Some of my wee red Nashs

BC

These are some of the ones I have in my real size collection.

The one below is a 1941 International Farmall A . The exhaust has now been changed to the correct colour of silver.

And the next is a smaller one a 1951 International Farmall Cub

post-839-132638580349_thumb.jpg

post-839-132638580357_thumb.jpg

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That bottom picture was taken in 2001 in Peterhead  ( a fishing town in the North East of Scotland) at the truck and tractor show as part of Peterhead Scottish week the year after that one was restored. The 3 girls were the gala queen and princeses for that year. Unfortunataly that show only lasted until 2003 for the tractor boys !!!

Some real jems there Bill, good to see that they are still earning their keep on the other side of the pond.  :)

Tim,

They are more of a play thing now... don't like getting the restored ones dirty since takes ages to clean....

Can i ask what is the tractor in your profile picture?

Bill

Couple of beauties there - Look to have been restored extremely well.

Did you do them yourself? :)

I acquired the Farmall A from Anglesey in Wales in 1986 and was restored by myself and father and completed in 1987 and shown at rallies till 1999 when it effectively has been laid up for the American Cub. It was a runner and in not back nick apart from wrong front wheels and magneto. A uncle of mine a mechanic to trade did the values and that was about it. Have had magneto problems over the years but they were finally solved by Andrew Davidson from Berwick upon Tweed who you may know since he is not too far from your neck of the woods. He usually has a stall at the Alnick vintage rally. Andrew has taken me out of many fixes over the years only problem is he stays too far away from me!!

On the America Cub well that was a 4 year project. It was bought unseen over the phone from a guy close to London in the Spring of 1996. It came up on a curtain sider and waiting for the curtain to open was being like on blind date... Oh what a state it was in but basically all parts were in various boxes and tied on to the foot plate and seat with string. I got it for a reasonable price but I have spent quite a bit on it to get it into its present condition. I don't even consider the time element!!

The values in the engine and various seals were replaced by another relation a cousin of my father again another retired mechanic. All the cleaning and other preparation apart form welding were done by myself and my father. The biggest hold up was getting the corect mesh for the front grill and this probably stalled the project by about a year. All the spraying was done by myself however father was good with any cataloying and rubbing down. I have to say the paint is synthetic enamal ,I don't believe in using 2 pack since it wasn't even made when these tractors were produced. I have taken this one to the shows since 2000 and it has picked up quite a few prizes over the years including the Scottish Champion of Champions in the tractor class one year.

Well I think I have rambled on long enough now. I have now run out of space for collecting the real ones hence the reason for switching to models. I still have a French cub with mid mounted mower which is ripe for restoration however I have kept it for going to working day shows.

Ace lookin' tractors Bill  :) Really looking forward to May now  ;)

Neither of these are booked into the BA event Adam however you are welcome to come and see them.

PS I have just discovered I haven't yet booked in my Nuffield or the French Cub ... I must get my skates on...

Lovely pair you've got there, I especially like the Farmall A , one of my favourite old tractors,well done.

Not many Farmall A's in my neck of the woods and that what I like ..  to have something different. Got this one out of Anglesey ( EY 7427 ) 21 years ago. Me and 2 friends hired a trailer and left Aberdeen 9pm on the Friday night with my C reg Cavalier SRI. Arrived in Anglesy 5 in the morning loaded up and paid and arrived back in Aberdeen at 4 in the afternoon. Got the trailer back to the hire place before 5 and was only charged a days hire.... ? 12.00 I recall. Well after that and little sleep we were absolutely exhausted!!!!

Tim,

They are more of a play thing now... don't like getting the restored ones dirty since takes ages to clean....

Can i ask what is the tractor in your profile picture?

Bill

Hi Bill, the picture in my profile is a model Farmall A in 1/16th scale. The Farmall A's and Cubs are still used in this area for doing light jobs on farms and yards with large gardens or lawns. Here are a few pictures of my Uncle's Farmall Cubs.  :)

s

Hi Bill, the picture in my profile is a model Farmall A in 1/16th scale. The Farmall A's and Cubs are still used in this area for doing light jobs on farms and yards with large gardens or lawns. Here are a few pictures of my Uncle's Farmall Cubs.  :)

Nice pictures Tim thanks. I have always fancied getting a pair of headlights to finish my American Cub off. Have you any idea if second hand or even new ones can be obtained in the States?

Bill

s

Nice pictures Tim thanks. I have always fancied getting a pair of headlights to finish my American Cub off. Have you any idea if second hand or even new ones can be obtained in the States?

Bill

I will ask my uncle this weekend Bill, I know that he knows of several places that stock most parts for IH cubs.  :)

What a pair of beauties Bill.. Very nice ineeed.. you have a lovely collection of machinary mate... Are you a farmer  ??? or just a collector with an understanding wife  ???

Marky,

Actually I'm an accountant (bean counter) and a collector of the real tractors and models. No wife hence spare money to spend on such things!!!!

Tractor interest comes from my mothers side who were farmers. I spent a lot of my time on the farm as a kid and in fact have a 1957 Nuffield Universal DM which was purchased new by my late grandfather. I even still have the original purchase invoice for it.

Marky,

Actually I'm an accountant (bean counter) and a collector of the real tractors and models. No wife hence spare money to spend on such things!!!!

Tractor interest comes from my mothers side who were farmers. I spent a lot of my time on the farm as a kid and in fact have a 1957 Nuffield Universal DM which was purchased new by my late grandfather. I even still have the original purchase invoice for it.

Thanks for the info Bill.... I didn't mean to pry (well.... a little perhaps)... can we see some pics of the nuffield then please... Bean counter hey  :D :D - I too am a "shiny arse"  ;):D :D

Marky,

Any pictures Bill? Up till we moved last year I owned a 1963 4/60 that was bought new by my late Father and also a 1948 restored TVO M3, both of which were sold in the 2 years before the move due to no space to keep them :-\

Any pictures Bill? Up till we moved last year I owned a 1963 4/60 that was bought new by my late Father and also a 1948 restored TVO M3, both of which were sold in the 2 years before the move due to no space to keep them :-\

Gavin,

I don't have any digital pictures of my Nuffield DM4 to hand. It hasn't been out for the past 2 years and has remained wrapped in covers ( underneath and above since dust gets everywhere) at the very back of the garage. It didn't get out last year since I was having sore back problems during the show season but she is scheduled to get a few outings this year. I intend driving it to a vintage working day in May 19 and 20th which is about 12 miles away and piggy backing my 1953 French International Cub with mid mounted mower. I will try and get photo's this year and post on the forum. I hope for good weather since not a lot of fun driving these air conditioned cabs in the rain!!!

It's a great pity having to sell something owed by relations but I know storage space is a massive problem for most folk. I'm up to capacity on the real ones hence the switch to model tractors. I hope the roof in my loft is going to be strong enough though!!!!

Thanks for the info Bill.... I didn't mean to pry (well.... a little perhaps)... can we see some pics of the nuffield then please... Bean counter hey  :D :D - I too am a "shiny ass"  ;):D :D

Marky

I will try and get photos this season and post some later on this year

• 1 year later...

Well I had the 3rd International Farmall in my collection out at the weekend to tow my Nuffield out of the garage. Very similar to my American Cub other than different seat front grill and air cleaner. The engines been done and also the clutch and the steering. I thinks its a 1953 model but I still need to verify. These were made in France in this style until 1957. I 'm planning to leave her as she is so I can use her as a working girl.

Misc050508005.jpg

Archived