Ploughs... ploughs... ploughs.... decisions... decisions... your thoughts please

Lord Ferguson

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

johns right marky , the 260 isn't a very well ballanced plough but a hydraulic turnover does help as is controlled & you could be infinately adjusting it to keep it right , to even think about this plough , you'd have been better off with buying the 420 4wd version

again for the 3F massey would be fine for a slightly bigger tractor of 65hp+ really

my bets would be on the kv or the ransomes but as for the kv buy one you want not something you need to change

I'd love to see Fanny trying to handle that 2F rev! :D :D :D Without a depth wheel its useless for match ploughing, not to mention the whole pulling the arm off yourself trying to turn it ove r.

Don't touch that 3F massey, it looks like a pig of a plough

The KV is a nice little plough. Converting it from 14" probably means someones gone and put No.8 bodies on it, which sounds like a good idea, but messes things up for you split/middle. It'll prob have to go back to No.3's, but they're more of a general purpose board and may not be great for match ploughing. If you're ever going to go for a KV, look out for a 14" one, that way you can always put match boards on it later.

The Ransomes' look OK, but I'm not sure about the bodies. One looks like a SEMI-DIGGER TYPE, WHILE THE OTHER IS MORE OF A GENERAL PURPOSE? [Damn Caps Lock :-[] Not sure which is better for match work, but I'd be inclined to chose the top one just for the shape of the body

Its not power u need buddy, its grip.

3 furrows, and if needed rear wheel weights just for that job

matter of fact ricky's right marky , with the proper use of pressure controll with the draft , your fanny should have no problem accomadating the size :-[

grip is the issue here not power i've seen a 590 2wd out perform a 590 4wd when ploughing, with the correct use of the pressure control . rear wheel ballast may be an option , but hardly worth messing about with.

matter of fact ricky's right marky , with the proper use of pressure controll with the draft , your fanny should have no problem accomadating the size :-[

grip is the issue here not power i've seen a 590 2wd out perform a 590 4wd when ploughing, with the correct use of the pressure control . rear wheel ballast may be an option , but hardly worth messing about with.

For match work, you need to forget all about Harry Ferguson's wonderful invention of draft control. Match ploughing is all about eveness and uniformity so you basically plough on the depth wheel. Of course at the entry level many people will plough just like they're out in the field, but you'll soon find that many of the top ploughmen use a spool valve with a float position for the linkage, completely by-passing all the draft control.

For match work, you need to forget all about Harry Ferguson's wonderful invention of draft control. Match ploughing is all about eveness and uniformity so you basically plough on the depth wheel. Of course at the entry level many people will plough just like they're out in the field, but you'll soon find that many of the top ploughmen use a spool valve with a float position for the linkage, completely by-passing all the draft control.

you trying to give the man a heart attack !

have you any idea what the implications of that sentence could do to this particular member  :-\ :-\

AMBULANCE FOR MR CHANNEL PLEASE  :D :D :D :D

johns right marky , the 260 isn't a very well ballanced plough but a hydraulic turnover does help as is controlled & you could be infinately adjusting it to keep it right , to even think about this plough , you'd have been better off with buying the 420 4wd version

again for the 3F massey would be fine for a slightly bigger tractor of 65hp+ really

my bets would be on the kv or the ransomes but as for the kv buy one you want not something you need to change

You don't need 65hp for a three furrow conventional, your little Fanny should romp away with it. We used to plough with a three furrow 14" Overum on a 135.

your fanny will be fine on 3f, your a "fanny" (pardon the pun) if your frightend to pull 3 f with her, i pulled 3f with my tef20 in holderness clay! its traction not hp that counts, having said that 2f are better for match ploughing for the opening and finish, i think a 2f hyd reversable would suit it well

The boys in the vtc over here love ried and gray poulghs. I myself have a 2f David brown and it dose a nice job. I have only herd good about ried and gray , vogel and noot , Ransomese any of those 3 should do. I pulled a 3f Clough with my 25 c david brown the other day. was good till i found a wet spot. all you need is good traction and you are of like a rocket.

The boys in the vtc over here love ried and gray poulghs. I myself have a 2f David brown and it dose a nice job. I have only herd good about ried and gray , vogel and noot , Ransomese any of those 3 should do. I pulled a 3f Clough with my 25 c david brown the other day. was good till i found a wet spot. all you need is good traction and you are of like a rocket.

I think DB used Ransomes bodies though didn't they? Pretty sure the ones our local contractor used were, back in the mid '70's.