What have you been doing or plan on doing today?

After leaving home at 4-30am sunday morning to drive to Spalding toy fair to help Martyn and not getting home till 10-30pm its nice to be sitting down today as I am spraying my wheats and barleys the wind is picking up a bit at moment so might have to stop

• Like 1

How is the shed is it ok can it be repaired ?

She's a tad poorly , hell of a weight hitting it at speed , grand daughters a bit happier today , it really shocked her when I went down ,luckily on a nice big padded rear end, went running off crying shouting for her Nonna,

• Like 1

post-1115-0-50409800-1428691082_thumb.jppost-1115-0-17481800-1428691181_thumb.jppost-1115-0-93495800-1428691303_thumb.jppost-1115-0-12234900-1428691412_thumb.jp

I have been helping my mates again today, because its half-term week we have hung new gates we made onto the posts we cemented in place last week , next job was to replace 3 wooden posts out of 6 which hold up this play area new posts are metal and in the ground 600mm

• Like 1

ive posted pictures of me at work since 2009,rolling has started,2015,didnt see the two new 724 fendts,as they were out of the yard before i got there,will see if they are there tomorrow,70 acres done today,2 big fields,one 40 acres,and the other just over 30 acres

post-1769-0-96793200-1428780446_thumb.jp

post-1769-0-30517200-1428780657_thumb.jp

post-1769-0-43649700-1428780691_thumb.jp

post-1769-0-85023300-1428780823_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Beef cattle inside like that must have really high cost structures hey Paul, lot of kit and work the cattle must fund+ profit? 

they will be turned out soon Ol,dont get the last question mate,thanks for looking

Edited by paulali

Beef cattle inside like that must have really high cost structures hey Paul, lot of kit and work the cattle must fund+ profit?

beef herds have to come inside over here ol. If you left them outside there wouldn't be any grass growing and they would poach the ground.

and me parked up the jd and roller before i went home and some more pictures of the cattle and the mf 8450 and plough and fendt 820 on the rolland

Good pics again Paul. Why does the fender on the muck spreader have the wheel centres covered?

• Like 1

At home we rear bull beef which are a mix of pure bred beef animals from our suckler cows and Belgian/British Blue x holstein bulls. They are left entire and fed a ration of barley/protein pellets and silage in housing all year. We aim to finish them at 13-15 months of age and around 600-700kg. All sold through a market as we send around 3 per week, buyers are mostly butchers which buy the premium end of the market. Typically we would spend no more than roughly 5 hours a week on around 70 head of fattening bulls.

Pro's of the system are:

It uses hardly any extra machinery than we have for the other enterprises on the farm, the exception being an auger bucket for feeding the barley.

Converting straw from the arable side into muck which is spread back on the arable fields, adding organic matter and nutrients.

Improves cash flow as it provides an income when all the grain has been sold etc.

All the cattle buildings are on farm from when we ran a dairy herd so very little alteration was needed for beef.

The social aspect of markets/selling offers a good chance to catch up on news/put the world to rights/gossip.

We've found that it leaves a decent profit margin and uses the machinery for a larger proportion of the year when otherwise it would be sat around depreciating.

Other ways of fattening beef are to castrate bulls and feed them a largely forage based diet and graze over summer finishing them at any age up to 30 months. It is possible to out winter cattle although very few sites are suitable and we are subjected to greater regulations regarding pollution which makes outwintering a less viable option.

• Like 2