Which trailer?

jdc

I'm thinking about a new trailer and for various reasons it comes down to an Marston Ace10 (http://www.mas-trailers-group.co.uk/product_ace.html)or a Marshall QM11 (http://www.marshall-trailers.co.uk/)

Both are roughly the same money and both have hyd. back door and super singles as standard - not silage.

Mini colour war here, but which one?  :)

Hi John,

Out of the two trailers you have shortlisted I would go for the Marston every time and not go any where near the Marshall.  In my previous job over the winter I spent a lot of time looking at rival manufacturers trailers and the Marshall was really bottom of the bunch, certainly aspects such as welding and paint was extrememly poor.  Certainly some of the welding is the stuff only Stevie Wonder would be proud of!

However, before you go and spend your cash I do know that Ktwo Sales have a 10t. trailer in stock which should be priced competitively.  Give Paul a ring on 01844 299290 if you fancy.

Good luck

Pete

the AW trailers are handy trailers john , or are they not in production now , job to keep up with the pace of things , or seeing as yer all up there , the stewart trailers are very well built  :)

dont buy either, get a stewart, go to www.stewart-trailers.co.uk high paint and build quality and they easily carry the weight they are designed for and some. have a look at the customer feedback on the site, says it all really :)

Those STEWART trailers look nearly up to my cousin's standard- J H FORD trailers, for the last 30 yrs he's been making the best value for money trailers we have seen nationally, for instance 20 yrs ago his tandem rocking beam axles were 3" bushed & greasable, whereas the Collins/Marshall/Norton ones were no more than 1 1/4" dry with much thinner bodies ones. All the contractors worth their salt round here and the best farmers have them still.He custom builds every one, for instance we got him to put the horizointal side bracing channel, that you see on the Stewart alongside the BIG X, facing out to increase the capacity which he has subsequently done - hey it adds another 5cwt or so of grain capacity for no extra cost. His 9 tonne trailer held more than a 12 tonne one from another national make we had come in one day on a long silage run Another contractor had 14 tonnes of earth over a weighbridge in his 8 tonner!

Id look at a richard weston 14tonne the tow nicely, and the sprung drawbars really make a difference in road transport

And turn over very easily on ground that is even slightly uneven >:(

Thanks for the discussion folks :)

The Stewart would be first choice but price (for me) excludes them.

Richard Weston is a bit of an unknown quantity round here.

Just had a look at Ktwo website - new one to me, but food for thought ;)

AW are still on the go.  ;)

Any more info on your cus' trailers Nigel?

My Ace 8 is 20 years old and still straight and tidy so it's the devil I know. The Marshall is now welded by robot and 'appears' to be better and is heavier steel than AS.....it's also same volume as AS12 tonner.

Then there are tyre choices too.... :(

Thanks agan.

It's Richard Western, ACE and AW round here John. Every farm I have worked on has had ACE trailers both in 10t agri tyre spec, 12t s/singles and 14t s/singles. It's the contractos who have the Westerns although one is shifting over to the big Bailey's now. The best I have used is a Richard Larrington but their also for big company purchases I feel. Anyone know much about Easterby?

Like you said mate, better the devil you know.  :)

farm had ace 10's ,2 of them, never had any probs with them, may look cheap build wise, but they lasted well, didnt rust either ,although they did coat them with old oil out of summer season, and park them up in the back of the barn

We have just bought a second hand AS Marston 14 tonner and she is sound and very well built trailer apart from tht the brakes are cooked so having to put new ones in.  Its build quality is excellent will soon see how well it tracks with harvest coming up

farm had ace 10's ,2 of them, never had any probs with them, may look cheap build wise, but they lasted well, didnt rust either ,although they did coat them with old oil out of summer season, and park them up in the back of the barn

A lot of it how they are looked after at the end of the day.  ;)

We have just bought a second hand AS Marston 14 tonner and she is sound and very well built trailer apart from tht the brakes are cooked so having to put new ones in.  Its build quality is excellent will soon see how well it tracks with harvest coming up

Aye, I did look at good second hand trailers but they make a good new price. It's amazing how many require a new set of shoes/drums just after a few years. I clean out the drums and Copaslip the mechanism before harvest every year to allow my assistant to leave big black marks on the road.  :D

On that note the Marshall has way bigger brakes..... :D

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the discussion folks :)

The Stewart would be first choice but price (for me) excludes them.

Richard Weston is a bit of an unknown quantity round here.

Just had a look at Ktwo website - new one to me, but food for thought ;)

AW are still on the go.  ;)

Any more info on your cus' trailers Nigel?

My Ace 8 is 20 years old and still straight and tidy so it's the devil I know. The Marshall is now welded by robot and 'appears' to be better and is heavier steel than AS.....it's also same volume as AS12 tonner.

Then there are tyre choices too.... :(

Thanks agan.

Hi John, sorry for the delayed response,...been away for several days. Give Johnathan a ring on 01435 830241, I don't know if he has a website, though I'm sure he'll send pics and quotes according to your spec.

I have two Marshalls a QM10 and a BC25 and have no complains about either of them. Up in the far North the most common trailers are Herron, Marshall and Redrocks. Down in the area where I used to live there were a lot of Marshall, Fraser, Bailley and a few Stewarts were creeping in on the scene too