Some poor old classic John Deeres ahh bless!

AndyB

Took these a couple of weeks back on what could only be described as a tractor spotters dream farm where I have a few Ha of peas.  Now you could either feel sorry for them or have a good laugh I am sure that there will be the odd opinion or two ;)

post-36-13263860476_thumb.jpg

just like any other farm i supose , the older tractors get pensioned off to do the less glamourous jobs , but small farms have small tractors & big farms have big tractors , the lowly jobs still remain the same & still need something to do them with :(

It is a shame realy.  I remember spending many an hour flat-lifting with an hydraulic front wheel drive 4440.  Light years ahead when it was made and an absolute pleasure to drive.  Because it was an american import the air conditioning could have stopped the ice cap from melting!  (You could argue that these things contribute to the latter ::))

Although I'm not a green fan I do aggree with most in that these classics do want maintaining, so that when they eventually come up for restoration, it isn't too much of a job.  It still shows that there are many a find out on farm for the serious enthusiast/restorer.

Is there much of a collectors market in the UK for machines this size? they don't really fit in a garage :-\

The second picture down looks like the axle is broken/missing....will it really be repaired? ???

I don't know if there is much of a market for them (look at Wagners and the like) but still they would be worth maintaining for the horse power alone.  In good nick they would still be more than capable of a hard days work.  As for they one with the drive shaft gone - who knows.... will let you know.

as long as they're repairable they can be worked & treated as an investment , it's only when collectors start to buy then the investment turns into an expence  :-\

Good point, I am trying to find a way of applying that comment to women........... ;)

Good point, I am trying to find a way of applying that comment to women........... ;)

Exactly the same as cars Andy. Whn you own a car you always keep an eye on the free-ad, the forecourts etc. When the time is right you trade in  :D