At work with Gav

Gav836

Couldn't comment on that one as I don't drive it, even if I wanted to i couldn't drive it legally on the road as I don't have a cat H licence :-\

It would be inmpossible to hit the pins out with enough force from beneath, thats why we put it up on the ramp like that or hang it over a wall back at base. Short of the tiller pins breaking there is no way that it can drop on us from on there, another reason for doing it that way. It gets even more dangerous with goggles on as they normally steam up and fingers get mashed

Some of these licensing laws are really stupid. I mean it is a tracked machine but really is just a tractor on tracks. I suppose legally you could drive it with L plates on... but oh what a knock for the street cred ;D ;D

I can drive a Quadtrac on the road without a cat H licence though as it is a pivot steer machine and not steered on the tracks like a challenger, how dumb is that, some totally ridiculous rules out there

A few close calls Adam but I managed to claw myself out each time :)

The farm i live next to where planting spuds in very wet condtions a few days ago although the field was to big to keep walking up and down ::) watching them so i dont no if they had any problems what tractor and machine where you using? Thanks ;)

A few of the views from the top of the field, when you look around there are more than a dozen fields of OSR in the area now flowering, lots about his year

Image155.jpg

Image156.jpg

Image157.jpg

For Marky's benefit, did your borrowed MXM have this type of spool fitted or was it levers?

Image158.jpg

It was reforming them due to the wet weather causing them to collapse a bit, it also helps to break some of the clods up.

Our usual method on heavier land is:

Terra-disc

Subsoil/disc

Bedform

Cultivate/re-form beds

Rotor-ridge

De-stone

Plant

On light land we don't tend to  cultivat/reform or rotor ridge, the latter is a very expensive past time, costing ?250 per set of tines, they last about 20-30 acres, you then have about 250l of diesel a day plus my labour costs. You're lucky if you can get 8 acres a day done with it as its such a slow process

Nice job there Gav - if a little bit wet - are ye nearly finished yet ???

That harrow is a Dalbo Dutch harrow is it on the JQ 8210 ???

Have another 185 acres to plant yet Colm, not good land either now, will be two of us on tillers.....got another tractor now so it should be easier for me, the MXM has gone and has been replaced with a CVX1190 until the new one is ready.

Its a Kongskilde cultivator on the JD ;)

Quality big Deere there Mr Henderson :D :D

I'm liking these pictures of more unusual farming techniques than you see around here. Will you be helping with the harvest?

Not sure on the harvest yet Luke, long way off so don't know what I'll be doing at that time yet