What have you been doing or plan on doing today?

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:13 PM, mb86 said:

Had some menacing rumbles of thunder overhead but only a couple of showers so far tonight, it's forecast rain for the next 3 days but not holding my breath, mind the cows maybe know better as they didn't want to go back out to the field after milking tonight and were all stood in the cubicles so gave them some fresh sand incase they wanted to stay in all night, if they are still in later I'll drop them a bale in to munch on. 

I had 20mm on Friday night/Saturday morning and a fantastic lightning show  then rest of Saturday was dry ,sunday we had 4mm with sunshine then Monday thunder/lightning and 14mm of rain in morning sunshine in afternoon and at 7am this morning some more thunder lightning and rain not looked in rain gauge as yet  

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:50 AM, robbo said:

Just shows how far plant breeding and selection has come on since I was last combining (1981). Barley yields were about 1.5 tonnes to the acre and a good yield of wheat was 3 tonnes, if you were lucky.

I remember the first wheat that could make the magic 3 tonne mark, Maris Huntsman which was a feed crop and not good enough for bread making.

There is still a little bit of Maris Huntsman grow for the straw as it is used for thatching , cant remember which newer wheats name but it has Huntsman as one of its parents. Back in its day a lot of it was bagged up into these sort of bags and I used to earn a bit of pocket money moving them on a sack barrow     

20180729_192817.jpg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, JEP said:

How's the harvest going Smithy, are you into the wheat? 

Hi John ,yes we are into the wheat some of it is ok some is best not to talk about . we would not have had a lot left to cut if I could have had a long day cutting on Friday before the rains came , I was aware of a little tear in the rubber seal on the front of the grain pan directly under the drum which I think was caused by a lifter used on the barley snapping of and going into the drum where one bit ended up in stone trap found a bit stuck in the retaining curtain above straw walkers and rest must have gone out the back ,well because it was only a little tear and got other bits of seal over the top of it I ignored it to start with but on inspection Friday morning I made the decision to take of the complete front of combine and replace it , and because the part I needed was at APH Combines up at Peterborough which is about a 5hr round trip for me but I was aware of a mate that was up that way delivering other stuff so I got in touch with him and he picked up parts and brought them back to me so I was cutting again that evening till the rain stopped play not to worried by the wet as moisture was about 10% so later on this week it might be 14% so it weighs a bit more and we are still only (just) in July    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cheers for the update Smithy, same here, some poor stuff - especially the spring crops, which went in very late anyway (as it was so wet early on, other crops such as potatoes hadn't all been lifted until April/May) then from the spring cereal going in the ground - upto last week, virtually no rain at all. Some of spring stuff it is so poor, a few farms are looking at whole cropping, as it's not worth combining. 

The joys of farming........ :unsure:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JEP said:

Great catch up with Mr Smith, and another enjoyable day in the company of Smithy and Julie. 

Last day of harvest, (and a very impressive looking/clean field of wheat l may add!) 

DSC_0606.JPG

DSC_0604.JPG

DSC_0607.JPG

DSC_0605.JPG

Thanks John really good to have got you down this way for the harvest as we have been talking about it for last 2or 3 years now  , bit of a rush in the end but really me and Julie loved you company over a fantastic meal last night Thanks Again

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

over last few months myself and a good mate have been meeting up at the farm to sort/clear out part of my shed that I just used to bung everything into had lots of spare parts for tractors and machines that left the farm years ago so we have been entering them in a few collective farm sale that have been happening over last few weeks still got more to sort later on in the year but the part we have done is now big enough to house my CAT:)   

20180731_183119.jpg

20180731_183139.jpg

• Like 3

As it was wet last Saturday my mate came up and we laid a chipboard floor over the top of existing floor ,hung on the wall some second hand kitchen cupboards and placed some filling cabinets on other wall as I am going to store my farm machinery operators manuals , spraying records , and other farm related paperwork in them together with my brochures that I have collected , still a bit to finish of in there but got to get farm work done first , think the cat likes being in there as I fitted it a cat flap the other day so it can wander in and out when it likes       

20180731_183008.jpg

20180731_183018.jpg

20180731_183041.jpg

20180731_183057.jpg

20180801_195526.jpg

• Like 7

Im not a religious person particularly but I did listen to an article last September claiming we had just entered the Biblical  7 year Tribulation:wacko:.....   What struck me most was that severe pestilence and a huge famine would hit the nations of the earth in the first 3 years of the cycle!  And looking at the extreme weather around the world this year and its impact on plantings and harvesting and crop quality with no let up insight, you could be forgiven for believing the scriptural prophecy might be coming true!!  I definitely see some countries banning grain exports before too much longer as Russia did a few years back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On Saturday myself and the wife and my mate that live in the log cabin that I helped to build just a few 100 meters away from my farm bailed and carted and stacked in the shed approximately 1000 small bales I had the 4240 and grab in the field to load my trailer my mate was on JCB and wife on McCormick and trailer  so we could take to part loads back to farm only did part loads then we did not have to rope them on as we cut across the field back to farm where my mate reached in shed as far as he could then me and wife stacked by hand , Mr Prescott was on hand for a little while and he did climb up on stack to help stack , I did say get down JEP but he insisted on helping thanks John   

20180804_141920.jpg

20180804_141928.jpg

20180804_142002.jpg

20180804_142244.jpg

20180804_143246.jpg

20180804_143305.jpg

20180804_143411.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 4:51 PM, Stabliofarmer said:

Been working in this for the past few weeks, repaint on a 4" Freelance Traction Engine, quite pleased with the outcome, but alot more work than 1/32!

Before

IMG_20160717_090651.thumb.jpg.79293fc7c98a043a9910c92b9568c553.jpg

After

IMG_20180807_121109.thumb.jpg.d43f2be56e58b46940116705da7be8c7.jpg

IMG_20180807_121344.thumb.jpg.53be4f9bda67e85eadc6f4b40eaeb19a.jpg

You have done a lovely job there , I don't now a lot about these engines but you have changed the colour scheme do you prefer the green or do the colours mean something like the steam railway engines when the big 4 of them was running  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, smithy said:

You have done a lovely job there , I don't now a lot about these engines but you have changed the colour scheme do you prefer the green or do the colours mean something like the steam railway engines when the big 4 of them was running  

Cheers guys. Colours wise most companies had factory colours, like modern tractors, but it was far from uncommon for the customer to specify a colour, more so on the road locos, ie todays equivalent of trucks, but wouldn't be unheard of on an agricultural such as the one above. The engines based on a Marshall, and the comon colours they came in were the marron and red it was originally, however being a freelance it's not a 100% accurate representation of a Marshall so theres no real issues with colours. The main aim here was to make it shine as we intend to sell it on!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1