What have you been doing or plan on doing today?

Not a fan of DAP+S how do you get soluble P on rape ? 

Di-ammonium phosphate (DAP) we spread on as a granule product  we also put the P on in the product called FIBROPHOS which is the ash from a local chicken litter burning power station .The product I was putting on the other day was just nitrogen +sulphur in a prill form .The fibrophos we use is a 0-12-12 product and is put on at 500KGS Hectare 

• Like 2

Is that the place at eye smithy? The power station, for me out for lunch to treat the wife on her birthday , she doesn't know but there 12 of us going

That's the one sean  there is also one at Thetford and most of the ash from both power stations is stored at a farm next to me so I don't have far to go to get mine

Well I'm home alone today as Kirsty went down to Glasgow yesterday with her mum to do a spot of shopping so plans today a walk as its a lovely day then pop up to my Massey Pal (Wayne) outside Garmond to start striping down my MF37 Hay conditioner.

• Like 1

Started spreading fertilizer at 6-30am finished by 10am so went to Stowmarket model railway club swapmeet  held at Needham Market community centre got there just before it opened and there was a good 100 people in the queue and more cars pulling in all the time good to see it is well supported   

• Like 2

Spent Sunday in Lancaster watching some family friends winching a digger that had sunk into some hidden peat.

The T-Cab used to transport both winches

IMG_20150308_133131_zps0idcfgtt.jpg

The Fordson major that never left the loader as it wasn't needed

IMG_20150308_095222_zpsxlyzamdq.jpg

The Kraz which was used for the winch

IMG_20150308_121935_zpsbhkpyjt9.jpg

The position of the machine meant the winch had to take place over half a field, through two fences and an allotment.

IMG_20150308_111143_zpsebhsy0yd.jpg

Look at the size of that for an anchor.

IMG_20150308_115605_zpsn1pn9fnt.jpg

Was a very good day out and a surprise at the end of it when we went back to the car and our cat walked out from underneath, looks like it did the 1 1/2 hour journey on the motorway at 70mph in the rain clung to the spare wheel carrier. One cat with very few of its lives left but when she reappeared you wouldn't think anything had happened and is perfectly fine and well. 

• Like 7

Very clever geometry on that massive anchor James,and a massive hydraulic winch as well,hope you cat's gotten over it's ordeal,

Regards

Joe.

It certainly is a well thought out piece of kit under its rough exterior. I was most impressed by the way the same rams were used twice to lift the anchor. First to lift it out of the ground till the ram was fully contracted, then once out it was locked in place with a chain while the rams slid themselves back on a channel so they re extended and the anchor was lifted higher. This meant a smaller ram could be used to lift the entire unit twice the height it normally would. Plenty of pull too, it moved the 22ton digger without a problem.
  • Like 1

Is it early for the beet ??   think in my days it would go in early /mid   April time  ,

Yes it is early but if conditions are ok put them in British Sugar says from the 1st march  to mid april  my beet will properly go in next week

what do you net per ha from a 70t crop of beet if you don't mind me asking?

You get paid £31-67p a tonne less a dirt/tops claim which depends on how much dirt/tops you have per load eg you take in 29 tonne you get paid for appox 25 tonnes .So 70t ha crop brings in £2216-90p less your dirt/tops claim and the growing cost which I cant tell you at the moment as I am away from the farm helping martyns farm models with the show this weekend .The price for this coming season is only about £24 tonne as there is to much sugar around .The seed costs for this year are appox £185 ha depending on what verity /seed dressing

• Like 2

just worked my first rostered Saturday in a good 5 years, usally gets swapped with my following Tuesday off, but I am in on ot for that, and we are at the end of year quarter so all day swaps have been blocked : :'( : so no Malvern for me sadly

I worked today as well Sean, first Saturday this year and the first Friday night out in the cab in years