At work with Martin (NH2)

NewHolland2

I'd never driven a trailer with brakes until my Bailey this week... strange setup really.. they appear to be on or off  :-\ - is that how they all are or do I need some adjustment ???

Mart... I'm hoping the 5400 series will go 50k before long... 40k is tooooooo slow really...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd never driven a trailer with brakes until my Bailey this week... strange setup really.. they appear to be on or off  :-\ - is that how they all are or do I need some adjustment ???

Mart... I'm hoping the 5400 series will go 50k before long... 40k is tooooooo slow really...

our bailey flat bed was like that as well bit of a night mare when you come to a junction. it depended on the tractor that was on it as how bad it was. we changed that trailer for martins favourite a Ronny Gardiner and it is better for braking with

Thats interesting Pete... with a full load it's a nightmare... all or nothing... you roll along with not a lot happening... so you drop your foot a little firmer... then........ BANG - my rahter cute button nose is up against the window  :o:D

ye thats what used to happen when we were carting of from the tattie harvester,one of the young lads had a shot and nearly put the elevator through the cab. when we were carting straw home used to disconnect the brakes. we still have a 12 ton bailey grain trailer and have never had the problem with that trailer.

I hope your boss remembers to upgrade his trailer brakes to an air system as well then or he may have a few problems  :D

What you mean gav the only advantage of air brakes is fail safe so that when unhook etc brakes are locked on otherwise oil is just as efficent when comes to stopping the trailer as we have been running our trailers behind 50K tractors for years and had no problems at all as long as regualary check brakes are adjusted etc :D :D :D  Well thats what we have found ??? ???

What you mean gav the only advantage of air brakes is fail safe so that when unhook etc brakes are locked on otherwise oil is just as efficent when comes to stopping the trailer as we have been running our trailers behind 50K tractors for years and had no problems at all as long as regualary check brakes are adjusted etc :D :D :D  Well thats what we have found ??? ???

What I mean is if one of Kevs colleagues or VOSA spot you running with no air brakes connected and running at 50kph you're talking large fines and points on your licence in the worst case. All of the trailers are air and oil where I'm working at the minute, often the oil line isn't even connected as the air brakes are far more efficient, you're on borrowed time if you're not running on air, the firm look into all laws to make sure they are legal before making a purchase, the newest two Stewarts have ABS fitted as well ;)

I'll keep my whits about me as even my maggy will do 47k  :D :D But be interesting to see if boss will upgrade to air as he is a tight sod but doesnt normal waste on safty :D :D 

But see your point gav as will all come into effect some time soon i reckon :D

yes, it's a lovely part of the world alright...I'd love to persuade my missus we ought to go back (and accidentaly coincide with the Leuchars airshow in September !!!)

yes, it's a lovely part of the world alright...I'd love to persuade my missus we ought to go back (and accidentaly coincide with the Leuchars airshow in September !!!)

Best of luck - is it still a Tornado base?  I know one of the F3 bases was winding down - was it Leuchars or Leeming ???

Things are moving on apace now......We're hoping to start mowing the silage fields this week, brought the 3095 down the Dual Carriageway today in preparation for wrapping - first time on the road in me tractor since I passed my test  ;D ;D......

The cattle are out for the most part and the courts are being emptied to be washed and white-washed in the coming weeks as well......It's all go......

• 2 weeks later...