What have you been doing or plan on doing today?

This is were my rape should be ,I started to re-drill it this afternoon the front cultivator is having to work in this field as it is stiff and wet , no frost-moulds like other field having to go a gear slower as well ,should finish it tomorrow as I stopped at 6pm to go and roll the one I drilled yesterday .

I will get a picture of what rape is growing for you tomorrow Bluegreen

20190324_170816.jpg

20190324_170804.jpg

20190324_170735.jpg

20190324_170834.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I can see a lot of farmers giving up on Rapeseed after this poor season...………………………………..I drove by Eubrink Farms fields near Kings Lynn a couple of times last week and where there was a block of a good 1,000 acres of Rape now its all been worked down!!    And the few fields of Rape I found on the other side of their 7000acre estate were barely passable.   I also noticed a brand new very large Vaddy Tempo maize drill parked in their yard which suggests they really have had enough of rape, especially as the crop failed almost as bad back in 2014.

I went for a walk round the back of my village on Sunday and was shocked to see a couple of rape fields of 50acre+ in total had also been ploughed up...……………...both of these looked decent to me back before xmas and had both gotten away well but something awful must have occurred in the winter.  Probably both be into maize I suspect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In East Anglia rape crops that got away well from flea beetle attacks last August looked good until the hidden damage comes to sight in the late winter/early spring. If you take a stem of what looks like healthy rape, cut it down the stem you will see little white blobs, these are flea beetle larvae. When these hatch out in the spring, they eat from the inside out, and doom the plant to very heavy loses. Some people are even letting the pigeons graze the crop as they eat the larvae:o we stopped growing rape 6 years ago, and incidentally, haven’t used a slug pellet on the farm for 4 years. Nothing attracts slugs like a rape crop.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chris.watson said:

In East Anglia rape crops that got away well from flea beetle attacks last August looked good until the hidden damage comes to sight in the late winter/early spring. If you take a stem of what looks like healthy rape, cut it down the stem you will see little white blobs, these are flea beetle larvae. When these hatch out in the spring, they eat from the inside out, and doom the plant to very heavy loses. Some people are even letting the pigeons graze the crop as they eat the larvae:o we stopped growing rape 6 years ago, and incidentally, haven’t used a slug pellet on the farm for 4 years. Nothing attracts slugs like a rape crop.

You beat me to it Chris I was going to post up the facts of why rape crops slowly disappear thanks  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Anderson Agri said:

Thats interesting, as here in Somerset its doing quite well as a whole, lot of fields coming into flower over the weekend

was going to say theres a good few fields down this way seem to be doing well, and some seem not far of flowering, 

• Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:25 PM, bluegreen said:

Sorry to see your rape crop looking so sick Smithy,  good luck with the spring barley replacement...………………………………..had you not considered getting one of the maize boys in?

Yes I did have a word with the maize boys and they would have done it but I am not that close to a plant and because it was just one field  it would be left to last to harvest I would then have a lot of mud on road and field messed up so planted barley instead

• Like 2

11 hours ago, b_emmons said:

when I was out and about today around Goring I noticed just how bad some fields of rape where looking with huge areas of semi dead looking plants :(

Is it the end of seeing yellow fields in spring time :huh:

Probably not the end of yellow fields , but there wont be as many as in the past it will only be planted on the better fields at the right time , I now mine was later than planed going in as the baler boys was late getting here to clear up , if only mine had had a drop of rain at the time I am sure it would have got going and then it only leaves the battle with the Flea beetle  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Anderson Agri said:

Bit more rolling this afternoon, started the first half of the field a month ago then the frame on the rollers cracked, then it got wet so never got finished so finally got it finished today!

55587658_423929545025874_7898179037523083264_n.thumb.jpg.04acca90a13fb2b07ea82c06bfd9d6fb.jpg55622703_341149966529136_2159573577211314176_n.thumb.jpg.68545fce8f302ffa8cc889fa084ed1ae.jpg

Love the tractor and nice straight stipe's as well ,thanks  

• Like 1

Doing a bit of cleaning around my patch today. I have been building myself a garage over the last few months. Have it near finished , but I also knocked 2 trees at the rear before I started the build. They were growing on shallow ground over rock..so they possed a wee danger in the long term considering the unnatural storms hitting us over the last year or 2. Handy fire wood dough!!! :D But limbs  needed clearing..myself and brother got a loan of these machines to abit of clearing & tidy up the place.  A Puma 145 & a JCB 414 ..The ground was nice and hard with the good spell off weather over the last 2 weeks. So conditions ideal to get the job done. 

20190330_115033.jpg

20190330_115051.jpg

20190330_121642.jpg

20190330_121648.jpg

20190330_121939.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, justy 46 said:

Doing a bit of cleaning around my patch today. I have been building myself a garage over the last few months. Have it near finished , but I also knocked 2 trees at the rear before I started the build. They were growing on shallow ground over rock..so they possed a wee danger in the long term considering the unnatural storms hitting us over the last year or 2. Handy fire wood dough!!! :D But limbs  needed clearing..myself and brother got a loan of these machines to abit of clearing & tidy up the place.  A Puma 145 & a JCB 414 ..The ground was nice and hard with the good spell off weather over the last 2 weeks. So conditions ideal to get the job done. 

20190330_115033.jpg

20190330_115051.jpg

20190330_121642.jpg

20190330_121648.jpg

20190330_121939.jpg

Busy times for yourself there Justin, although i do maybe spot an error on your part..... should the doorway to the garage not need to be a little bit taller???  You might struggle getting a cabbed 4600 through there bud ;)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Busy times for yourself there Justin, although i do maybe spot an error on your part..... should the doorway to the garage not need to be a little bit taller???  You might struggle getting a cabbed 4600 through there bud ;)

Well spotted Paul..:D Not to worry . I have another plan if that situation ever occurred..The uncle down the road has a big shed holding his own Dexta & 135...wuth room for more if I was stuck..I was thinking of getting a vintage car maybe .. Would love an MR2 mk2.;)

• Like 1

nothing but baking for the mothers this afternoon, so far a. Victoria sponge, 12 eclairs ,raspberry and white chocolate muffins, 48 hand made sausage rollls, cherry bakwell tart, and 2 quiches,ones egg and bacon,the other salmon and  green stuff for the vegie amongst us 15 odd . all done now so its just down to her doing the sarnies, apparently door steos are not appropriate they need to be small and dainty ?? women :D:blink:   

• Like 2