Two Sister?s Farm

Tellarian

Thank you gentlemen for your kind comments, I won?t do much more to the tree just add a bit of Wooland Scenics mid green foliage. This is to hide the fact that as well as being glued to baseboard with PVA wood glue, there is a fine copper wire securing it to the back scene. This I hope will help prevent damage when I take the layout to shows.

The barn is as you say msx driver a much kit bashed Britains kit, which I think is based on an Atcost prototype, but I?m guessing. The profile of the roof supports is identical to some barns near where I live here in Northamptonshire. It?s a versatile kit which I cut down in length to suit the space I have on the model. It is glued not screwed together and the hollow roof supports have been filled with Polyfilla then sanded down and painted. I have added a plain back made of plasticard and painted matt black to disguise the fact the barn has no real depth. One side will be a workshop for servicing the tractors and implements and the other a store for unused equipment.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

p1010003os9.jpg

p1010004lr5.jpg

The tree is finally finished and I?ve made a modification to the barn. I?ve glued some long grass around the tree roots, it?s the old shaving brush really. The extra glue on the grass will help make the tree more secure. I checked some photographs of an asbestos barn and had not noticed that the gutters are asbestos as well, I?d assumed they were metal. The down pipes are plastic now but would have been metal in the early 50?s.

Steam engine on a train of side dump hoppers these are used to take muck from the pig sties and cow sheds out to the fields.

Yes I know the Fordson standard should be painted orange, but they were this colour on a farm I lived near as a lad.

You would need a seriously large handbag to get it in Sue.

The layout is being shown at the Northampton model railway exhibition at Moulton, which is very near to me and not a million miles from Andover. It's a pleasant trip up through Oxford, Brackley etc. Why not make the trip.

You would need a seriously large handbag to get it in Sue.

The layout is being shown at the Northampton model railway exhibition at Moulton, which is very near to me and not a million miles from Andover. It's a pleasant trip up through Oxford, Brackley etc. Why not make the trip.

When is the exhibition?  As you say not a million miles from me especially as I am only about 14 miles from Newbury and the A34.

PLEASE don't say next weekend.

As for the handbag - I can fit a dozen eggs in boxes into it and I think it has the secret of the fourth dimension.  A Tardis, in fact.

Ooops I'm getting dodery in my old age, The date for the show is 1st March 2008 at Moulton School which is near the A43. It would be nice if you could make it. I will let you have a drive if you like, steam or diesel it's up to you.

Ooh that is an offer I simply cannot refuse.  Steam please. :-*

Date now inserted in my diary.

p1010006oa7.jpg

p1010007mf5.jpg

A couple more views of the two tone Davenport and its train of side tippers. I think just a bit of light work staining rather than heavy weathering is called for on the little diesel. I?m putting some more bits of long grass and a few items of farmyard clutter under the tree as well, but I don?t want  to over do it.

I am experimenting with a coffee cup wrapper to represent corrugated iron, there always seems a bit of this about on farms.

• 4 weeks later...

p1010018ul2.jpg

I have been unusually busy at work recently so have made little progress on the model. I have however managed to make a small coaling stage and a water tower. The little Barclay is painted the same colour as my little Sidelines Wasp and I think looks ok, it?s  Rock Island red really. I still can?t get over how well it runs. The grey implement in the barn is the Tamiya field kitchen, I will partly cover it with a tarpaulin to hide its true identity.

More pictures soon. 

p1010019rw4.jpg

A start has been made lining the barn with balsa wood. The work bench and some shelving are going into this side eventually.

The water tower needs another coat of paint then a little rust colour here and there. The rising main pipe is supposed to be insulated to prevent freezing, it is masking tape and cotton bands. This too needs painting a sort of sacking colour I think.

The Fordson New Major tractor is a diesel and on trial  from the local dealer.

The corrugated iron is a coffee cup holder from work painted silver then rusted with various acrylics.

p1010022cv9.jpg

A view showing the whole thing in our conservatory, but without the fiddle yard.

I have added a few more bits of Woodland Scenics Foliage Clusters. It comes in a piece rather like a green sponge, you break off little pieces with your fingers and glue them on with PVA. It is supposed to be used on model railways for clumps of trees I think.

I have five exhibition dates now starting in Crewe in January 2008 but your drive is booked Sue at Northampton.

I have added a few more bits of Woodland Scenics Foliage Clusters. It comes in a piece rather like a green sponge, you break off little pieces with your fingers and glue them on with PVA. It is supposed to be used on model railways for clumps of trees I think.

I have five exhibition dates now starting in Crewe in January 2008 but your drive is booked Sue at Northampton.

I know the stuff - Woodland Scenics use it on their own trees of all sizes.  I just KNEW you had expanded the canopy

Thanks Tris, the corrugated iron is actually a paper wrapper for holding hot coffee, I found some by accident at work. What I did was, first paint both sides with Humbrol Silver paint and let dry. Then using Anita?s all purpose acrylic paint Earth brown and Christmas red, mix a little of each together. Paint this on randomly, then  add a little black to darken  the red and brown mix. Experiment on a piece of scrap, first wet paint in places then dry brush over later. It is easier to do than explain. Leave some areas of silver showing.

p1010020ni0.jpg

I have done a little more work on the green house it still needs more though, I?m working from a very small photograph. Potatoes were chitted in boxes in this and then tomatoes were grown in there during the summer.

I am going to model the tomatoes growing, I think it will look more interesting than boxes of potatoes. How tall are commercially grown tomato plants?

The rail truck now has a driver an ex German soldier whose helmet I have filed down to look like a cap.

Really beautiful... a work of art really :)

Its the detail I love and I really WANT that tree. 

It will be on display in March next year and I am looking for a handbag that is small enough to look like a handbag but big enough inside to swallow the tree whole.  If you come across any tiny handbags with Tardis capability I would like one.

(PS don't tell Broadoak or he will screw it in place or put an alarm on it)

p1010023hv3.jpg

You ladies will make me blush.

The Barclay shunting a wagon load of potatoes to make up a train before heading off to the standard gauge connection. The rolled up blind on the cab side is a piece of masking tape wrapped round a length of brass wire with copper wire ties.

You ladies will make me blush.

The Barclay shunting a wagon load of potatoes to make up a train before heading off to the standard gauge connection. The rolled up blind on the cab side is a piece of masking tape wrapped round a length of brass wire with copper wire ties.

Blush away - I still LOVE that tree!

p1010021ug3.jpg

At the risk of boring everyone to death a slightly different view showing the little Barclay diesel with one wagon in tow passing a Fordson Major outside the Britains barn. The rail truck is parked outside the greenhouse by a homemade wagon loaded with sacks of potatoes.

Archived