What have you been doing or plan on doing today?

To true there, you could try your local Case IH dealer to see if they've got them ;)

I rang my local dealer (Cotswold Farm Machinery) and the rep there said he didn't know anything about the two new XL models but told me that he'd received about nine calls regarding them prior to mine! :-\

At work again just now thats one week done and a week to go before I get home.

Has been not too busy so far on nightshift again so makes the trip go quicker.

Hopefully before we go home in a weeks time we are due to get back a well that drilling have had to try and find some more oil so looks like a busy end to the trip.

Not much out of the ordinary this morning (school >:(:() but found some old photos this afternoon whilst sorting out an old writing cabinet. I had been told by my dad that his grandad used to have a hereford bull that sat like a dog but i didn't believe it. Found the pictures today and i had to concede defeat. I will hopefully upload them tomorrow, if i get a chance.

I'd love top see that Tommy  :D:)

Short day for me today. Wet and windy and a bit of a battle with sawdust blowing in my eyes so gave up at lunchtime and did a few errands, sort flowers for funeral tomorrow, wait for new mattress to be delivered etc. Now doing a spot of model making  ;)

I hope it all goes well tomorrow for you and the family Tris.... bloody horrible occasions... but on the plus side (if indeed there really is one.. perhaps 'on a mildly more positive note' would be a better way of putting it)... they do bring an element of closure I guess

Spot on Mark. I am strangely looking forward to it. Having seen Nanna so near to the end I am happy she passed away soon after. Tomorrow is the final part of that and the rest will be treasured memories which is something nice to hold on to and not the image I had with me a week or so ago.

Cheers buddy  :-*

Had a chap come around ours this morning to look at the damp wall.... Saw what he said he see's on a weekly basis - old houses with modern work done to them. The plaster is modern gypsum plaster where it should be lime based. All the internal walls we had done last year are thankfully ok but one outward facing wall was particularly bad so after he left we did as instructed and beat it all off. It was that bad it took minutes to deface a 2m x 4.5m wall!! The now exposed brick has already had done what we really didn't want to have done. . ..  It's been tanked with black bitumen. So any moisture finding it's way into the walls (as it should) has been trapped beneath the tanking, appearing in places causing the damp.

The joy of old houses!!

It is a joy though, I love it!  :)

Although I'm not looking forward to having to remove all the exterior paint with Nitromors come summer  ::)

At least break it up. It is interesting to see it though because it shows just how bad a 'solution' people think it is. Because it has trapped moisture in, the moisture has blown through all over the wall, mainly in the lime mortar joints. I'll get some pics up tomorrow when it's in natural light to show you. We need it to air naturally for two or three months before the bloke comes back to take moisture readings and assess the next coarse of action - if it's dry enough then hopefully straight in with the lime plaster.

Had a chap come around ours this morning to look at the damp wall.... Saw what he said he see's on a weekly basis - old houses with modern work done to them. The plaster is modern gypsum plaster where it should be lime based. All the internal walls we had done last year are thankfully ok but one outward facing wall was particularly bad so after he left we did as instructed and beat it all off. It was that bad it took minutes to deface a 2m x 4.5m wall!! The now exposed brick has already had done what we really didn't want to have done. . ..  It's been tanked with black bitumen. So any moisture finding it's way into the walls (as it should) has been trapped beneath the tanking, appearing in places causing the damp.

The joy of old houses!!

It is a joy though, I love it!  :)

Although I'm not looking forward to having to remove all the exterior paint with Nitromors come summer  ::)

wouldnt a pressure washer get the paint off tris,helluva lot easier and less messy,and quicker mate

High pressure steam is a possibility but not water as it poses the risk of washing the mortar out of the joints. Micro blasting (like we had done on the internal timbers) is another possibility but again, the mortar joints are at risk. The chap that came round reckoned as pain staking as it is, stripping the paint is the kindest way. Trouble is, when the evenings are light - I'm earning my money.

Sean. Mentioned to Traci she should be able to do a good 4 square metres next weekend and her short answer ended in 'off'. . ..  :laugh: :laugh:

sounds like a job for traci while we are at malvern buddy  ::):laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

preassure washer would work to paul, i know my brother uses a high pressure one for stripping paint on buildings at work if required, needs a big bin or water between to keep the flow right

used them at work sean for exactly that,would be so easier than nitromors

i bet she did mate  ;D ;D ;D ;D  good wire cup on a drill should speed the operation up on the paint removal, using that chemical stuff will cost you, i will ask my brother  if theres a cheaper option for you, hes been doing painting and decorating  22 odd years now so sure he knows of something good

having said that if its blown that well, it may surprise you and peel like steamed wall paper, seen that happen a few times down to damp

i bet she did mate  ;D ;D ;D ;D  good wire cup on a drill should speed the operation up on the paint removal, using that chemical stuff will cost you, i will ask my brother  if theres a cheaper option for you, hes been doing painting and decorating  22 odd years now so sure he knows of something good

having said that if its blown that well, it may surprise you and peel like steamed wall paper, seen that happen a few times down to damp

The paint which needs removing is on the outside, Sean. It's bitumen which needs removing on the inside - so no water or steam possible and a wire cup will bung up with the bitumen as it is oil based.

The paint which needs removing is on the outside, Sean. It's bitumen which needs removing on the inside - so no water or steam possible and a wire cup will bung up with the bitumen as it is oil based.

i ment the cup for the outside mate, know it would clog on the tar stuff, sure i have heard that derv will remove tar ,just apply with a rag and rubb off, they used to use it when removing the tar covering we had on the old lead cables at work, they had a tar/bitumen hessan wrap on them, would get rid of the worst of it for you, would prob smell no worse than the chemicasl stuff ???

He did say petrol for the inside job actually but I thought best not to say that!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I know it's a sod to get off, don't know if there are even any solutions that can be applied to it to be honest.

Yeah a wire cup outside may be a thought, then clean up the worst of whats left with Nitromors. It will probably be lime washed after to get it back to how it should be. Depends what it looks like with one natural brick wall and one white pebble dashed wall really.

just dont light the fire to dry it out quicker if you use unleaded ;D ;D ;D  or it may be drier than required, pertrol would evaporate as such once used so i doubt much would be left on the wall ,

as for outside, depending on how many layers of paint are already on, once you get a hole it may well peel of like wallpaper, just a good wide paint scrape under it , i did strip a exterior wall like that at my nans old farm with my brother, had damp under it seeing as it was the north facing one, it took the worst of the weather  and bar a few small bits which required the cup, it came of easier than we thought