What kind of hitch is this?

ihatepoundland

I think it is a pressure control hitch. These units were atached on the 3pt linkage with a chain underneath the trailer drawbar, when the tractor started to struggle pulling the trailer, like up-hill or across soft ground, you opperated it by raising the hydraulic lever which raised the drawbar of the trailer by means of the chain to take the weight off the back of the tractor. Thats the principle anyway. I believe that Ferguson were the only tractor manufacturer to do this as all the ones I have come across are Fergy made.

In the pic on the first posting the hitch is not complete. in the middle you will see that there is a sort of ball-joint, there should be another triangular sort of arm that extends back to hitch the chain to the trailer or implement. There is a pic of this unit in one of the later MF books, I will see if I can scan it and post it up.

Found it. This is an earlier one on the back of a 178 hitched to a set of discs. Not a very good pic but you will get the general idea.

MFPressureControl.jpg

The pressure control hitch on the 500 series is complete, you can see the arm with the break-away ball coupler in the middle , but swung slightly towards the camera. The hitch shown in the second photo is a heavier duty version ,fitted to some larger tractors.

The pressure control hitch on the 500 series is complete, you can see the arm with the break-away ball coupler in the middle , but swung slightly towards the camera. The hitch shown in the second photo is a heavier duty version ,fitted to some larger tractors.

Knew I was on the right lines.  :)

Thats a 1080 Mr PR  ;)

Yes it's a pressure control coupling.... as expalined... it puts pressure on the wheels by taking the weight of any trailed implement... superb idea.. and it worked a treat as well....  ;)

I did a "lesson" on here recently ... I'll see if I can find the topic  :)

great little tractor ;) were my dad works has a 575 on a w reg but is a single door with silver cab yet a farmer down the road has a 575 w reg with a cab like the one pictured, why are they different? are some french and the others from coventry :-\ i could be up for a numpty if its a simple answer

Originally all 500 series cabs were single door, Massey added the extra door, later in production, after complaints from customers. Most if not all two door cabs were all red, French production 500's can be identified by double steps to the cab instead of single steps as on Coventry built tractors.