At Work with Big A

Big A

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the helicopters are doing trips offshore to oil rigs, mostly taking workers back and fore for shift changes, occasionally there are cargo flights as well.

not sure of the reasons but the pilots seem to be running the choppers for about 20 mins before they load with passengers then take off, i presume its to ckeck everthing is working before they take off.

when 1 comes back in it usually unloads with passengers and then picks up a different lot without switching off.

hope this makes sense tris :-\

spot on mate, the mod pilots do it as well ,kind of a standard thing with choppers, first time a planes turned on for the day they tend to leave them running for 15 mins or so as well ,same reason, i can here them down here in plymouth airport early some morns ,we have bond copters down here, they do the basic hele training for the mod now, and flights moving personel arround between warships for the flag officer sea training bit in devonport

There are 3 helicopter companies that fly offshore from aberdeen bond who are contracted just to BP. Bristow and CHC Scotia. I have flown from bristow and CHC scotia to offshore. CHC have a deutz for deicing. They also have a couple of new hollands for moving the helicopters around. I have only flown on the super puma but they use other types as well.

There are 3 helicopter companies that fly offshore from aberdeen bond who are contracted just to BP. Bristow and CHC Scotia. I have flown from bristow and CHC scotia to offshore. CHC have a deutz for deicing. They also have a couple of new hollands for moving the helicopters around. I have only flown on the super puma but they use other types as well.

the deutz at chc is my bosses as well ;), think there will be 2 deutz's there if the snow comes. the area is too much to cover with just one scraper.

So now I know who was to blame for me getting offshore all those time it was snowing and I thought I would get a couple extra days at home :P  :P

Yeah it is a huge area scotia what do bristows have for their scraping and deicing, at scatsta in shetland they have a couple big massey's cannot remember the numbers and also a John deere again cannot remember the number as it was september 2005 last time I flew from there.

My brothers father in law is one of the nightshift engineers at scotia and they all have a play on the new hollands and the golf carts ;D

No nice tractors on my current job in azerbaijan just old russian tractors. One old for with a 25ft marshal trailer. All the construstion gear is volvo and cat.

I work as a contractor for a major oil company on an onshore oil terminal. The site is 730 hectares in total. It is one of the largest oil and gas terminals in the world and is produceing 1 million barrels a day of oil that is pumped through azerbaijan, georgia and turkey to a port in the med called cheyan.

is that ur tm big a  :)

no the tm is my bosses, its kind of a spare tractor at the moment so it can be left in the airport.

Nice wee set up with the Ares mate........What was the snow up your way like........ ???:)

snow came to nothing. by the time i had brushed the first strip at 4am friday, the rain came on. the worsed thing i did was start brushing as i had to keep going to get rid of the slush and the drains couldn't take it. >:( the half of the pad that i didnt brush cleared itself in no time.

what was it like down your way mart?

no the tm is my bosses, its kind of a spare tractor at the moment so it can be left in the airport.

snow came to nothing. by the time i had brushed the first strip at 4am friday, the rain came on. the worsed thing i did was start brushing as i had to keep going to get rid of the slush and the drains couldn't take it. >:( the half of the pad that i didnt brush cleared itself in no time.

what was it like down your way mart?

We had a fair few showers on and off throughout the day........It was worst at around 2pm when the A90 slowed down for a bit but it didn't last and was soon turning to slush around the farm yard as we moved around with the tractor and telehandler........Had a wee sprinkling again this morning but nothing to cause much trouble........

• 2 months later...

its all clear now rob ;)

yesterday was a nightmare only described as peeing in the wind, everytime i got the pad almost clear another shower would come on and i would have to start again, and with the added bonus of the snow blowing out of the brush back on to the clear parts it wasnt going well. all that snow and by night it had all melted and dried up.

Was there many delays with the choppers yesterday?

a few delays, a couple of cancellations due to bad weather offshore.

Are those BAA Unimogs Andy? I'll bet they have done much work or maybe they are quite an age ???

not sure on the age bill, there all Q plates if i remember correctly one of them is the newer syle unimog, there is also a bedford unit with the brush trailer.