At work with Gav

Gav836

I had to go and pick up some compost for our biobed project on Friday so I thought I'd get a few pictures for you lot from around the yard while I was there. They also do wood chip and bark supplies alongside the compost on an old runway, quite a large site once you get on there.

The grading line/screen

DSCN2192.jpg

DSCN2191.jpg

DSCN2190.jpg

"Little" Volvo shovel loading me with compost

DSCN2188.jpg

DSCN2189.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We also started drilling beet today, nice amount of moisture in the soil so the seedbeds are coming down really well

DSCN2229.jpg

DSCN2230.jpg

Our new Standen Uniweb destoner also turned up today so we're now ready to start potato planting at the end of the week

DSCN2237.jpg

DSCN2238.jpg

DSCN2239.jpg

We've had one of the local spraying contractors in this week putting the suspension fertiliser on this years potato ground so I can start subsoiling it ready for ridging up. This year they had one of their Sands sprayers with a purpose build spray pack with special nozzles for the extremely thick fertiliser instead of the JCB Fastrac we've had for the previous couple of years.

DSCN2247.jpg

DSCN2248.jpg

DSCN2249.jpg

DSCN2250.jpg

DSCN2251.jpg

DSCN2252.jpg

I'd actually started to subsoil the field in the pictures before he got onto it, as its behind sugarbeet we wanted to make the most of the dry conditions before the rain comes at the weekend so I had to go back afterwards and pull his wheelings out again.

DSCN2243.jpg

DSCN2244.jpg

DSCN2245.jpg

DSCN2246.jpg

We've been drilling beet as well this week but had a slight hitch this evening, we've been rained off in the past but having to stop drilling beet due to thick fog is a first!! Visibility was less than 30m at times so our man on the drill couldn't see his mark to continue drilling without making a mess. The annoying bit is that we were less than a mile from the yard as the crow flies and back at the yard there was just a little mist!

DSCN2256.jpg

When I got into work this morning I was asked if I could drill the rest of the sugarbeet today due to the weather forecast allowing my boss to do the pre-emergence spray on them. Its been about 6 years since I last done any beet drilling so it made a change, I did tell the boss I was a bit rusty at it :D

6810 and beet drill, the tractor now has 9060 hours on the clock

DSCN2263.jpg

DSCN2262.jpg

DSCN2258.jpg

DSCN2264.jpg

DSCN2265.jpg

DSCN2266.jpg

Do you "tunnel vision" the centre marker line Gav, or also follow your drill edge on the left/right to see that it doesn't overlap?

I just focus on the centre mark Chris, usually a good distance ahead of the tractor so I can allow for any side slopes or wiggles that need removing. I occassionally glance in a wing mirror to see what the join looks like to the previous bout or the rear view mirror to see there are no unusual marks behind me caused by jammed press wheels. There is no overlap as the drill runs 18 inches away from the previous bout.

I just focus on the centre mark Chris, usually a good distance ahead of the tractor so I can allow for any side slopes or wiggles that need removing. I occassionally glance in a wing mirror to see what the join looks like to the previous bout or the rear view mirror to see there are no unusual marks behind me caused by jammed press wheels. There is no overlap as the drill runs 18 inches away from the previous bout.

Thanks for the detail, I'll take an experts advice whenever I can! So 18 inches is the spacing between each row?

Yes Chris 18 inches between rows for us, some people go for 20 inches though depending on their preference.

As I let my colleague have a go on my tractor today so he could get used to it before we share it for destoning duties it gave me a chance to get a video of it subsoiling and listen to what everyone else has been hearing while I've been doing it :P:D