At work with Gav

Gav836

might i suggest you try burning your overalls in a different place next time gav  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  thers a lot of nh's appearing down this way lately, mostly 60 series mind so they must be good overall, them and fergys do seem to be selling well overall, think deep down you would like the fendt wouldnt you?

From being at the factories, in Germany, I've seen right into the deeres guts, seen them naked without clothes on, seen the checks they do, seen the way the system really operates, if my 6930 autopower shats itself tomorrow, there'd only be one thing to do, and thats buy another one,

seen the new deere cab, ssshhh

sat in the 8000 range cab ohhh dammm sexy, the factory is cleaner than an operating theatre  . .. ok thats maybe not hard

I'll never go away from deere, every bit of them i love, enjoy, appricate and now, can look at how they really go together and work as a complete unit,

In fact i want another one.

The New Holland overalls were on offer hence why I have them, managed to burn a large hole in my Deere ones in the crotch area while using a 9 inch grinder :of;D ;D

i know this is going to sound wrong from the start but .........................

why were you grinding your crotch with a 9inch grinder gav? ???

It is, don't knock the experience until you've tried it ;D ;D ;D ;D

Seriously though we bought some subsoiler points from a well known spurious parts supplier and the holes were out of line so I had to "adjust" them with the grinder and set fire to my overalls in the process, seeing flames coming from my crotch is not an experience that I'd like repeat ::);D ;D

Gav, I heard you say something about the MF's footh trottle on here. What is wrong with it? I drove a new 7495 myself today and it seemed fine? Lovely tractor I thought. Only missed the cruise control like Fendt's TMS or did I miss something?

Aha ok well I am only a little 'un as you saw for yourself  ;) . Shoved the seat right forward and did well. Lovely 'Active' seat with heating and all. Lack of self cancelling indicators as you said is appaling! How dare MF even building one like this still. Cab is maybe a little dated but layout fairly well. Liked the armrest controls with the 'flippers' for hydraulics but not much place to rest your arm and hand on. Had two screens in the cab (GPS and Kv Isobus) and then it does get really cramped! Compared to my old 6480 it does seem to use a bit more fuel but going 55k on the road also speeds up the job of course compared to 40k on the old one.

Windscreen wipers front and rear not going at once by the way. Rear is on seperate button.

Yeah the wipers were on a seperate button to each other, its the washers that worked at the same time in the one I demo'd. The one I had didn't have fingertip spools but the crossgate joystick and one mechanical lever, will be 4 fingertips on whatever we buy though. It was a bit too warm to try the seat heating out but I did find the climate control very effective.

I couldn't have the seat right forward as my knees would have been round my ears so I guess thats why we differ on the foot throttle opinion ;D ;D

Probably so indeed. Washers didn't work so couldn't try them. Don't think I have ever come across a tractor that bothered to fill it with whiper fluid!

Do you know if you can change the GTA terminal screen back to daylight colours after you turned the lights on? I thought the black background was annoying.

• 1 month later...

Not alot happening on the land at the minute but we had a little misshap at work whilst topping stewardship margins yesterday, a small crack in one of the lift pin clevis's on the topper turned into a split so needed some major repairs and strengthening. No pictures of the split but here's a few of the remedial work and bracing

Split can still be seen on front of plate in this picture, the rest has been welded and ground down

003-29.jpg

Lots off bracing to reinforce the clevis's on it as I found a small crack in the other side upon close examination

008-21.jpg

006-25.jpg

007-21.jpg

012-18.jpg

None of your fancy mig welders in our workshop, just a good old Oxford oil cooled

004-31.jpg

I've also been working on the destoner overhaul, still several bits outstanding from the dealers at the moment which i testing my patience as they told us they were all there two weeks ago only for a load of parts to be missing when they arrived on farm ::)

So far I have stripped the disc coulters down and replaced the hubs, bearings, sealing rings and disc coulters themselves, not got the prices to hand at the minute for those few bits but will add them to the topic later in the week, suffice to say just those few bits alone cost a considerable amount even after discount!

The old disc, the other was exactly the same

016-6.jpg

The rebuilt disc coulter assembly, hubs had to be replaced as they were worn allowing them to float in and out knackering the bearings in the process

015-5.jpg

Probably one of the best welders out there as well, Gav. The chaps I went on for grass etc had one. Heavy old lump to move around mind. Needed to be permanently fitted to a trolley really.

Good topper that as well, although my right hand would beg to differ! Are the steel strap plates from the headstock back towards the height wheels nice and curved?!  :laugh: Ours were but never seen one being welded up there before? Did someone turn sharp with the skids dug in the ground or something?

Our welder does have wheels fitted to it which is usefull, only problem with the weder comes when trying to weld really light plate like tractor steps, it can be done but a mig would make it easier.

Yes the straps are bent, have yet to see one with straight ones on it ;D

My thoughts are that its either been caught in the banks going down the road or when topping margins, it is pssible it was done how you say, just something we'll never know, just lucky it split off in the field and not coming down the road. Don't think it'll break again now somehow with all the work I've done to it ;D

see a few comments on what tractor to buy still, i see you are for the n/h, well yes nice machine to drive, were i sub contract have 3 n/h now and just one jd (were all jd 2 years ago) the n/h are nice to drive but all i will say is the dealer is less than 1/2 mile away and boy thats a good job, the 8040 spends more time at the dealers than its on the farm, also the 7030 i drive has had front axle rebuild and rear half shaft seals after 3000hrs along with a host of other stuff, having said that they bought a second hand tm165 and its never missed a beat so far, im not saying go for the deere by any means but i would be warey of n/h, mf have a good foot hold round here, just behind john deere.

nice to see some proper welding gav , those old welders go on for years , my dad taught me to weld with one of those & the penetration you can get is second to none , although the top of a forklift i know, when trying to weld a new air filter pipe to it looks well butchered  :-[ , sometimes the amps won't go as low as you'd like  :(  so there is room for a mig as well  ::) 

matter of fact one chap had put a sticker on the old girl that read ,  unleash the beast  ;D

As promised a couple of posts ago these are the prices for the bits fitted to put the front end of the destoner right for those that may be interested......hope you're sitting down!!!!!

2 x Disc coulters          @ £349.71 each

2 x Hubs                      @ £248.86 each

2 x 6211-2RS bearings    @ £28.87 each

2 x Self aligning bearings @ £67.92 each

4 x Sealing rings            @ £5.81 each

There's some discount on them but even accounting for that the total for just those few bits came to £1292.35, thats without a couple of hours labour and some new nuts and bolts to fit everything........and my contribution to the swear box in doing so :of;D ;D

Our Dell have all gone now, very minimal frost damage on them, they always seem to keep better in our straw bale lined shed with a layer of straw over the top of them than some do in insulated stores. The Saturna and Crisps 4 All don't go for a while yet though but they are in a group storage facility at Thetford. My boss estimates that we are £20,000 down on potato money this year as the yields and sizes were down on the Dell........thats before we get to the sugarbeet side of the cropping