Some of my wee red Nashs

BC

I think I'd wear my slippers Bill so as not to get the floor dirty  :D :D - it's a real credit to you that's all I can say... you and John Cranston... you both have such well kept kit (and facilities)...

Pleasure to see and appreciate - I won't show you my garage... it's a tip  :-[:o

Oh Mark tips I would be in my element rummaging around in those... its amazing what one can find ;D ;D

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well last night I picked up this "shop tool" from my father who's friend made it for me. It's a dolly for riveting on blade sections on my finger bar mower. I just happened to mention to the maker "Big Dod" that I remember we used dolly's for riveting at metal work at school. The blade I'm going to rivet on a new section to is the same principal as the blades used in the modern day combines. I don't suppose farmers have time to rivet on blade sections in a harvest breakdown ??? ??? Certainly when I was on a JD combine this year and a blade sheared it wasn't riveted but was fixed with a small nut and bolt ;) ;)

I like to do this properly though ;D ;D

2392008003.jpg

2392008004.jpg

BA2008087-1.jpg

Make sure you wire brush the bar then Bill.... the slightest bit of muck under it will make it work loose again and break  ;) - we had a dedicated press for these at Weatherheads.... I spent a lot of time repairing knives on that machine... it had one section to 'shear off' the old blade... a punch to remove the rivet from the bar and a fixed dolly like yours to press the new one on - not the most 'riveting job'  :D :D ;D:-[

Most combines now have a Schumaker blade and hence why they are held with nuts and bolts (they are double edged sections too) - instead of rivest we sometimes used old galvanised nails with just the head on them and beat them in with a hammer for our mowing bar ;)

Make sure you wire brush the bar then Bill.... the slightest bit of muck under it will make it work loose again and break  ;) - we had a dedicated press for these at Weatherheads.... I spent a lot of time repairing knives on that machine... it had one section to 'shear off' the old blade... a punch to remove the rivet from the bar and a fixed dolly like yours to press the new one on - not the most 'riveting job'  :D :D ;D:-[

Thanks for the advice Mark ... only the one to do so hopefully I should not get too bored ;) ;)

I don't suppose it is worth getting Big Dod to make me a dedicated press though ;D ;D

Most combines now have a Schumaker blade and hence why they are held with nuts and bolts (they are double edged sections too) - instead of rivest we sometimes used old galvanised nails with just the head on them and beat them in with a hammer for our mowing bar ;)

Never thought of those Colm but I suppose those would do the trick too... probably softer and easier to hammer than a rivet too

• 9 months later...

Well this moorning it was time to get my Farmall Cub out and started in preparation for the forthcoming rallies. Battery fully charged points and rotor arm given a clean and she burst into life. Has beemn started since mid September last year so it wa time for a run up the hill road since it was such a nice sunny morning.

Various021.jpg

Various022.jpg

Various023.jpg

Probably not as shiny Mark but at least I have stuck to using synthetic enamel paint instead of the two pack stuff which a lot of restorers outsource to professional paint sprayers. I like to do as much as I can myself after all that is the buzz of restorations in my opinion.

The wooded sheds are just tongue and groove linings but in between there is glass wool and then there is MDF board to line or whatever type of boarding I had available and cheap at the time. The shed where this one stayed this last wintter was made as my spraying shed so there is ventilation too where the two extractor fans are. Being in individual sheds I don't cover but I have to for the Nuffield which is kept in the garage and prone to dust flying around.

Awesome machine Bill, what year did you say she was?????  We had one on our vineyard just a sweet baby....

Thanks Rick she's is a 1951 American model and run as sweet as anything. Didn't look that way when i first bought he though.

AMCUB049.jpg

Various023.jpg

Here is my 1957 French one still in working clothes

BA2008068.jpg

You going to restore your french verison bill?

No I suspect not Nick since I like to use her at our annual working weekend.

What I have restored is

Engine - values faced and seats cut. Pistons and rings out and bores rehoned

Steering done

New clutch thrust bearing.

It would not be a massive task to cosmetically restore but then I would need to buy another for playing with and I'm tight on storage space these days.

• 1 month later...

Well Saturday afternoon and it was time to wake up my 1941 International Farmall A and give her a tweak and get her ready for the local rally next Sunday at Milton of Crathes.

09082009004.jpg

Took the plugs out and gave them a quick clean ( were not really bad since new set went in last year ) off the distributer cap and rotor and in a bit further and gave the points a rub with a nail file. Added 1/4pint oil 1/2 gallon of petrol  and the moment of truth who easy will she be able to start after almost a year ??? ???

Well dad was there and he offerred top crank leaving me to tweak the chock and throttle. Boy was I a happy chappy second crank and she burst into life. Away for a run now ;) ;)

09082009005.jpg

09082009006.jpg

09082009007.jpg

09082009008.jpg

well bill cant think why i havent been in here for a look see before but i have now & have thoroughly enjoyed the pics & the narative for them,now i see how the tractors fit in the shed i don't feel quite as daft as i once did , as did wonder how you fitted tractors into them  :-\

Thanks John amazing what a piece of sandpaper and a spray of WD40 can do ;) ;) The rally on Saturday was wet and muddy  with rain all day Friday and until luntime Saturday. There was no chance of me getting car and trailer through the main gate without stuicking so I just went along on Sunday with the car and parked up outside. Pictures of the show to follow next week.

• 10 months later...

Well my 1951 Farmall Cub let me down last Friday by not starting...well it did but only on 3 cylinders. My own fault totally and in the 11 years she has been restored I have only left the ignition on once in year one but twice this year and given the 6 volt coil a real roasting...9 hours the first time and around 2 hours the second time.

Never mind all my own fault and things don't last for ever. I ordered a 6 volt coil last Saturday morning for £ 12  £ 4 P&P and it was posted on Monday and I got it from my neighbore Rob aka 89 BC ( "laugh out loud" :) at that Porsche G3 wind up yet ) on Tuesday afternoon when I came home.

Gave it a coat of red oxide primer this morning be-for setting off for work and left it in airing cupboard all day.

22062010023.jpg

22062010024.jpg

22062010025.jpg

23062010001.jpg

:)

Old Delco coil which has done well over the past 10 years since restoration completed on first Saturday in June 2000 ;) ;)

23062010002.jpg

Testing the fitting of a second hand call I bought at the Mearns Rally at Auchenblae a long long time ago,,,,I know it works since I r=tried it on my unrestored French Cub ;) ;)

23062010003.jpg

New 6 volt coil fitted but with protruding braket

23062010004.jpg

New coil marked and trimmed

23062010005.jpg

Used the very useful tool the hand nibbler to cut off the unwanted parts of the new coil bracket so it would blend in with support bracket ;) ;)

23062010006.jpg

Smaller bolts and nuts and washers and spring washers need if new 6 volt coil to be use which I think will be the best option at £ 16 delivered. The last new one I bought was from Bertie Dunlop for My French Cub and that one was £22 but then again that was back circa 1999 / 2000. Six volt stuff including batteries ( as I know for my Nuffield ) are very expensive due to lack of demand these days.

23062010007.jpg

Old 6 Volt Coil remove with Delco embossed on the coil...shame but if totally of no use I may cannibalise and see if I can get metal casing to fit around another coil. I need to get my auto electrician Harvey Sutherland to test with and OHM's tester or something like that :-\ :-\

23062010008.jpg

And finally another collection of mine.... 6 volt ignition coil...all three of them ;) ;)

23062010009.jpg

do you still want any parts for your french farmall cub because i know somewhere in france with quite but he struggles to get parts to fix them up there

Yes I do Jack...various things....I drop you a PM tomorrow.......must get spraying done on these coils ;) ;)

Last night did a second coat of red oxide on the new coil and also 1 st coat on the studs, nuts, washers and spring washers. Before doing that I like to put the paint in a bucket of boiling water ;) ;)

24062010001.jpg

Spray coil standing on its end then hook up to spray the end

24062010002.jpg

Have to watch and not blow away the nuts and washers because they are light and not very big hence the stick with row of nails ;) ;)

24062010003.jpg

Archived