Some of my wee red Nashs

BC

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep.. I can handle that Bill... I'm always getting sworn at anyway... that Mrs F has a foul mouth at times  >:(:o:D :D

Touch wood Mark they are never too much bother apart from my 1941 Farmall A which is petrol paraffin and the old magneto for the spark. I need to get that one dug out shortly. I've entered it for the local rally at Milton of Crathes which is only 5 miles from me. These P/P ones are never much bother starting from cold but boy of boy they don't like to be started between hot and cold. ;D ;D

Well last night was so miserable I didn't get out for my usual walk however decided to give the wee nash a polish in preparation for the show on Sunday at Fraserburgh.

Misc290508005.jpg

WOW... look at the shine on her... what a beauty...

Who did the spray job on her Bill... she's a real peach mate  :P

Me myself I did the spraying Mark... I don't outsource anything I can do myself ;D ;D. Loads of filler primer followed by red oxide then numerous top costs of PPG poly syn enamel paint. I don't believe in using 2 pack paint since would never have been used in that era. Oh there was a lot of rubbing down in between coat to get rid of nasty runs etc ;) ;)

It was completed almost 8 years ago to the day. I was still finishing her off for the Fraserburgh show on the Saturday evening back in 2000.

Me myself I did the spraying Mark... I don't outsource anything I can do myself ;D ;D. Loads of filler primer followed by red oxide then numerous top costs of PPG poly syn enamel paint. I don't believe in using 2 pack paint since would never have been used in that era. Oh there was a lot of rubbing down in between coat to get rid of nasty runs etc ;) ;)

It was completed almost 8 years ago to the day. I was still finishing her off for the Fraserburgh show on the Saturday evening back in 2000.

Here here ! - well said Bill... I share your sentiments exactly...

As for the paint job... you've got some talent there Bill... she shines like a new pin  :o;)

• 3 weeks later...

Well there were no shows for me to attend this weekend so on Sunday afternoon I thought it was time to look out my 1941 International Farmall A. This old girl was acquired from Anglesey in Wales in 1986 and restoration completed in time for the 1987 rally season. For the next 13 years from 1987 to 1999 she attended rallies allover Scotland and won the overall Champion of Champion's cup for best tractor in 1998 / 1989 / 1990 / 1992 / 1993 and finally in 1998. The year 2000 saw the completion of the 4 year restoration of my 1941 International Farmall cub so I'm afraid apart from attending 3 shows in 2000 along side her younger cousin she has been put on the back boiler for some years. In fact the last show she attended was at Milton of Crathes Banchory in 2005. Well weather permitting she will be going along the 5 miles up the road to the Deeside Steam and Vintage Rally at Milton of Crathes in August of this year.

The first thing to do after sitting a while is clean the plugs. They didn't really need it because I remember now a new set was fitted after the 2005 show when she refused to start for the journey home. Turned out there was one duff plug. Next always important to give the points a rub with a nail file to remove any of the "verdigrease" that builds up on them through time. Failure to do that can "hammer" the condensor. Next top up with fuel petrol for starting and ease her down the ramps before attempting to start. Well you have got to crank these slow to get the impulse spark from the magneto and on the second half crank she gave a fire. Dad now on the starting handle and me on the choke and throttle and bang on the 4 or 5th half crank she burst into life. Now away for a run and would you believe it a small spit of rain came on.

Misc290608009.jpg

CopyofMisc290608001.jpg

CopyofMisc290608002.jpg

Misc290608003.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

You've had that before as well.  ;);D

Yes John I first won that shield in 2000 the year the Cub was restored. My father took the Cub over that year and I took my 1941 International Farmall A which won the perpetual shield for the pre 1951 tractor so we kinda got the "grand slam" at Oldmeldrum that year. The Cub has been on the scene for 8 years now so next year I'm think of taking the A back out on the circuit since it is a shame only taking it up to Banchory once a year providing the show isn't cancelled because of the rain. Although they get a the "full MOT treatment" by the judges at this rally the committee tend to "carve up" and alter results since they don't like the same folk winning all the time. That's why you will see no one ever wins three consecutive years ;D ;D

Well done Bill, you will soon need a bigger house for all the trophies  :D :D :D :D

robbo

Don't even think I even won't to think about going that route Mike. I was up in the loft last night with the intent to photograph some of my Britain's straw box models since I'm planning to get photographic evidence of all my models. Sods law isn't it but the models you want are always in the bottom boxes or at the back and you have to move around half a dozen boxes to get to where you want. I got that done but was frustrated and think the best thing would be to photograph box by box and then sort out the photograph by box type later ;) ;). Anyway I was looking around and I thought some day I'm going to have a clear up and stop hoarding since you cannot get moved in the loft. I did however stumble on 2 boxes of old farming books from the 50's and 60's so that kept me occupied for the rest of the evening since I could not get anything done outside. So in answer to you Mike ... No i don't need a bigger house it would takes days to shift the loft sheds and garage contents ;D ;D ;D

• 4 weeks later...

Well whilst on holiday I decided it was time to actually age my French farmall Cub. In the absence of anyone being able to age it from the French serial number plate drastic measures had to be taken to remove a rear tyre and see what was lurking under the rim

My patent tyre breaker

3182008133.jpg

3182008134.jpg

What a sod of a tube to get out it was rusted solid to the rim centre

3182008135.jpg

3182008136.jpg

3182008137.jpg

3182008138.jpg

Great pics Bill... I love a nosey around your workshops as well.. so well kept  :o :o - just like your tractors really... thanks for sharing..

She was almost a 'financial year end' tractor then  :)

You are welcome to have a nosey round any time Mark... just rememebr to bring your MF boiler suit so it can get messed up  ;D ;D

I think I'd wear my slippers Bill so as not to get the floor dirty  :D :D - it's a real credit to you that's all I can say... you and John Cranston... you both have such well kept kit (and facilities)...

Pleasure to see and appreciate - I won't show you my garage... it's a tip  :-[:o

Archived