Two Sister?s Farm

Tellarian

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I clear up a little misunderstanding. The layout is called Two Sister?s Farm and is named after our two cats. Rosie who is black and white and Amy who is tortoiseshell. The picture shows them both looking out of the lounge window.

I think Steve when he started the thread called it Crossover farm because it combined a model railway with a collection of  model tractors.

racg0.jpg

TWO SISTER?S  FARM  WILL BE AT TOYTRAC IN OCTOBER 2008

I have received an invitation from Steve to show Two Sisters at Toytrac next year and have accepted his kind invitation. If any of you who have been following the thread on the forum visit the show please say hello, it?s nice to put a face to a name.

I will post some more pictures of progress soon.

p1010001km9.jpg

p1010002dl0.jpg

I have after some experimentation added a KD coupler to the front of both the  trucks. This makes them a little more versatile and I think they look quite good towing one or two wagons. They can also be used to shunt the yard ready for either the Davenport, Barclay or the Porter to take the made up train to the standard gauge interchange. It?s another legitimate reason for shuffling wagons round the yard. These first shots illustrate the Chevrolet with the Davenport on shed and the wasp on a hopper train. The chevy then pushes a couple of wagons out of the yard.

The greenhouse is a basic brick foundation made of 1/35 scale Italeri walling. The glass is clear plasticard and the rest is styrene sheet, L shaped strip or plain strips. I roughly got the proportions from a book about the potato railways of Lincolnshire. It was a pretty large structure as it had a 2 foot gauge light railway running along its entire length.

I hope this helps William.

Looking down on the yard with the Davenport on shed and the little Wasp on a train of side tippers, these will be loaded with muck from the cowsheds to take to the fields.

The Chevrolet is about to push a couple of wagons out to one of the fields to do some repairs on a tractor or implement.

p1010004zv7.jpg

A moody picture showing some early morning activity. More pictures of the Porter steam engine with problems to follow. The Opel Blitz truck is setting off to the fields to do a bit of on site welding.

The hut is waiting to be detailed inside so it is just painted plain grey and not much to see. I think the door must be stuck that?s why the man in grey is still outside.

p1010009jc2.jpg

p1010007qu3.jpg

?I?d only just opened the regulator when I heard this clonking sound.? The Porter with a problem. The two mechanics bending ( Tamiya figures ) are in primer and in the throes of being modified. They should be ok as they?ve got their Snap-On red tool box.

I?m not sure about the drivers footwear, boots would be more appropriate than tennis shoes I would have thought. His feet are yet to be painted.

p1010008il5.jpg

They are from 1/35 scale Tamiya Military Miniature series No 180

German Tank Engine Maintenance crew Set About ?7. Is this any help?

yes saw one of those today, thanks for that, been after some half decent working figures for the layout for a while now

I?ve added some rudimentary buffer stops, just bits of log really but I think they will do the job. You can see the end of the track that ran the length of the greenhouse.

Sacks of potatoes  and bales of straw on the loading dock having been brought in earlier.

The Opel Bilitz is waiting for the train of V tippers to clear the points so that he to can leave the yard pushing a couple of wagons.

p1010010qc1.jpg

I got these cows the other day, they are made by Britains and are made of a hard plastic. There was a bull as well but I?m not using him. Can anyone tell me what breed they are so that I can re-paint them in a less shiny finish than they are now. They will have a man behind herding them along.

Could I get away with painting them black and white and calling them Fresians or are they totally the wrong shape, they should of course be dairy shorthorns.

I've added a little cold frame for the yard foreman to grow some cucumbers in the summer.

p1010017wc0.jpg

According to Britains catalogue they are Jersey's.  With a good repaint they could pass as such but to me they are no particular breed.  Britains did various cattle from different moulds earlier in their history which are far better.  Mandy can give you the full low down but theya are still available via Mandy's website and Ebay amongst other places.  It may save you having to repaint these.

My thanks PDH, it didn?t say anything on the packaging. I will repaint these as Jersey?s at least they will do temporarily. I can check the colour out on the web.  I presume I?m ok with the breed in my time period ie, the late 1950?s to early 1960?s

Archived