At work with Gav

Gav836

No sign of Kverneland then ???

Would you not get away with a 120 rather than a 140 Dowdeswell - nice job there ;D

We still have a Kverneland to come when the dealer finds a demonstrator along with any other brands we can find.

We've gone for a 140 model as we want scope to add a 6th furrow if we took more land on or increased tractor size.

Nice to see this updated mate :)  The rabe is a good plough know of few over years had one back home on partners farm and that was 5 furrow made lovely job on our clay helped break it a little due to slatted boards do you notice much difference on your ground?  We found helped old combi drill behind could go bit faster as didnt have to be doing as much work.  Have dowdeswell ploughs got any ligther over years remember hoisting 6 furrow with old 818 and that made her extremly light up front :D

The Rabe and the Dowdeswell are on a par for a broken finish Phill, the quality of finish those Dowdeswell bodies are as close to a slatted one that I've ever seen from solid ones. No the Dowdeswell is still as heavy as they always have been, the headstock is rated for 300hp across the range :o does come with several features as standard that are optional extras on others. The Rabe was a 6 furrow when I went to collect it but I could only lift it 6 inches off the ground, took 3 hours to remove the back furrow and change it all about ::)

Interesting mate. Was there much difference betweeen lugging the DW compared to the Rabe?

I would go DW personally. Good experience.

I have to admit though Gavlarrrrrrrrr that I have never seen anyone demonstrating a plough??????

No kuhn either?

kuhn is a great plough, but the amount of metal they have make them v heavy, having said that the one i used to use was a high clearance version but the valmet 8100 wouldn't lift a 5 furrow so was bought as a 4 version

We have a few more ploughs to try yet but so far the Rabe is proving to be the favourite with us, it's blown the other two out of the picture on fuel consumption per hectare worked which is an important factor for us, it leaves a good level broken finish and has good clearence for coping with trash unlike the Dowdeswell. If you're interested this is what the consumption figures are in litres/Ha

Overum        20

Dowdeswell  17

Rabe            14

Thats a big saving when ploughing 300ha per year

We have a few more ploughs to try yet but so far the Rabe is proving to be the favourite with us, it's blown the other two out of the picture on fuel consumption per hectare worked which is an important factor for us, it leaves a good level broken finish and has good clearence for coping with trash unlike the Dowdeswell. If you're interested this is what the consumption figures are in litres/Ha

Overum        20

Dowdeswell   17

Rabe            14

Thats a big saving when ploughing 300ha per year

How did you calculate that mate?

By using the area meter on the 6920s (one of the few things that does work properly on it) and measuring how much diesel we put in to fill the tank up each time after a plough has been, tank being full to brim. crude method but best we can do with the kit we have

nice pics Gav, no as much about ploughs as Marky does with JD's so i wont even start......blue one looks good :D

as for Buster, Julie prefered those pics more with the aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrhh!! :D :D

Interesting stuff Gav, quite a difference on the consumption with the slatted boards. Were you in same gear/speed with all ploughs?

Up here it's 90% KV with a few Dowdeswell and Lemken, on the lighter ground, but the weakness of both is the autoreset wears badly. Rabe gets a good name from the few guys I know that have one.

No gears to worry about on the 6920 John as its an Autopower. was set at 9.5kph for the Dowdeswell and Rabe but wouldn't pull the Overum much above 8kph, all on the same field as well. The Rabe is looking favourite now as my Boss was impressed with its build quality and features as well. Best bit is it looks like we are going for a hydraulic vari-width model now as well ;D

were my dad works ran dowdswells for many years with no problems, the last been a ma140 5f, it was a great plough but was 7 years old and they tend to replace them rather than re board them, a lemkin euro opel 7 was its replacement, i havent used it but it dosnt seam to run half as well as the dowdswell (they never demo'd one before hand but there the in plough round here)

i dont think you can do far wrong with dowdswell ;)

I was telling my Dad about you trying the ploughs Gav :) He rekoned you wouldn't go far wrong with a Kverneland :)

On his farm they have two 5f one's both bought 2nd hand, he pulls his at 18" furrows with a 8ft dowdeswell press with his NH TM155 :o (on light land mind)

He got his T6080 on Thursday and rekons he can't wait to bed her in on the plough :D :D

We have a Kverneland at the minute Paul, 20-25 years old with a twisted beam/headstock and at the minute a knackered valve block on it so we wouldn't rule one out again given its service unless the dealer can't give us one on demo to compare against the others.

I think if your Dad brought his set up here the TM would curl its toes up quickly :D :D

We have a list of criteria we're looking at on each one, some the manager told me to account for others I'm looking at from an operating point of view:

Fuel Consumption

Purchase Price

Resale Value

Parts Prices/Availability

Ease of setting up/Adjusting

Ease of wearing metal changes

Amount of moving parts/wearing parts on plough frame

Build quality

That little list is keeping me busy at the minute as the boss wants a nice table done with it all in :D

These are the ones we have here Paul:

Rabe - Johnson Bros

Vogel and Noot - Nicholsons

Dowdeswell - Agri-Hire

Kverneland - Randell NFM

Overum - Ernest Doe Power

Kuhn - Ernest Doe Power

Lemken - Ernest Doe

Gregoire Besson - Ben Burgess

We are waiting to try a Lemken, have heard that there is a problem getting demonstrators at the minute though. Always had Lemkens at my last job without much trouble so definately want to try one here

I know of a farm local to my work ( I move their CAT D8) that use a 7 furrow slatted board Lemken with a JD 8220 on hilly heavy land  :P  but this year they were mostly down to 6 furrows with a JD 7810 as back up with a 5 furrow version of the same plough :o

• 2 weeks later...