What's your latest General Buy 2023

10 hours ago, James Joe Dewar said:

You'll be looking for Isopryl Alcohla 99.9% pureLoads of folk selling that on E-bay, at various prices, I've been useing that for years for cleaning build plate etc , Best of luck on your new venture, PS, My Stepson had two PDP vans at his house on the same day, with stuff from the same shop, ??

Regards

Joe.

IPA Isopropyl Alcohol 99.9% PURE.jpg

Cheers  joe, thinking i may go washable resin like james uses as thats just tap water then so free 

• Like 1

I.m quite pleased with the results I get with my FDM printer useing appropriate settings and orientating the piece on the build plate so that the "shiney side" is always on top I can achieve very decent results, But very small pieces are near impossable, things like head lights and door handles and such, I would love a little resin printer to do those sort of things especially now I've learnt from  James about water soluble resin, so I'm keeping and eye on this Tiny crowd funded resin printer,

Regards

Joe,

Tiny Maker 3D printer.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, James Joe Dewar said:

Might be worth taking a look at a Torque amplifier / multiplier, brilliant tool, certainly beats the gas torch,

Regards

Joe.

That is certainly a good tool for undoing tight wheel nuts and things , my set of tools is for getting the broken studs/bolts out of the threaded holes without hopefully damaging the threads , using the above tool on very tight/corroded bolts or studs you would stand a chance of snapping them off easily but yes that is a good tool for certain things . Thanks for sharing   

• Like 2

Now then Smithy, no bother at all I'm pretty sure the extractor set will get you out of trouble should you need. Like you say good drills are the key but as daft as it sounds when extracting broken studs and bolts, a left hand drill bit is a bonus as it helps loosen as you drill... But only if you have a reverse on your drill to begin with ..... But getting in to the torque multiplier that Joe mentioned, yes they great at applying pressure for loosening tight fastenings.... And also for achieving greater torque accurately for instance if you needed 500ftlbs but your torque wrench will only do 250... Then a multiplier at a normal 5.1 ratio would get you to 500 off a 100ftlb setting and remain accurate as they just a gear system with little or no torque loss through the initial pre load.  AsJoe says they would apply a more steady pressure rather than a length is scaff pipe and a breaker bar but the tendancy to snap bolts off is a higher risk due to the lack of feel through the gearing of the multiplier that you can feel through a bar or a spanner....... A good soak in a diesel and parrafin mix and a bit of heat with steady pressure normally does the job without too many issues.......

• Thanks 3

• robbo unpinned this topic