At work with Gav

Gav836

how easy are the headlands on that 1st field then gav?? they look pretty wavy compaired to our old ones .they re alingned the ditches to make it easier and save time,many years back mind,see loads of fields with curvey edges down here and i have always wondered how easy they are to finish off

most we plough is 8''  :o , your deere must feel the force hauling that plough and a furrow press, or does the slatted boards ease her of a bit!

apparently the press makes the plough easy pulled... less friction on the landside... what we were told anyway  ;):-\  but holy moly that is deep!

Thats shallow, a few potato growers plough down to 14-15 inches locally as well ;)

You can add another 1 to 2 furrows for the force it takes to pull the press as well so on easy going 5 furrows plus the press requires the same force to pull as a 6 furrow plough would, on tough going it would be nearer 7 furrows. Its a lot better now press arms are nearer the headstock, a few years back when the arms were mounted down the beam it used to ruin ploughs over time due to the forces involved

nice pics gav , looks like you were lucky to not have any brusing without the soil on the web i dare say the agitators were turned right down to idle, but nice sample though, not many bulk store potatoes down here that i know of , it's usually either graded straight off the field , or boxed into cold stores .  nice straight furrow mate although , my back would have been giving me some agro by now especially running over the rows like you are, maybe you like the sea sick feeling  :D

as for you lot & the ploughing straight question , the biggest problem i see people have is their curve starts on the headlands, thats because when you make the turn & line up again they let the rear wheel down into the furrow too quickly & before the plough is lowered so as the tractor wheel goes down into the furrow the plough swings to the lower side , thus , drawing in at a slight angle , my ex boss was the same , he'd start with a reasonably good line & by the 5th run he'd be ploughing a banana , used to take me ages trying to get it back  right , 9 times out of 10 i'd have to plough one way at each end  the curve was so severe  ::)

good job it was harrowed for maize as the drill man would have thought i was nuts trying to follow the ploughing  :D :D

same as gav , 6ins for wheat/ barley , approx 9 for maize & up to 12 ins for potatoes

Heres a few pictures from Friday when we were ploughing and drilling behind sugarbeet, field is 39 acres in size and nice long ends. Started against the straightest hedge but even that had a bend in it......but not for long :D :D

002-9.jpg

001-7.jpg

My feathered fiends ::)

005-7.jpg

6910 and Vaderstad

003-6.jpg

My faithfull co-pilot :D :D

007-3.jpg

Our not so new toy fitted on the faithfull 135, came out of a shed they were clearing out at the owners house over the road, my boss and myself have a use for it, pictures to come when I get it up and running ;D

012-7.jpg

011-7.jpg

That isn't light land Will, its horrible wet sticky land normally, its just very dry beneath still which is why its turning over so well. These pictures were taken spring time when I ploughed it for the beet with a Kv demonstrator plough, the water has come up through the furrow bottom :o

DSCN0527.jpg

DSCN0524.jpg

The Kv was a terrible plough thats why we didn't buy it, it looked weakly built in places, blocked up with excessive trash, the wheel would jam upside down and it was expensive, it suffered from all the same problems that our 25 year old one did, the Lemken is a far superior and better built plough in my opinion ;)

The Kv was a terrible plough thats why we didn't buy it, it looked weakly built in places, blocked up with excessive trash, the wheel would jam upside down and it was expensive, it suffered from all the same problems that our 25 year old one did, the Lemken is a far superior and better built plough in my opinion ;)

About the building from a kv i have a other opinion ;) .

But when i am right a kv is more heavy then a lemken, and that is not good for the fuel.

Texas