Some of my wee red Nashs

BC

PICT00025.jpg

Returning home from a rally in the 1999 season. The only reason I remember the year was I got that Vectra 2.5 V6 Sri on 1/1/1999 and my Farmall A was laid up from 1999 since restoration of my American Cub was completed in June 2000.

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0001.jpg

PICT000210.jpg

PICT000112.jpg

At a Mearn's rally probably 1999 and I must have won Best International and Best Overall even with an incorrectly painted exhaust. It has been changed to silver now.

PICT00018.jpg

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if I will find the negatives from when I bought my 1941 International Farmall A in the Spring of 1986 from a coal merchant in Anglesey. Three of us left Petercult around 9pm on teh Friday night and was outside the coal merchants yard before 5am the following morning, We planned a snooze but he heard us so he got up and we got loaded and I thing after a cuppa of tea and the exchange of some notes we were on our way back up to Aberdeen. We arrived back at Peterculter mid afternoon and one of my mates nipped the hired trailer back to Kinellar before 5pm so I only had to pay the pricely sum of £ 12 for one days hire ;D  ;D Around a 900 mile journey without sleep for any of the two of us who were driving but I was pleased with my first Nash. It was restored in 1986 and 1987 and attended rallies regularly for the next 13years until my America Farmall Cub became my new rally toy.

P1000147.jpg

P1000148.jpg

P1000149.jpg

P1000150.jpg

Chris the first tractor myself  and my father restored was my grandad's 1957 Nuffield Universal DM4 which was completed in 1981 / 1982 when it was 25 years old. We threw every nut and bolt , stud and washer into a pail.....bad move when we came to put together and I remember we were left with a couple of extra stud's at the end. When it came to the Ransomes MG2 and the Ferguson TEF 20 then the Farmall A and then the two Farmall Cubs studs etc were put in jars and marked...diagrams drawn...photos taken and well the use of parts manuals as well which are very very useful. We learned very quickly don't rely on memory...write it down or have it recorded especially when a restoration like my 1951 American Farmall Cub was done over a four year period.

Been doing a bit more scanning of 35 SLR negatives to disc and found some more of the work done on my non runner 1957 French Farmall Cub since acquired in 1999 and a get running restoration done over the next few years.

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

PICT00042.jpg

PICT000112.jpg

PICT00019.jpg

PICT000114.jpg

Some spare parts were acquired from a chap near Diss in the Summer of 2003. I thought I would do the trip in a day but had to stop off for a nights sleep at Scots Corner on the way home.

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

Although I have posted some pictures of the 4 year restoration of my 1951 Farmall Cub I have now scanned old 35mm negatives to disc for a pictures folder for the DMR show in Cupar in 4 weeks time. I cannot guarantee they are in the exact order of the restoration but it will give people an idea of the work involved in this particular restoration and the way I did it helped by my dad and also his cousin Gordon who was a retired mechanic but had work on tractors as well as cars.

I bought the tractor over the phone unseen or without photos and the first I saw of it was when it arrived at the yard of the then Sandy Bruce Trucking Limited in the Spring  of 2007. The seller said it was all there the only question I did not ask was it partially dismantled...anyway I think only the choke and starter rods were the only parts actually missing...however the tin work and engine was needing a fair bit of TLC....but I was happy with the end result despite spanning 4 years.

PICT000139.jpg

PICT000138.jpg

PICT000230.jpg

PICT000231.jpg

PICT000236.jpg

PICT000235.jpg

PICT000123.jpg

PICT000122.jpg

I always thing best get engine running first and then if that's alright tackle the other parts which need attention.

The petrol tank and bonnet should be one piece but they had been prised apart probably due to engine problems and the tank was attached to the bell hosung by two rather "Heath RTobinson" looking brackets. The tank was in good order and was simply a task of cleaning to bare metal. The bonnet was shot blasted and then after getting an engineering firm to reflange the tank the two were fitted and held together with small bolts and nuts for final fitting before getting the two spot welded together.

PICT00028-1.jpg

PICT00027-1.jpg

PICT00016-1.jpg

PICT0001-1.jpg

Parts were put for shot blasting where possible but not the gearbox or engine or any pasts like that which contained seals. Parts were taken home unprimed rubbed with sandpaper and then a cellulose paint...gosh that stuff can put you on a high ;D  ;D ...after that red oxide enamel paint was applied to cast part. Tin work and the likes were subjected to as many coats of build primer and cellulose putty as required before getting the red oxide treatment.

PICT000244.jpg

PICT000245.jpg

PICT000246.jpg

PICT000247.jpg

PICT000248.jpg

PICT00012-1.jpg

Archived