At work with Gav

Gav836

Looking good there Gav.

I bet the feeder is quite a few years old but looks like a nice scene on the 135.

What is the idea of the front tank on the 6420S?

I must say there is a nice purr out of those - next door neighbour had his on a 20ft Redrock on Saturday pulling beet beside us :of

Gav

why not fill sprayer tyres with some water, yes it'll add a few kgs in terms of ground compaction put on the tramlines i doubt it'll make much difference but it'd really lower overall centre of gravity and maybe there will be one time you say thank god for the weight in the tyres that was nearly over!!

I've heard of a few sore Jd sprayer owners after tipping over there 4000L models or being very very close!

Gav

why not fill sprayer tyres with some water, yes it'll add a few kgs in terms of ground compaction put on the tramlines i doubt it'll make much difference but it'd really lower overall centre of gravity and maybe there will be one time you say thank god for the weight in the tyres that was nearly over!!

Or perhaps they should design them so that they don't tip over every other manufacturer has :D

But does look very smart still tho though mate what still got front tank for?

found out more on them today they where all the bigger ones out of the five that flipped all except one where full at the time and all the farms that had them dont have them anymore one lad bought a jd sp instead another a berthoud two hardi and one knight

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the weather has improved we've managed to get all of the beet in and are now getting on with this years potato crop. No changes from last year really other than we now have the 6910 to use on the de-stoner so no longer need to hire a tractor in for the job. Extremely dusty conditions on top when I'm sub soiling and bed forming but still awfully wet beneath.

Got a few pictures from today, will try to get some more over the next few weeks

6910 and de-stoner

018-2.jpg

019-4.jpg

022-3.jpg

023-3.jpg

024-1.jpg

025-3.jpg

It usually is a day or two before the de-stoner gets to them but often on the land here if it dries too much the clods don't break down. The weather often plays a hand in it here as well, we'd rather push on while it was dry than waste a few days letting the beds dry out

That field is a rarity, most of them have quite a bit of stone in, patches of that one are bad as well. The beds are about 26-30 inches deep on there so not shallow at all, they just look it in the pictures

That field is a rarity, most of them have quite a bit of stone in, patches of that one are bad as well. The beds are about 26-30 inches deep on there so not shallow at all, they just look it in the pictures

If you have 30 inch deep beds, do the potatoes also grow as deep? Seems an awful lot of soil that has to move over the harvester when lifting them. Would you know of any figures about green tubers? Over here we don't go deeper than 6-8 inch when it comes to preperation and are on 30 inch wide beds (your on 36" I reckon?). Still, less than 1% of the tubers is green.

Beds are 30 inches before de-stoning takes place Niels, once thats been through them there's around 14 inches of clod/stone free soil to plant in. they have to be that deep to allow for half filling the furrows with clods and stones. Potatoes are planted 6-7 inches deep with the same amount of loose soil beneath them where possible, we're on 36 inch rows/72 inch beds here, would imagine our green tuber figures are also less than 1%, the only time we ever really get them is in very shallow beds in the more heavy clay soils of which we only have the odd patch or two

I see Gav, thanks. Irrigator sales agents must do good business in the UK.

More questions Gav, if you don't mind. (UK potato/onion business interests me a lot). I noticed you don't have a Polish tent/hut on the back for picking out stones/tubers/haulm while a lot of farms seem to do? Why did you choose to do it like this? To me it seems very wise as they slow down the harvester a great deal? Yet, they seem very popular in most places.

Ask away Niels :)

We don't bother for several reasons, its safer for one, it speeds up the operation asI don't have to worry about them being able to pick stuff off but mainly all of our potatoes go over a grader anyway so it would be a wasted exercise

That idea never took off here,it's still popular to have people on the digger and then garde them again as they are taken out to be sold.Our spud lifting contractor had 6 staff on the back of his 4 row digger and then they would have 2 grading them again as they came out of the bunker.This yank digger also uses air help grade the spuds before the staff pick the bad ones out,the air helps em keep up with the flood of spuds that come over.

post-628-132639277759_thumb.jpg

I see Gav, thanks. Irrigator sales agents must do good business in the UK.

More questions Gav, if you don't mind. (UK potato/onion business interests me a lot). I noticed you don't have a Polish tent/hut on the back for picking out stones/tubers/haulm while a lot of farms seem to do? Why did you choose to do it like this? To me it seems very wise as they slow down the harvester a great deal? Yet, they seem very popular in most places.

oi onions easy , they aint grown in rings and battered mate ;D ;D ;D ;D

some great shots as usal gav, the 69 back in service now or still out of use??

6920s died Sunday morning, was repaired yesterday morning, broke down again yesterday afternoon and was sorted again then same old problems again this morning so had to have them out again, its been in use this afternoon with someone else driving as I've had a JD 7830 out on loan all day today so will see what the 69 does in the morning ::)

6920s died Sunday morning, was repaired yesterday morning, broke down again yesterday afternoon and was sorted again then same old problems again this morning so had to have them out again, its been in use this afternoon with someone else driving as I've had a JD 7830 out on loan all day today so will see what the 69 does in the morning ::)

That's more than a Friday afternoon tractor - it's a Monday morning after a big, big, weekend tractor.  :)