Some of my wee red Nashs

BC

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oldest tractor we run, is a k reg ford 4000, what is on the scraper.

I've driven one of those at silage time some 30 odd years ago. I have also driven the 5000 and 7000. Now the 7000's were a beast and a half in their day ;) ;) ....after Nashes I suppose I like Fordies the most ;D ;D

Today dad came across about lunchtime after picking up the bits and pieces I had left at the Nicol's Smiddy last Friday.

I should be all set for ploughing with my Ransome's TS 42 A plough at the BA event next May.

Alistair made a ring to fit on to the drawbar but no bolts to fit it on..so I had to raid my stock of bolts  & nuts which ironically came from the Nicol's FOC some 8 years ago when they "rouped out".

I did not want to bore a second hole in the drawbar of my plough so he made a bracket to fit over and clamp it to the spring hitch ;) ;)

24082010001.jpg

24082010003.jpg

24082010004.jpg

24082010002.jpg

Finally I bent a piece of threaded rod to hold the exhaust instead of some welding wire offcuts I got from Alistair since he did not have any rod or taps since all sold at the "roup".

24082010005.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Last night I had a panic attack when I remembered there was no anti-freeze in my French Farmall Cub. The last time i had her started when Brian aka mr softie and his dad visited me on the night of the Stewart Trailer visit.

Thankfully the temperature in the shed had not been below freezing ;D ;D

26112010001.jpg

26112010002.jpg

If I had a snowplough for her I could have hired myself out to the Council today since well they haven't done the pavements today. When I walked to the shop just around 9 am I had to walk on the main road :of :of

• 4 months later...

Yesterday I tried starting my American Cub but there was nothing happened when I tried the starter. I then tried the crank but still no fire. I thought that ruddy battery is done so I put it on charge again and went back to it today. The battery appeared to be fully charged but I have been caught out before so I phoned my mate Stuart to see if he was working and at the yard since he has a tester. Ironically he was disposing of batteries at a scrappie in Aberdeen but he said Kenny was at the yard. Down I went and tested it and it was full up. Kenny tired and same result. Off home and then it clicked when I looked at the terminals there were very dirty looking. I scraped them and then emery clothed then. After that I took out the plugs and cleaned them leaving the last one number one out to check for spark. Well one turn and she started on three plugs 8)

So a lesson learnt here. I then took her for a wee run. She will remain in the garage and get a polish up prior to her first show of the year at Forres in Morayshire.

ST834866.jpg

The cleaned battery posts

ST834864.jpg

I took a photo just in case I had to buy a new battery. Looking back I see this one was bought in July 07 and was £ 61.78 and that was with discount. They really know how to charge for 6 volt batteries.

ST834865.jpg

Yes  I went for a run around the housing estate and she is going like a train Mark. The problem with batteries is ones which are not used a lot i.e. discharged and then recharged don't last so long. This old girl is maybe only out on a maximum of 8 times a year. Some say you should have them on a trickle charge over winter but I'm always scared of fire etc. Although restoration started in 1996 she was only completed late May of 2000 when she got her first new 6 volt battery. This lasted 7 rally seasons but I think after about 4 or 5 it wasn't fit to crank the starter but it was sufficient to supply power to the distributor so I could crank start her. Although she did crank over on the starter today it was the handle she started on. It's rather nice a cool to start on the handle at shows especially with and audience and she starts on the first crank ;) ;) ;)

Yesterday I went into the French Farmall Cub shed filled her with water and gave her one crank and she burst into life. That's one of my Nuffield's old 6 volt batteries on her and the last time she was started was in October or November last year when mr softie aks Brian Stewart was round past me on route to the Stewart trailer evening visit. I was really only testing to see if there was life in the battery and there was 8)

Having said that I have seen me crank and crank that 1941Farmall A of mine with the magneto at times and you get an audience around you likes bees to a honey pot all offering opinions and advice  >:( >:(

Anyway onward and upward for my American Cub's 12th rally season ;) ;) ...I did 13 seasons with my Farmall A so maybe it is time to see about restoring another Farmall.....if only I had the room ;D ;D

Oh Bill... please don't tell me you feel another shed coming on  :of:D :D ..

I'm using a trickle charger on Penny in my garage.. and like you, I am also scared of fire... the charger itself does get bloody hot to the touch and I'm not sure I trust that too much really... I've not yet been brave enough to leave it on for a suitable period of time to see if it cools as the battery reaches maximum charge  :-[???

No worries on the shed front Mark since I still have to complete the Cub one which was started in the Summer of 2009. Only really power line to run in and gutters to put up and then the shelves around the inside for the "shed museum"

If only there were more hours in the day. Even less time now with the rally's starting as well.

• 2 weeks later...

The cause of the non spark and non starting was the new £16 coil which was fitted last year. Anyway I have another second hand one already sprayed and it was tested by temporarily wiring it to the tractor this evening and success there is now spark at the points. All I need to do now is a swap over but that can wait until next week now I know the cause of the problem. Rather annoying  the coil has failed on me in less than a year but can't do much about that.

Well had it been Costco Sean I would have got a full refund :D :D . It was an Ebay purchase and was only £ 12 plus £ 4 courier so I suspect you may only get what you pay for really. I have looked him up again and he still has them for sale at the same price but I'll have a search around to see what else is available since I do like to have spares since it will also do my French Cub.

And yes I'm pleased to know what the problem was despite me thinking it was the condensor which you can't test since well the coil was less than a year old >:( >:(

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I swapped out the year old 6 volt coil on my Farmall Cub with a old second hand one which I have had in stock for years. Not much difference between before and after other than when I switched on the ignition and flicked the points with a screwdriver there was a cracking spark. Then petrol and choke on and she started on the first swing of the handle. I will need to do a little touch up of some nuts and bolts etc but hopefully she will behave herself for Fraserburgh in two weeks time.

ST835602.jpg

and after

ST835603.jpg

I suppose I should source another 6 volt coil but I'll not be buying from last years supplier.

• 1 year later...

Its nearly been two years since my 1941 Farmall has been started and out so today I cleaned the plugs put in some petrol gave her a couple of cranks and she fired up on the second one....music to my ears and well I hope she does that next weekend at the Garioch Rally at Oldmeldrum next Sunday.

P1020931.jpg

P1020932.jpg

A wee video to show she did start and does run ;D ;D

th_P1020933.jpg

Well the rosettes are not all for this one Patrick some will be for my Nuffield, my American Cub and my Ransomes MG 2. I have just used this shed as the "trophy room" ;D ;D

I can't same for sure it came over in 1941 but that was the year it was made. For whatever reason it was not registered for teh road until sometime in 1943.

Misc060708016.jpg

• 4 months later...

In preparation for the DMR show in Fife in 5 weeks time I dug out my 35mm negative scanner and copied a few more photos of Farmall's for the photo folder I doing of Internationals / Farmalls / David Brown's and Case tractors.

I sure I must have photos when I collected my 1957 French Cub but here she is as a non runner and missing a carburetor, front grill, side panels, air cleaner and radiator cap. To this day the air cleaner cap eludes me but one day I hope to find one.

PICT00023.jpg

PICT00022.jpg

PICT00012.jpg

PICT00013.jpg

Archived