089379739fcc590d4f1c0a7df4b3db3.thumb.jpg.ba39bef39fd38b5b82cccd6020950bbb.jpg 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Jack390 said:

Thanks for the response, are there any certain tools that you’d recommend using for the build or is it just a case of putting it together? 

All I used was a pair of pliers to put the pins in as they are a bit fiddly, and also you are supposed to use a vice to build the flails as they are individual but I put them on the bar and built them that way and glued solid so it wasn't too much of an issue

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anderson Agri said:

All I used was a pair of pliers to put the pins in as they are a bit fiddly, and also you are supposed to use a vice to build the flails as they are individual but I put them on the bar and built them that way and glued solid so it wasn't too much of an issue

Thanks for that 👍

Ok I will take yours and Nigel’s word for it 👍

presumably squeeze either side too? Also would I need to counter sink the holes throughout this build as the rollers I made suggested that I do that, but these don’t? Sorry for all the questions